Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
If I don't move to South Carolina, I will be moving to Union County. Not Stallings or Indian Trail, I mean wayyyyyy out there.

Oh and Native_Son? Might wanna clean up after yourself after you make d-bag comments like that in response to a not-too-far-from-the-truth comments from people like "uber_bwnage". You're dripping douche juice all over the thread...
So... Is bwnage your boyfriend or just your dungeon master?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
I live in UC but literally 3 miles over the county line, so it's an easy jump into Meck. No kids so didn't have to worry about schools. We liked the country feel. Once the widening of Providence Rd is done that should help with traffic issues. I avoid Providence during peak hours and take back roads.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
We went to La Strada in Wesley Chapel last night and I was surprised to see a new development for estate homes starting at six and a half. I was also surprised to see some magnificient looking Spanish style homes on Indian Trail Road (I think). They were massive gated places.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
So... Is bwnage your boyfriend or just your dungeon master?
That is pathetic.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
That is pathetic.
Why was his question pathetic? I thought it was a legit question. Most LARPers play D&D so they would have a DM. I guess I don't get it.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
The difference is about $2000 a year in property taxes.
Oh, and your kid will graduate high school and actually know how to read.
Yo. I live in meck and my house taxed at almost 170k is only a little OVER 2k so the tax savings isnt that much . Surely a home in union worth 170k does not have 0 taxes,,,,,,,Another differance IF YOU PLAN TO WORK IN CHARLOTTE is that you will spend a great deal in gasoline going to work and back not to mention the hundreds of hours each year sitting in backed up traffic with the other day workers who dont live in charlotte yet work there......Do the kids in union score that much better on the required test that those in charlotte?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yo. I live in meck and my house taxed at almost 170k is only a little OVER 2k so the tax savings isnt that much . Surely a home in union worth 170k does not have 0 taxes,,,,,,,Another differance IF YOU PLAN TO WORK IN CHARLOTTE is that you will spend a great deal in gasoline going to work and back not to mention the hundreds of hours each year sitting in backed up traffic with the other day workers who dont live in charlotte yet work there......Do the kids in union score that much better on the required test that those in charlotte?
Coming from the great tax state of NJ, where property taxes of $1000 a month are common and $2000 a month, not exactly rare, I find the debate about tax differences between Meckinburg and Union County to be about as relevant as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! The location of your job and the patience and time as well as the expense you care to invest, while driving to it, should be the main determinants of which county you live in. Schools, when corrected for socio-economic factors are pretty much the same in regards to test scores!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Coming from the great tax state of NJ, where property taxes of $1000 a month are common and $2000 a month, not exactly rare, I find the debate about tax differences between Meckinburg and Union County to be about as relevant as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! The location of your job and the patience and time as well as the expense you care to invest, while driving to it, should be the main determinants of which county you live in. Schools, when corrected for socio-economic factors are pretty much the same in regards to test scores!

While completely discounting the first part of your post, the bold faced comments about education are EXACTLY CORRECT!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Nativechief - It's true, your taxes would be lower in most of Union County, but you might miss some of the services that Meck provides. Your house at its assessed value, would incurr about a $900 tax bill from Union County and a bill ranging from less than $100 (Marvin) to nearly as much as your Union County tax bill (Monroe), depending on what town in UC you live in. I'm in Monroe, which is almost as expensive as Charlotte - tax-wise. But I am willing to pay for the additional services that Monroe provides. I like having a paid fire dept located nearby. Watching that blurb (WBTV) on that huge house in Weddington burnt to the ground makes me feel a bit more secure about my decision! In a way, you get what you pay for!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM

358 posts, read 620,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
The difference is about $2000 a year in property taxes.
Oh, and your kid will graduate high school and actually know how to read.
Well if a kid graduates high school without knowing how to read, I place the blame on the parents and not the school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte