Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:50 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

Yeah...And if the guy was really trying to run someone off the road, why would he get in front on a multilane road? Then, if he was trying to "get them to stop" at such a slow rate of speed, how would she be able to shake him by darting across traffic? It doesn't add up. And was there more than one person in the car? If not, no gang issue. Sounds more like road rage/general jerkish driving behavior than anything gang-related. Is it possible the lady in the Jeep cut this guy off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Sorry, but I will never carry a gun or have one in my house either.
Then at the very least get a dog & institute a neighborhood watch.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Just sounds like a bad driver.

He was behind you on your tail - I see this every day on 77 when I'm driving too slowly for the car in front of me.
He went around you -- ok, he decided not to drive through you, but go around you
He stayed on your left hand side and tried to push you over - again, I see this every day on 77. I'm driving too slowly so you tryt o get in front of me with inches to spare. Ummm... why didn't your friend slow down or speed up and get out of his way

He was in front of you and tried to get you to stop --- ???????? Did he stop??? As fast as people drive on independance?? how did he try to get you to stop.

There are a bunch of urban legand about gangs driving with lighte off, etc.... Sounds like something that was forwarded via email back in 1999.

Sorry... doesn't make sense to me. ;-)
It wasn't me in the car.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
I think that it could have happened. I understand when one is in a anxious situation he/she may be thinking of staying alive and not thinking of 911. Also, I understand that it is not always easy to get a tag number if the car's lights are turned off. You have to be at the right distance and angle. These things are not unusual in the Charlotte area. If one doesn't wish to carry a gun, at least have pepper spray or a taser. I don't understand how so many subscribers doubt that this incident may have happened.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I think that it could have happened. I understand when one is in a anxious situation he/she may be thinking of staying alive and not thinking of 911. Also, I understand that it is not always easy to get a tag number if the car's lights are turned off. You have to be at the right distance and angle. These things are not unusual in the Charlotte area. If one doesn't wish to carry a gun, at least have pepper spray or a taser. I don't understand how so many subscribers doubt that this incident may have happened.

Maybe for the good of Charlottes reputation?
I don't understand the gun mentality.

If soemone can direct me to some evidence that shows that you are less likely to be shot by an intruder if you have a gun in the house (rather than end up being shot yourself when you pull the gun on someone who is not half asleep, whose vision isn't trying to adjust to the dark and has fired a gun heaven knows how many more times than average joe) then I will consider having one.

I know that most people have them.Our neighbors do.Makes me laugh at the thought of the lady of the house (4'11) hearing an intruder, putting her bedside lamp on,getting out of bed, getting the gun from wherever it is and successfully shooting someone before they shoot her.
I assume all these people carry guns too and know that most people have them at home so they are far more prepared than us.

Now Taser or Mace I could do.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
It wasn't me in the car.
I know you weren't there.

You might want to check out snopes.com. If you do a search for gans, you'll see several posts that include parts of what your friend shared with you. I agree, her story didn't make much sense. Either an Urban Legend or a bad driver.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Maybe for the good of Charlottes reputation?
I don't understand the gun mentality.

If soemone can direct me to some evidence that shows that you are less likely to be shot by an intruder if you have a gun in the house (rather than end up being shot yourself when you pull the gun on someone who is not half asleep, whose vision isn't trying to adjust to the dark and has fired a gun heaven knows how many more times than average joe) then I will consider having one.

I know that most people have them.Our neighbors do.Makes me laugh at the thought of the lady of the house (4'11) hearing an intruder, putting her bedside lamp on,getting out of bed, getting the gun from wherever it is and successfully shooting someone before they shoot her.
I assume all these people carry guns too and know that most people have them at home so they are far more prepared than us.

Now Taser or Mace I could do.
Susan, it isn't wrong to not want a gun, but home intrusions happen in the area as well as other large cities. When someone burst into one's home, nothing good will come out of it. I don't worry about burglaries as I have alarm systems, etc., but a home intrusion can randomly happen to anyone and I don't feel like swinging a bat at the intruder. At my age, it is easier to just aim and fire

Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I know you weren't there.

You might want to check out snopes.com. If you do a search for gans, you'll see several posts that include parts of what your friend shared with you. I agree, her story didn't make much sense. Either an Urban Legend or a bad driver.
Thanks, maybe she will come clean.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Quote:
While I don't have links to statistical data (and admittedly relying on you to *trust me ), I can go off of memory of incidents involving armed home owners vs. un-armed. Rarely do you hear of a burglary or home invasion that ended in tragedy (i.e. the innocent home owners being brutally or lethally harmed) when the owner is armed. You ALWAYS hear of the situation ending unfavorably (either bodily harm or death, or the lesser situation of the thieves walking away with your hard earned "stuff") when the owner is unarmed.

As far as the end of your paragraph goes (about them being a better shot and you being at a disadvantage)...I mean this in a civil manner: you couldn't be more wrong. The VAST majority of the trash out there that would commit the type of crime we're talking about are nothing more than posers when it comes to weapons--meaning that they only "look good" with their weapon and hardly ever know how to effectively use it. As an honest, law abiding citizen, you have the advantage of being able to casually train and become relatively effective with your weapon--that is, you can go take a formal training class, go practice at the range every few months...heck, even just reading a few articles on suggestions for defending yourself in these situations can put you at the advantage. unfortunately, these activities are deemed as radical or extremist by today's culture and a "normal" person wouldn't be caught dead in a gun range for fear of being labeled a red neck or gun extremist! My point is, you'll never find a secret gang training range where they practice shooting at targets...and contrary to movies and TV show's depiction, they don't engage in anything near a real "battle" to become trained "on the job." Most don't even know how to hold a gun the right way (think the classic gang member sideways grip).

As far as your eyes adjusting and their's not...you've got it backwards. They are the one's coming in from the outside where there are car headlights, street lamps, your front porch light...shoot, even a hallway night light can throw a person't night vision off. You, on the other hand, have had your eyes closed (blackness) for hours. The only really tough thing for the homeowner to do is quickly assess what is going on and who is in your house! Most modern handguns come with "High Vis" sights that are painted with glow in the dark paint or some highly contrasting color (white on black). Some even have a tiny piece of low-emitting radioactive material to permanently glow. Still, even without these aides, just hitting the range a good number of times and becoming familiar with your weapon will allow you to almost be able to point and shoot without seeing the end of the barrel. This works just fine in close quarters (i.e. your house).

The only reason I'm ranting about this is because you made a thread about a classic example where if the person had a weapon in them, they'd likely have been much more calm in control of the situation. I'm not saying they would have waved the gun around like a lunatic, but they would have been able to make a better decision on how to handle things. Let's face it, cutting across 4 lanes of traffic is not the brightest thing in the world to do. Calling the cops, driving by rowded places, or anything else would have been a little more intelligent.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I will never carry a gun or have one in my house either.
Susan....Please don't EVER give the slightest hint about where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte