Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM

578 posts, read 2,598,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttw View Post
-- Since August 08, I've used a UPS store mailbox address here in Charlotte to receive my mail (also only used a UPS address in NY since 2005.) Have never used my actual home address here for my mail. Will there be a problem using my UPS address (it's NOT a PO BOX but a street address) when I apply to the DMV to renew license? Before anyone accuses me of being suspicious, a terrorist or something, I'm a US citizen, born & lived in NY state all my life till last year, no criminal background, no arrest warrants or anything like that. My main reason for not wanting to give the DMV my actual home address is that I'm trying to keep that info away from a family member who's been personally threatening me about a family conflict (an inheritance) since early 2005. I've successfully kept my address hidden from him since then by using a UPS address & don't want to make it easy for him to find me now & harrass me, show up at my door! Also, I've moved 3 times since living in Charlotte, always sharing a place with a roommate (currently sharing w/ a male platonic friend) so don't consider my current address as permanent, might not stay here much longer. [/b]
I don't know about NC, but I did this in Washington state. I got a VERY nasty letter, "It has come to our attention that you may not reside at the address..." citing the statute that requires a physical address. That letter was so nasty and threatening, I couldn't get down to DMV fast enough to change to the physical address. You might want to look into what the penalty is for failing to renew your physical address within 10 days of moving. There is a law in most states that requires use of your physical address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM

98 posts, read 199,483 times
Hey everyone
I found this thread because I'm in a similar situation now in 2014
Live in International Falls, Minnesota renting a UPS Box in Niagara Falls, New York. Planning on moving for good this summer, but staying for a month in May. I want to switch my Minnesota license to a New York one.

The first year in NY might be touch and go - my UPS Mailbox will probably be the most stable address I have. I might have to try out a few places that I live at before I find an arrangement I like. I plan on using my UPS address. My questions to those with more experience and whatnot (I'm just finishing school):

Can I use my UPS Box (it's a street address) as my NY address for my license? Does this license help in making me a NY resident?
Would I lose my Minnesota-based health care just because I switched drivers licenses?
If I travel, would I have to change everything on my Passport now considering I have lived in Minnesota since birth?

Those of you from NY, I notice the new 2014 licenses last for eight years. The Minnesota ones last four. Is there a reason they've extended the expiry date in New York? It appears the cost will be about $80.

Thanks in advance!!

JJ

Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM

136 posts, read 390,222 times
NY has been 8 years for quite a while. I'm a NC resident now, but spent all of my previous 16 driving years in NY. I believe as long as you have a street address on your form, you should be fine to get a NY drivers license. I don't know anything about the MN based health care though -- I would imagine it depends on whether the plan requires you to be a MN resident or not.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,982,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlFalls56649 View Post
Hey everyone
I found this thread because I'm in a similar situation now in 2014
Live in International Falls, Minnesota renting a UPS Box in Niagara Falls, New York. Planning on moving for good this summer, but staying for a month in May. I want to switch my Minnesota license to a New York one.

The first year in NY might be touch and go - my UPS Mailbox will probably be the most stable address I have. I might have to try out a few places that I live at before I find an arrangement I like. I plan on using my UPS address. My questions to those with more experience and whatnot (I'm just finishing school):

Can I use my UPS Box (it's a street address) as my NY address for my license? Does this license help in making me a NY resident?
Would I lose my Minnesota-based health care just because I switched drivers licenses?
If I travel, would I have to change everything on my Passport now considering I have lived in Minnesota since birth?

Those of you from NY, I notice the new 2014 licenses last for eight years. The Minnesota ones last four. Is there a reason they've extended the expiry date in New York? It appears the cost will be about $80.

Thanks in advance!!

JJ
This is a Charlotte, North Carolina board. You may want to post this in NY and/or MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte