Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:02 PM

232 posts, read 728,720 times

Advertisements

I am reading the comments on Greatschools.net..and it leads me to believe the schools are a mixed bag..some good, some not so good.. based on the comments from the parents. Some comments are older (i.e. 2007, 2008). I am curious to hear from folks what they think of the elementary schools, and is there one that is better than another? I know back in 2004-2005, Marvin Ridge Elementary was great!! until the principal moved.

Is it still great? The reason I am asking, we are planning a move back to NC this fall..and I am researching online schools...for my daughter since she is due to start elementary school in the fall.

Also, I keep hearing Antioch is a great school?? I read Indianland was terrible, like a prison

thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 AM

494 posts, read 1,350,056 times
My kids attend Marvin and for 2 years Sandy Ridge...those schools are FABULOUS. Great Principals...Great Staff...Great building...so much parental involvement. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
Indianland is is South Carolina.

Most of the UC schools are just fine. Like schools in most school systems in the country they are good and not so good ones. There are a lot of Marvin cluster boosters here that will tell you that there are no schools in the land better. Weddington, Wesley Chapel, Kennsington, New Town are all excellent elementary schools as well.

My suggestion is to narrow down your choices and then spend some time at each school. Make an appointment for a tour. Most schools will have some summer hours so you can do this when school is out.

On other thing to point out. UCPS receives the majority of UC's budget. The school's budget has been cut for next year and will most likely get cut again unless a significant tax increase is passed. There's a fairly decent chance that some schools will have few teachers and more students in the classroom starting next year. The explosive growth in UC is now coming back to bite it in the behind.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 AM

539 posts, read 1,498,702 times
My son went to shiloh last year for kindergarden abd moved over to sun valley this year for 1st grade and we have no complaints.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:55 AM

97 posts, read 276,895 times
I hear great things from many elementary schools in the area. I can only personally speak about Marvin Elementary and Sandy Ridge and they are both excellent. Great teachers and great learning environment. They both feed into Marvin Ridge MS/HS and if you do a search you will see these schools are excellent. You can't go wrong finding an elementary school that feeds into this middle/high school.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,834 times
My children go to Porter Ridge and we love it!

Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Indianland is is South Carolina.

Most of the UC schools are just fine. Like schools in most school systems in the country they are good and not so good ones. There are a lot of Marvin cluster boosters here that will tell you that there are no schools in the land better. Weddington, Wesley Chapel, Kennsington, New Town are all excellent elementary schools as well.

My suggestion is to narrow down your choices and then spend some time at each school. Make an appointment for a tour. Most schools will have some summer hours so you can do this when school is out.

On other thing to point out. UCPS receives the majority of UC's budget. The school's budget has been cut for next year and will most likely get cut again unless a significant tax increase is passed. There's a fairly decent chance that some schools will have few teachers and more students in the classroom starting next year. The explosive growth in UC is now coming back to bite it in the behind.

Good luck
According to Union County Commissioners Baucom, Mills, and (ex-commissioner) Pressley "Residential Growth pays for itself!"

They kept saying that when the residential permits were being handed out like candy to every big Developer with deep pockets.

Now, where is that tax base that was supposed to pay for all this according to the "Big Three". All those homes haven't gone away.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
According to Union County Commissioners Baucom, Mills, and (ex-commissioner) Pressley "Residential Growth pays for itself!"

They kept saying that when the residential permits were being handed out like candy to every big Developer with deep pockets.

Now, where is that tax base that was supposed to pay for all this according to the "Big Three". All those homes haven't gone away.
How true! Those guys never met a developer they didn't like. You wouldn't think that their many real estate-related businesses had anything to do with their decisions! Just some Union County good ol' boys lining their pockets!
But maybe they will be correct in their "assessment" that "residential growth pays for itself" if we're all paying $10,000 in property taxes!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
jpq

48 posts, read 150,233 times
We've been at Rea View for two years and love it.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
The further west and northwest you go from Monroe, the better the schools IMO....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte