Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:52 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

I spent many years in the armed forces. I am an expert with many weapons. I know how to handle them. The problem isn't whether a person is proficient in firing a weapon, it is whether the person can maintain a "non-panic" condition while facing a threatening situation. A proficient shooter will likely need to fire four or five rounds in order to stop the opposing force (criminal). If someone in the situation panics, it is likely that the target will be missed, the criminal will be more pissed off and the good guy can kiss it goodby. Most people don't need to have guns around until they are proven marksmen and able to remain cool in situations. Firing and asking questions later doesn't work well with the law either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
+1 Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Most people don't need to have guns around until they are proven marksmen and able to remain cool in situations. Firing and asking questions later doesn't work well with the law either.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
I have heard of several times when a woman was in a car and stoped at a light only to have some SOB rush up and try to open the door. Keep them locked and dont get lost at night. As far as guns go its nice to know that if you are facing a bad situation and break down in the wrong place or you have an accident and it turns into a conflect where you are in danger its very nice to KNOW that with the gun (as long as you dont pull it unless you plan to shoot) that you have some say in the matter and arent 100% at the mercy of some crackhead/thug/homeboy wantabee criminal. If you are a hot head .DONT carry a gun just drive away if you can.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times
Default reply to your post

Dear Susan42,
It sound like this is typical of what happens often in and around Charlotte. I am very convinced that we have some of the worst drivers in the country! I believe you were being harrassed... you should have called the cops and reported him to them. I have lived in east Charlotte for six years now and tired of dealing with all this day in day out, week in week out... my family and I would like to move out of the city eventually - more calm and peaceful? Thank you for sharing your experience.

TK
[email]tk.yahagi@gmail.com[/email]

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Hi
My friend just told me this

On our way back we took a different way home and ended up on Independence, trying to get to 277. She was driving and has one of those 4 doors Jeep Wranglers. Anyway, we are both pretty sure we were targeted by a gang member….for what I have no idea. He crossed over the lanes, turned his lights off and got right behind us….almost tapping us. Luckily she stayed calm, and I did too. He passed slowly on our left staying by us for a while, trying to get us over.
He was driving a Caprice Classic and it looked like it had bullet holes that had been covered with Bondo. Anyway, he gets in front of us, lights still off so no license number and tries to get us to stop. Right at the last minute when the two exits went east and west, Terri drove left across many lanes of traffic to get away from him and he had to continue the way he was heading.

Her 3 year old was in the back.

Does this sound typical of a gang thing, was it just someone messing around?
All thoughts welcome!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
AGAIN..

do a simple internet search on Urban Legends and you will find this story in a number of different flavors. URBAN LEGEND.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
AGAIN..

do a simple internet search on Urban Legends and you will find this story in a number of different flavors. URBAN LEGEND.

so what you are saying is that something of this caliber could not possibly happen, in today's society?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 PM

197 posts, read 479,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Sorry, but I will never carry a gun or have one in my house either.

Guns are not a bad thing I have one in the house with me in the closet. Guns are like any tool and can one day save your life if needed.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I am saying that there is more than enough to be concerned about in Charlotte and elsewhere than to post well known urban legends and invite 4 pages of comments. It is a legend. I don't want to waste my time reading about someone hiding in the backseat of my car in the parking lot at SouthPark so that they can steal my kidneys either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
so what you are saying is that something of this caliber could not possibly happen, in today's society?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I am saying that there is more than enough to be concerned about in Charlotte and elsewhere than to post well known urban legends and invite 4 pages of comments. It is a legend. I don't want to waste my time reading about someone hiding in the backseat of my car in the parking lot at SouthPark so that they can steal my kidneys either.

wow.....

you do not know for a fact if this was a legend just because the beloved internet states that it is.

If you think such things are so out there and urban legend I encourage to pick up issues of handgun magazines and read some of those stories.
Maybe then you won't be so quick to blow things off just because they are far fetched.

I mean it could be said that it is far fetched for someone to walk up to another's vehicle while sitting at a light, and the person walking up to the vehicle attempting to provoke the driver who was doing nothing but minding his own business to get out of the car so he could be beat the hell out of him. But it happened to my DH over the Christmas shopping season.

My suggestion to you, is to slow down stop being so flip and realize that these things DO happen.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
carjackings where very common in Charlotte when I first moved here in the mid 90's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte