Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

You know, it's funny... often we write posts here with such vigor and passion that it seems like we believe that it actually has an impact on the direction that the economy is taking. Some like to be in the Doom n' Gloom club, others like to be in the Fluffy Puppy group - a host of people ride in between, some switch depending on mood or simply to troll. It's a very interesting dynamic and gives us many a "popcorn moment". Awesome stuff... and if it changed, I'd definitely not enjoy reading a steady stream of agreements and back patting = boring. Good lively debate is fun and there is truth to the fact that people come here for relocation advice... so there is a bit of "responsibility" in what we post here.

Anyway... back on the subject of the thread. As much as I'd like to jump on board that granite rock of stellar journalism they call the "Charlotte Observer", I just cannot bring myself to do it. I have a feeling that there are many people who feel the same way and one has to realize that when you offer info it opens up the source to debate, in addition to the info itself. So a lightweight, fluff paper like the Observer is prime to be picked apart.

I never like seeing people out of work and I've been around this board long enough to know that Charlotte has a big problem with people coming to find work... Layoffs may be "slowing" according to the crack actuarial team at the Observer, but there's no real indication of what those stats mean for the future. A host of 100k jobs could begin to crop up in Charlotte soon or a bunch more people are going to lose their jobs through the rest of this year. I think folks reading this and even the ones who write for the Observer know which is the likely scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Hey, Mikey!

I have posted many times that jobs lost here have been just that - LOST. It's not like a layoff that occurs in the manufacturing sector when orders are temporarily down . . . and everyone will be hired back again when orders go up.

On another thread this week, we saw a post from someone who moved here a few years ago and is now moving back "home" - cause they can't find a job here after being laid off - but they did find one in NJ.

There will be a lot of natural attrition - w/ folks who have been here six or less years packing up and going elsewhere to find a job. Housing has come down in many areas and folks are finding they can now buy a home in some areas of the NE for a lot less than they sold a similar property back in 2005.

The problem comes in with selling their property here. Those who can sell are usually moving out of state.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 AM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Three months from now you are going to wish 100% of your portfolio was invested in short securities(stocks).

Hope everyone is getting in their short positions this week. I know I am Looks like we could potentially have a very short term bear flag setup on the Dow this week which in layman's terms means look out below I think in the next 3-6 months some of my short ETF's will have netted me over 500+%

Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Hope everyone is getting in their short positions this week. I know I am Looks like we could potentially have a very short term bear flag setup on the Dow this week which in layman's terms means look out below I think in the next 3-6 months some of my short ETF's will have netted me over 500+%
awesome!

Perhaps you should look for work as a market analyst or financial advisor. Seems you're selling yourself short as a $15/hr administrative assistant...

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
awesome!

Perhaps you should look for work as a market analyst or financial advisor. Seems you're selling yourself short as a $15/hr administrative assistant...

Good luck!

Hehe I try my best. Its going to be very bad over the next few weeks/months in the stock market and you have my word on that!!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
Quote:
Hehe I try my best. Its going to be very bad over the next few weeks/months in the stock market and you have my word on that!!!!
too easy...

Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
too easy...

Yes it is too easy. I have been pounding my fist these last two months telling people how bad this Fall of 2009 is going to be and they just laugh and tell me im full of it. The Dow is still over 9000 but what happens when it goes under 8000 and then 7000 and then 6000 and then 5000? You will start hearing more doom and gloom on the news these next few weeks and don't say you weren't warned!!! On top of the economy going down look out for massive Swine Flu deaths happening as well as a possible huge Mideast War!!!! Things are going to materialize quite quickly I believe!!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Yes it is too easy. I have been pounding my fist these last two months telling people how bad this Fall of 2009 is going to be and they just laugh and tell me im full of it. The Dow is still over 9000 but what happens when it goes under 8000 and then 7000 and then 6000 and then 5000? You will start hearing more doom and gloom on the news these next few weeks and don't say you weren't warned!!! On top of the economy going down look out for massive Swine Flu deaths happening as well as a possible huge Mideast War!!!! Things are going to materialize quite quickly I believe!!!!
Time for your daily Xanax Chicken Little

Old 08-17-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Time for your daily Xanax Chicken Little

There is no hiding behind the bushes on this one. Change is coming and it is going to be a big one. People better get ready

Old 08-17-2009, 04:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
There is no hiding behind the bushes on this one. Change is coming and it is going to be a big one. People better get ready
Change HAS come And here's a news flash - change will continue to come. Change is the only constant in the universe. Believe me, you have nothing to fear but fear itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte