Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times

Advertisements

some of it might be luck. My husband and I don't have kids yet. I'm 32, he's almost 29. When we moved here I became fast friends with a couple of girls I worked with at the time. They are younger, in their early-mid 20s, but two of them are married, so built in friends for my husband. Next we bought a house and met the most awesome neighbors in the world. They are now some of our closest friends. As we met friends of our friends, we increased our circle.

It is pretty hard to have close friends w/o kids when you are our age. I know lots of people in our neighborhood, but we are not friends b/c they have a little mom clique. Now even my younger girlfriends are starting to have kids, but luckily they still include us. It's usually fine except when we want to do something later at night, or have people over here. Seems people w/little ones want to be home so they can go to bed on time. Understandable. Hang in there, you will make friends in time, and once you make a couple, they multiply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM

64 posts, read 122,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
You sound a lot like us...minus the karaoke part ! LOL. Also...I'm your age, but I have a older DH.

It's really hard to meet people in UC unless you have kids, I agree.
Well I'm 30, but Hubby is 36, so he's a little older than me. We don't mind hangin with 20-somethings though as long as things don't get too crazy! LOL! We LOVE The Breakfast Club uptown, its a really fun 80's club, but it loses its appeal after you've gone with just the two of you 5 or 6 times.

Hubby is getting so discouraged he's almost ready to move to a bigger city! Just teasing of course but he has hinted at it in times of desperation.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,905,707 times
As newcomers to Charlotte, we're having trouble finding friends too. Our problem is we're in our mid-40s and our kids are out of the house in college. Everyone we meet is either just having children (tied down) or they are much older than us. We like getting out and doing things, which we do together and enjoy, but it would be nice to have dinner and drinks with another couple once in a while. My husband has a good friend from work who we go out with frequently, but he doesn't have a wife, so I'm like the 3rd wheel hanging out with the fellas. I've joined meet-up groups and have met some people, but most of them are single and in a different phase of life. I will keep pursuing this avenue though. I also volunteer for two organizations, so I feel as though I'm making the effort to get out and be among people. I'm just having trouble connecting with other nice couples!! My husband and I joke that we're going to start wearing signs that say "Want to be friends?"

Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
Based upon what I'm reading , you two are experiencing the same or similar thing as myself. All of my longtime friends have kids and they keep asking me when I'll have some!! Some of the queries have arisen from jealousy , others from curiosity. With this in mind , I started my travels in 2007 and haven't looked back. What they don't seem to comprehend is I will embark on this path when I'm ready , not at their discretion. They tell me I'm selfish because I fly solo , but following a departure from an ex who thought I slept with my cousin , so it shall be!!
Anyway , try going downtown on Thursday to Alive After Five. I'm sure you two will meet the missing piece to your puzzle. Good Luck in your endeavours!!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,807 times
My husband and I live in Matthews, NC. He has been living her for 5 years, and I for 2 years. We have been married for 5 months, and would reaaly like to meet new married couples. I want to make live long friends, that I could consider family, and raise our children together once we have them.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,807 times
Man, my husband and I have no friends ... I feel your pain. We just joined Lifestyle Family Fitness so hopefully we will meet new people. My DH is 8 years older, I am 21 years old and want to make friends already. I am a nanny, and full time student. My only friends are the mom's I babysit for. Hahaha we have the same name !!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,812 times
Well, Charlotte is a very, very, very hard place to make friends. Nobody will say this, but Charlotte is a very snobbish city for no reason at all. I am not saying that you can't make friends at all here in Charlotte, but it takes a long time and you have to weed out so many people. I have lived here since Sept. of 1988 and over the years I have learned so much about this city that I can't stand. If you don't have the "RIGHT" look or don't shop at the "RIGHT" places or don't live in the "RIGHT" area of town you are looked down upon and sneered at. People should accept people for who they are and NOT what they have. To tell you how pretentious Charlotte is, the favorite word in this city is "UPSCALE". Read the newspaper or listen to the local news stations. Everything in South East Charlotte is UPSCALE. So, back to your question. It is very hard to make friends here in Charlotte. It is not you, it is the city and they way it's mind set is.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Charlotte is a city made up of people from all over. Sixty percent of the inhabitants are from other states and countries. Moderator cut: rude Making friends anywhere can be difficult. I am a native that has been away for many years and recently returned. I have one real friend with which I associate. People change. My friends are now grandparents, have businesses, travel, and usually have different interessts than me. I have met potential friends but never bothered to call back. Too many things on my slate. As people get older, they have generally established their social environment. Sometimes it is difficult to penetrate that bubble. But, as one can see, there are many people complaining about the city being unfriendly. Sometimes it can be the person him/herself. Being shy can be a major problem with many. People don't generally come to you and ask to be your friend. One has to make the initial effort. I lived in England for many years. I always heard that the Brits were cold and unfriendly. They aren't. They respect the privacy of others and don't wish to intrude in one's personal space. That is likely part of the problem here. Absolutely none of my neighbors are from Charlotte, so it isn't the locals that are unfriendly when I have such an experience. Charlotte is no better or worse than any other city its size. Moderator cut: rude How can there be a mindset of the city when it is so diverse? It is true that Charlotte is a giant banking center and it appears that many in that industry display similar traits when it comes to dress and mannerisms, but that is typical anywhere. It is the same in Boston with those in the insurance industry, etc.

To people smart enough not to blame the city, I suggest that you join clubs, groups, and attend venues where you can meet people with common interests. There will always be obsticles like children, grandchildren, etc. but there are plenty of people out there wanting friends. Good luck, be friendly, and venture out.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM

64 posts, read 122,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espin1010 View Post
My husband and I live in Matthews, NC. He has been living her for 5 years, and I for 2 years. We have been married for 5 months, and would reaaly like to meet new married couples. I want to make live long friends, that I could consider family, and raise our children together once we have them.

I hear ya! DH and I have been here in Matthews/Indian Trail for 2 years and have NO friends that we can just hang out with. Why is this so hard to do???

We don't have kids either. I think that doesn't help. It is easier to find friends when you have kids who can play with other people's kids.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
^^^
As I stated earlier, the easiest way to make friends is to be a friend.
From kindergarden to the nursing home, this is always the same - gather around people who enjoy the same things you do.
Join a group (church, golf, cars, guns, computers, art, sewing, book club, cooking, motorcycles, etc - it does not matter what IT is).

My wife is from MA (not a local) and her deepest friends are now here, which she met in CLT since 1995.

Jump in and get involved in something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte