Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 AM

152 posts, read 622,911 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 40's , no children at home and we both work from home. Originally from the UK we have been in the States for 5 years now. At the moment we live in Asheville but are looking to maybe move to the Lake Norman area. Our budget is $800k tops and we would love a home actually on the lake. We enjoy eating out, walking (we have 3 large dogs ) and boating so we were thinking the Cornelius or Huntersville area.
We are visiting the area next weekend. To have a look around and see if its an area that could work for us. We love Asheville but miss the water. We also travel alot and the connections from Charlotte are excellent. For anybody who lives in this area is there any places you suggest we check out or any places to avoid. At this point we do not want to bother a Realtor as we are just at the research stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Have you checked out Davidson as well? You may also want to look over The Point in Mooresville.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy02 View Post
My husband and I are in our 40's , no children at home and we both work from home. Originally from the UK we have been in the States for 5 years now. At the moment we live in Asheville but are looking to maybe move to the Lake Norman area. Our budget is $800k tops and we would love a home actually on the lake. We enjoy eating out, walking (we have 3 large dogs ) and boating so we were thinking the Cornelius or Huntersville area.
We are visiting the area next weekend. To have a look around and see if its an area that could work for us. We love Asheville but miss the water. We also travel alot and the connections from Charlotte are excellent. For anybody who lives in this area is there any places you suggest we check out or any places to avoid. At this point we do not want to bother a Realtor as we are just at the research stage.
With that kind of money to spend I'd stay closer to Asheville and buy on Lake James, which is the prettiest lake in all of NC in my opinion

Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
If you are looking for waterfront on Lake Norman, then I can't really think of any areas that you would want to avoid. With $800K you should be able to find a nice house on the lake with a main channel view. (though this might be a bit of a challenge in the Huntersville/Cornelius portions) Keep in mind that real estate on lakefront has been subject to wild levels of appreciation during the housing boom and is now depreciating in a similar manner.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy02 View Post
Theres tons of opportunity around Lake Norman. It might be a bit difficult to find waterfront at 800K, but anything for half that amount will be quite nice. I live in Cornelius and there are tons of fabulous areas around within walking distance to amenities. My son and friends are returning from London in a week, and my friends are looking for a place in the area. One of them has traveled around and really loves the Berkdale area which is on the border of Cornelius and Huntersville. Davidson is nice but a quite a bit quieter than its next door neighbor, Cornelius. I would suggest looking at the development on Knox Ave. in Cornelius or Liverpool off of Catawba Ave., both in Cornelius. Everyone loves Cornelius. Good luck and be sure to check out Cornelius. By the way, Cornelius is divided by I-77. All of the new areas are on the west side of the highway. The other side is interesting too, but older. The area is very safe everywhere practically.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,032 times
I just did a quick search on Allen Tate's website for waterfront homes on Lake Norman from $500K - $800K and got 191 listings. Obviously the ones near the top price range have better locations (closer to Charlotte) and nicer homes... I'd say you will have no problem finding your home somewhere in the bunch. Let me know if you need help with the search but the site is pretty user friendly.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM

152 posts, read 622,911 times
Thanks for all your responses so far. My husband and I actually drove out to Lake James this afternoon after someone mentioned it on here. It was very beautiful but too remote for us. The reason we were looking around Cornelius and Huntersville was that there seem to be a few restaurants etc and the fairly close proximity to Charlotte for an evening out. Asheville is wonderful but it is nice to get dressed up sometimes and go out for a meal!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:28 PM

622 posts, read 1,783,175 times
I know your current interest is Lake Norman. I would also add Lake Wylie to your consideration. When I moved here 10 years ago, I originally concentrated on Lake Norman, but after careful consideration, I have ended up on Lake Wylie. They both have the access to the city and are different in lifestyle and affordability.

We love it here and would be happy to share our experience.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 AM

407 posts, read 852,026 times
[quote (We enjoy eating out, walking (we have 3 large dogs ) and boating so we were thinking the Cornelius or Huntersville area).
quote]One thing I especially enjoy about living in the Cornelius/Huntersville area is the number of bars and restaurants that allow you to bring your dog(s) along while you dine or drink.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:46 PM

59 posts, read 138,374 times
What are some of the bars in Cornelius that you can take your dog ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte