Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM

81 posts, read 177,261 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of applying for a position at Wingate University since I am finishing my Masters in Higher Education Administration but was curious if people knew much about the school? In particular how conservative would you all say the school is when comparing it with the other colleges/universities in the area? If I did end up working there I would probably commute form southeast Charlotte or Matthews.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam4884 View Post
I am thinking of applying for a position at Wingate University since I am finishing my Masters in Higher Education Administration but was curious if people knew much about the school? In particular how conservative would you all say the school is when comparing it with the other colleges/universities in the area? If I did end up working there I would probably commute form southeast Charlotte or Matthews.

Thanks for your help!
I would say that it is a pretty conservative school, compared to AppState, UNC, UNCC or even Winthrop. It definitely isn't a party school. There's little for students to do or to get into out in the Wingate/Marshville area. G

Its a pretty good drive out there from South Charlotte. Matthews would be closer, Stallings, Indian Trail and Monroe would be a better commute. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I would say that it is a pretty conservative school, compared to AppState, UNC, UNCC or even Winthrop. It definitely isn't a party school. There's little for students to do or to get into out in the Wingate/Marshville area. G

Its a pretty good drive out there from South Charlotte. Matthews would be closer, Stallings, Indian Trail and Monroe would be a better commute. Good luck!
It's getting more "wide open". Wingate has beer and wine sales at bars now! Shooter's Corner Bar and Grill on Hwy 74 right downtown two blocks or so from the University campus.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Commuting through Monroe traffic wouldn't be very pleasant at all.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM

81 posts, read 177,261 times
Thanks everyone, yeah if I did end up working there I would certainly not care to live in Indian Trail or Monroe, the closest I would want to live would be Matthews. I researched the school's website a little more and while it seems like a good school I got the sense that it is far more conservative for my liking, which is fine, it's good that there is a school out there that caters to those individuals looking for that in a college environment.

For me though being a moderately liberal gay man it's probably not the best fit...LOL. I'll keep trying the other schools in the area.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:45 PM

56 posts, read 109,692 times
You probably don't have enough paper to get hired there. Wingate's president says 95% of the faculty has terminal degrees in their field. They are only hiring experienced profs with earned doctorates. Even adjuncts are required to have a doctorate or be working towards one. The satellite campus in Matthews is offering a doctorate in education administration.

As a private church supported institution a large part of their operating revenue is dependent on private donations from individuals with strong ties to the church and community. While there may be those who share your beliefs with ties to the university they recognize that the life of the university has a higher priority.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:00 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
The University is where the Jesse Helms Center is located if that would be an indication on how conservative it might be.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
The University is where the Jesse Helms Center is located if that would be an indication on how conservative it might be.
Jesse was born and raised in Monroe, NC (Next town over) and briefly attended Wingate.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 AM

56 posts, read 109,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Jesse was born and raised in Monroe, NC (Next town over) and briefly attended Wingate.
The Jesse Helms Center is located in Wingate but is not a part of the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte