Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
See, I knew there would be someone.
bs, its not being negative that you think is what people are, its whether the articles posted really have any teeth?

June, Meck was up 70% YOY in terms of 1st time filers. July was single digits YOY. Is this a one month blip? who knows? Its almost impossible to tell if this is "a ray of hope" or just a temporary blip. Will we be bouncing along the bottom for many months to come? Will this be a "V" shaped recovery (most likely not) or an "L" type? How about companies rehiring? Are things coming back fast or very slow? Or are they even hiring right now? Those are the most important questions...1 month is practically meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I read that article and the only statistic that I can find is where 5,097 people filed for unemployment benefits, for the first time, in July compared to 5844 in June. Doesn't say anything about the people who are filing for the 2nd 3rd 4th and so forth or who moved and didn't file at all.

Since the topic was pre-loaded with a bunch of name calling for anyone who doesn't get rays of hope from the simplistic light weight reporting in the Observer, I guess I should stop here.
If you read that article and only got one stat from it, then you either didn’t read all of it, or didn’t understand the numbers that were given. The most important “stat” from the article, was not the one you quoted. Here’s a synopsis for you…

“Initial” unemployment insurance claims…
July 08 vs. July 09 = 5% increase
June 08 vs June 09 = 76% increase

And please ignore CouponJack’s usual conjecture. That article simply stated a “fact”. Layoff’s have slowed…for the current months reviewed…period. Very short and to the point. It’s probably the world’s shortest article, but somehow he “interpreted” it to say…”Happy days are here again…All’s well now…Here comes the V shaped recovery!!!” WTH????

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Well, one thing for sure. Once the layoffs stop, then at least no more folks are gonna be newly unemployed . . . so perhaps then we can start seeing hiring again.

BLUE: Actually, your anecdotal info about your friends is the most uplifting news I have heard lately. What I care about is the story of the man on the street. If our friends and family members are losing jobs and having no success with finding a job - that tells a story about this region. If folks are starting to land jobs again - that also tells a story.

In any case, I prefer hearing what is happening to my friends and neighbors and considering that as part of any "equation" that might show a recovery trend.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM

630 posts, read 1,878,545 times
I don't see how layoffs slowing can be considered good news. It's better news that "layoffs picking up steam" but not news like "less people out of jobs that were comparable to the ones they had before the recession than last month"

So if 5000 people get laid off for 12 months in a row, then in 13th month only 4500 get canned, we're supposed to feel good. Call me negative, but I don't.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
This is just a little glimmer of hope before things get really bad this Fall. Did I mention I plan on going short in my investment portfolio sometime between August 19th-21st. For people that don't know anything about the stock market going "Short" means that you think the market will go down!!!

oh this is ripe.

I'm supposed to believe someone who can't find a $15/hr job when they give me investment advice!?! Don't hold your breath sweetheart. What do you invest in? Future predicting wizard Troll dolls?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, one thing for sure. Once the layoffs stop, then at least no more folks are gonna be newly unemployed . . . so perhaps then we can start seeing hiring again.

BLUE: Actually, your anecdotal info about your friends is the most uplifting news I have heard lately. What I care about is the story of the man on the street. If our friends and family members are losing jobs and having no success with finding a job - that tells a story about this region. If folks are starting to land jobs again - that also tells a story.

In any case, I prefer hearing what is happening to my friends and neighbors and considering that as part of any "equation" that might show a recovery trend.
Ani, I just hope people realize that layoffs are not going to “stop”. They’ll only slow. Companies like the big banks will continue to layoff in mass in the 4th quarter so they can make their annual budget numbers, etc., and manufacturing plants in the area will still let people go as things like foreign competition and technology continue to take their toll on their respective industries. IMO, when people say layoffs slowing is not good news, I feel they don’t’ have a good grip on the economy in general. It’s like the “Anyone noticed a lot of companies going out of business?” thread. That thread is full of restaurant listings, as if restaurants don’t open and fold daily in good times. Someone could start a thread full of restaurant closings in any economic cycle.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,781 times
It's a cycle, so maybe this is the upward trend we have all been hoping for. I like quarter trends vs. monthly, but I will still look at this in a positve light. I have also had friends say there are more jobs out there and two who got laid off early in this year got jobs. Some teachers are going back, Banks watching the market go up are seeing a flurry of investors, and hiring for that field, which in turn leads to more jobs as people get paid. It's going to take time. But hopefully this is that spark, that ignites us and the journey begins to growth.

(Note: anything negative that could be said has been withheld, because frankly I am sick of the negative)

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
If you read that article and only got one stat from it, then you either didn’t read all of it, or didn’t understand the numbers that were given. The most important “stat” from the article, was not the one you quoted. Here’s a synopsis for you…

“Initial” unemployment insurance claims…
July 08 vs. July 09 = 5% increase
June 08 vs June 09 = 76% increase

Son, you don't know what is important to me nor my capability to read and comprehend the silly articles in the Observer.

What was happening in June 08 is irrelevant especially in regards to the OP. As far as understanding the numbers, what you completely and apparently miss is the fact that only proves that unemployment went up in July 08 as compared to June 08. Useless reporting. As I said irrelevant, to me, but if it is important to you for some reason, then so be it.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM

716 posts, read 1,545,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
oh this is ripe.

I'm supposed to believe someone who can't find a $15/hr job when they give me investment advice!?! Don't hold your breath sweetheart. What do you invest in? Future predicting wizard Troll dolls?

When the market comes down this Fall and unemployment hits new highs don't tell me I got lucky!!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Son, you don't know what is important to me nor my capability to read and comprehend the silly articles in the Observer.

What was happening in June 08 is irrelevant especially in regards to the OP. As far as understanding the numbers, what you completely and apparently miss is the fact that only proves that unemployment went up in July 08 as compared to June 08. Useless reporting. As I said irrelevant, to me, but if it is important to you for some reason, then so be it.
Actually, your reply proves my point about people’s reading comprehension, especially the comment about June 2008 not being relevant. After reading your diatribe, I have NO idea what article you are referring to. Because you’re definitely not referring to the one the OP noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte