Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2binNc View Post
I am in Fl but an avid bamboo grower / collector . Excellent info can be found at Tropical Bamboo Nursery - The Bamboo Plant Source I would recommend Only Clumping species, running species can send out shoot more than 20' and are almost impossible to destroy when they take over. Which they will !!!!! There are many bamboo nurseries online. and many beautiful variations.... "wamin" or Buddah belly make a thick screen that does not spread much and is really cool loooking

Good Luck
Ok-I did a search and looked like this Muhlenbergia dumosa - Bamboo Muhly Grasswas a good bet for us.Now they say that it will grow to 5 feet.Clicked on the pic for more info and took me to another site (US bamboo growers?)
Couldn't see this species and looks like min height for any species is 16 feet.
So do they mean 5 feet if you leave in the pot?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Ok-I did a search and looked like this Muhlenbergia dumosa - Bamboo Muhly Grasswas a good bet for us.Now they say that it will grow to 5 feet.Clicked on the pic for more info and took me to another site (US bamboo growers?)
Couldn't see this species and looks like min height for any species is 16 feet.
So do they mean 5 feet if you leave in the pot?
Thanks
Think we might be restricted as zone 8 and most clumping species are tropical.Would be between house and 10ft fence so fairly well protected. Another problem might be our clay soil as it says well drained. Maybe best in pots?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
susan, I looked at that site, too. I think that the plants from Sichuan,China would be good here. We have very similar climates. Our soil might be a bit of an issue, however, I see bamboo growing here, so, if the ground is well tilled when planted, it might be ok.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times
I have done tons of research and planted bamboo as a screening from my neighbor and their zoo-like amount of pets. I rented a trencher and put in 30in wide 60mil plastic bamboo barrier around the whole planting and also plan to root prune the rhizomes.

Running bamboo is pretty invasive so be careful and pick the right ones. Also make sure to choose a bamboo with leaves that are fairly low or else the bamboos leaves will be up too high for a good screen.
I bought 15 arrow bamboo plants from a very nice couple on the way to Wilmington.

Here's their website Porter Swamp Company - Home Page

Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 PM

26 posts, read 70,078 times
Default Bamboo Thoughts

Hi Susan,

Never thought I'd be talking Bamboo on the Charlotte forum ... but have loved Bamboo since I was a kid and lived in Asia for many years so it is a pleasure.

You really only have 2 limitations temperature ( zone) and personal taste or aesthetic. Bamboo grows fast in general, in Charlotte, depending on variety I think you could count on a 50% - 100% increase in the size of the clump per year. and the individual culms or canes will have the same increase in diameter and hight ... again variety dependent.

Bamboo is a grass and can range from 12'' to more than 100'. colors can be white, green, yellow, black, brown, blue, and even red. In general it is easy to prune and maintain... if you cut the growing tip, it stops at that hight and sends out lateral branches. If it sends out shoots in an area you don't like, just kick them to snap the sprout and that sprout dies.

Again I will say .. Do Not Plant Running Bamboo !!!!! once established it can not be destroyed !! ( well ok it can but why go through the hassle time and money) there have been many lawsuits from neighbors with invasive species, which gave Bamboo a bad name as a residential plant in the 70s-90s. plastic, concrete, RoundUp, not even kryptonite will stop the most aggressive varieties!!

I hope this is not too long ... but as I said I like the subject.!

I looked at what you found (Muhlenbergia dumosa) and from what I could see it is native to Arizona and New Mexico so that means it like Hot and Dry..... Not Charlotte !

Also many bamboo varieties that are listed in warmer areas will grow fine in NC but they will generally be shorter and slower growing.

Ok do here are some recommendations

Malay dwarf - varigated leavees, cold tolerant, hedge type easily pruned.

Malay Dwarf Bamboo, Bambusa glaucophylla - WhisperingWindsBamboo.com (http://www.whisperingwindsbamboo.com/malaydwarf_bamboo.htm - broken link)
BambooWeb - Bambusa glaucophylla - bamboo pictures and Information

Baby Blue - This looks cool -
Himalayacalamus hookerianus 'Baby Blue' - Dwarf Blue Bamboo
Himalayacalamus hookerianus 'Baby Blue'*at*San Marcos Growers

here is a great stand by but beautiful and should fit your needs
Bambusa textilis gracilis Dwarf (Dwarf Slender Weaver's Bamboo)
http://www.bamboo4u.com/Bamboo%20Pho...%207-26-09.jpg

Clumping Bamboo, Bambusa, Non-Invasive Bamboo, Bamboo Photos, Bamboo Descriptions, Bamboo For You ( 2/3 down the page)

Hope that helps an d not too boring ... time for bed

Bill

Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Great site also ... the arrow and green onion look really interesting and would work ... I'll keep that in my resources ! thanks

Bill

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Great site also ... the arrow and green onion look really interesting and would work ... I'll keep that in my resources ! thanks

Bill
Reference to flexysteve's post...

Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Hi Susan,

Never thought I'd be talking Bamboo on the Charlotte forum ... but have loved Bamboo since I was a kid and lived in Asia for many years so it is a pleasure.

You really only have 2 limitations temperature ( zone) and personal taste or aesthetic. Bamboo grows fast in general, in Charlotte, depending on variety I think you could count on a 50% - 100% increase in the size of the clump per year. and the individual culms or canes will have the same increase in diameter and hight ... again variety dependent.

Bamboo is a grass and can range from 12'' to more than 100'. colors can be white, green, yellow, black, brown, blue, and even red. In general it is easy to prune and maintain... if you cut the growing tip, it stops at that hight and sends out lateral branches. If it sends out shoots in an area you don't like, just kick them to snap the sprout and that sprout dies.

Again I will say .. Do Not Plant Running Bamboo !!!!! once established it can not be destroyed !! ( well ok it can but why go through the hassle time and money) there have been many lawsuits from neighbors with invasive species, which gave Bamboo a bad name as a residential plant in the 70s-90s. plastic, concrete, RoundUp, not even kryptonite will stop the most aggressive varieties!!

I hope this is not too long ... but as I said I like the subject.!

I looked at what you found (Muhlenbergia dumosa) and from what I could see it is native to Arizona and New Mexico so that means it like Hot and Dry..... Not Charlotte !

Also many bamboo varieties that are listed in warmer areas will grow fine in NC but they will generally be shorter and slower growing.

Ok do here are some recommendations

Malay dwarf - varigated leavees, cold tolerant, hedge type easily pruned.

Malay Dwarf Bamboo, Bambusa glaucophylla - WhisperingWindsBamboo.com (http://www.whisperingwindsbamboo.com/malaydwarf_bamboo.htm - broken link)
BambooWeb - Bambusa glaucophylla - bamboo pictures and Information

Baby Blue - This looks cool -
Himalayacalamus hookerianus 'Baby Blue' - Dwarf Blue Bamboo
Himalayacalamus hookerianus 'Baby Blue'*at*San Marcos Growers

here is a great stand by but beautiful and should fit your needs
Bambusa textilis gracilis Dwarf (Dwarf Slender Weaver's Bamboo)
http://www.bamboo4u.com/Bamboo%20Pho...%207-26-09.jpg

Clumping Bamboo, Bambusa, Non-Invasive Bamboo, Bamboo Photos, Bamboo Descriptions, Bamboo For You ( 2/3 down the page)

Hope that helps an d not too boring ... time for bed

Bill
Thanks so much-not boring at all!
I love bamboo but don't have much experience with it so great to get all this info.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times
Heres a link to runners vs clumpers. Clumping Bamboo Versus Running Bamboo

There's various methods for preventing them from running but you do have to be diligent. Bamboo gets a bad rep from people just planting it in the ground like any other plant and then it spreads. I'm going with the root pruning and bamboo barrier method. Some people make a raised bed or a trench around it and fill it with pea gravel or mulch.

It's not that invasive. If it were, the whole world would be overrun by bamboo and pandas. I mean, I put in a bunch of plants and mine are hardly growing despite watering and fertilizing pretty regularly.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Heres a link to runners vs clumpers. Clumping Bamboo Versus Running Bamboo

There's various methods for preventing them from running but you do have to be diligent. Bamboo gets a bad rep from people just planting it in the ground like any other plant and then it spreads. I'm going with the root pruning and bamboo barrier method. Some people make a raised bed or a trench around it and fill it with pea gravel or mulch.

It's not that invasive. If it were, the whole world would be overrun by bamboo and pandas. I mean, I put in a bunch of plants and mine are hardly growing despite watering and fertilizing pretty regularly.
LOL -imagining Pandas sitting at our patio area drinking iced tea!Wonder what the cat would make of that?
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte