Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 PM

693 posts, read 2,175,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Don't know where you're located, but there is a place on Lawyers Rd just off of 485 that sells it - they have a forest of it around the place.
I've seen that place too. There is a number to call for Bamboo sales on a sign out front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM

59 posts, read 130,524 times
I found the Craigslist ad for bamboo... truck load for $20. This guy holds by his word, and I did get a truck load of high quality bamboo for $20. As soon as I showed up it rained, but I trucked through the poison ivy that my husband told me I was rolling in and cut all the bamboo I could ever desire. The seller even allowed us to remove excess branches and leave them on his property; he could not have been more accommodating. I got exactly what I asked for at an incredible price.

The harvesting was grueling. There was barbed wire that I kept forgetting to look for. Dragging the ideal pieces out of the bamboo forest was challenging, but not as much as cutting the pieces up. Don't be afraid of your knife cutting you in this process... sliced bamboo will tear your skin apart - I still have scars. Honestly though, this guy offers an incredible deal for a valuable resource.

In the end, I built multiple bamboo fences in my yard to keep my dogs out of landscaped areas. But then my dogs ate the fences. Damn.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
^^^^^wow. can you not just buy bamboo plants and just plant them???

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM

26 posts, read 70,086 times
Default Bamboo thoughts

I am in Fl but an avid bamboo grower / collector . Excellent info can be found at Tropical Bamboo Nursery - The Bamboo Plant Source I would recommend Only Clumping species, running species can send out shoot more than 20' and are almost impossible to destroy when they take over. Which they will !!!!! There are many bamboo nurseries online. and many beautiful variations.... "wamin" or Buddah belly make a thick screen that does not spread much and is really cool loooking

Good Luck

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM

59 posts, read 130,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well sure you can, but if you plant them in your yard they are likely to take over. The OP wants to build something with bamboo. The plants won't reach 25+ feet by next weekend...

Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
The plants won't reach 25+ feet by next weekend...
With the more invasive species, it might! Well, in the springtime, anyway. There was some behind a house I rented a few years ago - every Spring, I was out there, kicking down the new shoots that every year, were spreading farther and farther through the yard. If I missed one, and a day or two went by, the bamboo would be 2-3 feet high! In just a couple of days! I used to swear you could probably watch the stuff grow.

What is that word? Rhizome! I bet that whole back yard is one big bamboo network now, underground.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
soon2be...that is an excellent website. Thank you for sharing!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Trying to find some bamboo plants to create a screen/hedge.
Variegated Privet makes an attractive, very fast growing hedge that will create a good privacy screen without being invasive. I planted them next to the house and grew so aggravated at having then grow past the roof line every year that I just cut them out. I kept the ones around the edge of the yard.

If you haven't checked with your neighbors about putting bamboo between the yards, I would. They need to be OK about the potential of having something that might spread on to their property.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
I found the Craigslist ad for bamboo... truck load for $20. This guy holds by his word, and I did get a truck load of high quality bamboo for $20. As soon as I showed up it rained, but I trucked through the poison ivy that my husband told me I was rolling in and cut all the bamboo I could ever desire. The seller even allowed us to remove excess branches and leave them on his property; he could not have been more accommodating. I got exactly what I asked for at an incredible price.

The harvesting was grueling. There was barbed wire that I kept forgetting to look for. Dragging the ideal pieces out of the bamboo forest was challenging, but not as much as cutting the pieces up. Don't be afraid of your knife cutting you in this process... sliced bamboo will tear your skin apart - I still have scars. Honestly though, this guy offers an incredible deal for a valuable resource.

In the end, I built multiple bamboo fences in my yard to keep my dogs out of landscaped areas. But then my dogs ate the fences. Damn.
Aaagh-sounds like a bit of a task and I do value my DH!
He has already had one dose of poison ivy this year and barbed wire sounds awful-especially if rusty!
Thanks for the info anyway.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:03 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well idea was to make a privacy screen at the top of driveway for a patio area about 15 feet wide at the side of the house.
We thought it might be nice to have a mix of plants and the bamboo poles.
We chose Bamboo plants because it's a bit more contemporary than some other stuff and I like the noise of the wind blowing in it.
It isn't to go on a boundary line, or anywhere near a neighbors property (we have an acre)-
Someone suggested Leylandi trees but we just paid a fortune to have 6 of those removed along the back boundary as they were about 50 feet tall and an eyesore.In the UK we have laws about planting them as they are so rampant.Many people ignore it though and we have much smaller yards.
I don't like privet,or box-gets covered in cobwebs and smells plus not the look we want.
I understand that the clumped stuff is what we need.

DH went to a place in Huntersville and they will have some clumped plants in in the next few weeks at around $15 per plant.
Not sure how that compares to any other prices yet.
Thanks again for all the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte