Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
carjackings where very common in Charlotte when I first moved here in the mid 90's

oh gosh, yes I remember that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

231 posts, read 576,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I am saying that there is more than enough to be concerned about in Charlotte and elsewhere than to post well known urban legends and invite 4 pages of comments. It is a legend. I don't want to waste my time reading about someone hiding in the backseat of my car in the parking lot at SouthPark so that they can steal my kidneys either.

Lol. +1

Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,820 times
Giving her the benefit of the doubt, it sounds to me like either a bad driver and a woman with a vivid imagination that tends to believe urban legends

or

a case of road rage and/or bad driving.

I've had a truck driver, like 18 wheeler, do some similiar things when I guess I cut them off or something trying to merge one day. Scared me too death, he drove up alongside me on the breakdown lane and all. I was panicing and when I finally had the presence of mind to pick up my phone, I think he saw me and he backed off.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:56 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,820 times
And having a gun in your own home is a personal decision, there is no right or wrong and no one is superiour based on the decision they have made. I might change my mind but I personally don't want guns in my house. I have a 7 year old living with me. I also think it gives people a false sense of security. The odds of getting to a gun and being able to use it effectively (particularly when there are children in the house and you need to keep it locked up) is pretty slim. Take a look at the FBI statistics on cops and what not and how often trained police officers miss. It kind of puts things into perspective. Every Joe Blow thinks he is going to have perfect aim in a stressful situation.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
I hate to tell your friend but this was probably just a typical crappy driver. I drive in that area every day and am constantly tailgated and see people with their lights off at night. They are just a-holes, not necessarily gang members.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
carjackings where very common in Charlotte when I first moved here in the mid 90's
As they were everywhere. It was a fad that criminals went through.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
...I also think it gives people a false sense of security. The odds of getting to a gun and being able to use it effectively (particularly when there are children in the house and you need to keep it locked up) is pretty slim...
Sure...if the gun is kept in a safe that doesn't allow quick access.

Quote:
...Take a look at the FBI statistics on cops and what not and how often trained police officers miss...
Please provide some links to these stats. I'm not aware of the FBI publishing stats on how often police officers miss.

Quote:
...Every Joe Blow thinks he is going to have perfect aim in a stressful situation.
This is why training for these unique and rare circumstance is critical if you're going to arm yourself. Buying the gun is barely half the battle.

If you don't choose to arm yourself, that's fine...and I agree that it doesn't make you any less "superior" to someone who does. But please don't make up irrational comments that underhandedly insult those who do. The tone of this post is sincerely in the negative toward folks who choose to protect themselves, responsibly, and practice handling the rare event of having to fire under stress. If you don't like exercising your right to bear arms, gracefully bow out and leave it at that...don't try to disarm those who do.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Also, you assume that the intent is to kill the person who has illegally entered your home. If I'm locked in my bedroom and I put a round or two through the door as someone is trying to come through it, do you think they're gonna stick around and keep trying, or do you suppose they are gonna grab what they can on their way (quickly) back outta the house?

My bet is the latter, and that's just fine with me. I don't want anyone's blood on my hands, but I will not be defenseless should I be put in that unfortunate situation. Relying on a criminal's good nature to not kill/harm me or my family in the course of a home invasion is not a very safe bet in my book.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
wow.....

you do not know for a fact if this was a legend just because the beloved internet states that it is.

It's not just "the internet". A non-biased, reputable site that does their research says this particular type of incident is an urban legend, as do numerous newspaper articles. Why feed into hysteria?

I'm sorry for your DH's experience, but that's not what was being discussed.

Do crappy things happen? Yep. But enough happen in real life without needing to disseminate & spread false rumors.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Sure...if the gun is kept in a safe that doesn't allow quick access.

Please provide some links to these stats. I'm not aware of the FBI publishing stats on how often police officers miss.

This is why training for these unique and rare circumstance is critical if you're going to arm yourself. Buying the gun is barely half the battle.

If you don't choose to arm yourself, that's fine...and I agree that it doesn't make you any less "superior" to someone who does. But please don't make up irrational comments that underhandedly insult those who do. The tone of this post is sincerely in the negative toward folks who choose to protect themselves, responsibly, and practice handling the rare event of having to fire under stress. If you don't like exercising your right to bear arms, gracefully bow out and leave it at that...don't try to disarm those who do.

+1

and I too, would like to see those stats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte