Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
I have some lesbian friends that I've known for years. We get along well. I don't worry about gays , they have a right to be here as does anyone else. Now when they make passes at me , that's a call to arms!!
A couple of years ago, a friend made a comment, "Gee! I could do with one of them". I looked over and saw some college age guys. I said to him, "Those are dudes!" He said, "I know". A bit dazed, I clarified that he knew they were guys and he acknowledged. I then told him (I won't mention his name), "I am not bothered if you are gay, just please remember that I am not". No problem, he never made a pass at me even though I am eye candy. He is still a great friend and respects my straightness. He is definately not a liberal. Not all gays are liberals. Many gays might chose the Charlotte area because they prefer the more middle of the road status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Creative Loafing should do an article about the history of gays in Charlotte. They would find in their research that Charlotte was one of the forerunners as far as known "gay" citie. Jacksonville, Fl. was very popular too. In the early 1960s there were several gay bars in Charlotte. This was a time when the population of Charlotte was much smaller than today. The biggest was called the Blue Note sometimes called the "Blow Note" that was located where the Manor Theater is today. There was also the Anchor Inn on Morehead, the Brass Rail uptown somewhere, a big one on Morehead and Freedom Drive and a popular one one on West Boulevard. These places were well and alive when many larger cities in the U.S. operated underground for safety reasons. So, to say that Charlotte is "not" gay friendly is a misnomer. Charlotte at one time long ago was a major destination for gays. Charlotte may not roll out a red carpet for any special class of people, but we really don't need to do that. Everyone is welcome.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I found it on the US general city vs city page and I couldn't help but post it when I saw this thread.
Skyline Battle: Downtown Atlanta vs Uptown Charlotte Here is where I found it posted by "grindin".
Charlotte has a long way to catch up with Atlanta despite the deceiving perceptions from those two shots. I am amazed at Atlanta's skyline as I drive up from south of Atlanta heading to Charlotte. It is spectacular. It is one of the most impressive in the U.S. In my opinion, Atlanta is only surpassed by NYC, Chicago, and maybe (but very close to) San Francisco, Dallas, and Houston.

Charlotte is pretty impressive and climbing, but it will be a long time before we see a Atlanta skyline.

But as always, thanks for the interesting posting.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Charlotte has a long way to catch up with Atlanta despite the deceiving perceptions from those two shots. I am amazed at Atlanta's skyline as I drive up from south of Atlanta heading to Charlotte. It is spectacular. It is one of the most impressive in the U.S. In my opinion, Atlanta is only surpassed by NYC, Chicago, and maybe (but very close to) San Francisco, Dallas, and Houston.

Charlotte is pretty impressive and climbing, but it will be a long time before we see a Atlanta skyline.

But as always, thanks for the interesting posting.
What about Miami?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:57 PM

54 posts, read 115,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
What about Miami?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
^ post of the year!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
What about Miami?
No, but getting there

Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM

393 posts, read 1,187,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Maybe the QC doesn't want to be a Liberal mecca? Some people LIKE that Charlotte is a socially conservative city, nothing wrong w/ that, IMO.

I don't understand why people move here and then try to change it into something else.
Amen...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 AM

15 posts, read 35,288 times
I am probably going to be very politically incorrect here, but why does an establishment have to be "gay friendly" people are people. I have yet to see a business with a "no homosexuals allowed" sign, nor is anyone checking your sexuality card at the state line, or city boundaries. If you don't want to be singled out for being gay, don't wave the sexual orientation banner and say I want special treatment because I'm gay. I don't want to see heterosexual couples out in public acting sexually inappropriate and I don't want to see it from homosexual couples either.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermi View Post
I am probably going to be very politically incorrect here, but why does an establishment have to be "gay friendly" people are people. I have yet to see a business with a "no homosexuals allowed" sign, nor is anyone checking your sexuality card at the state line, or city boundaries. If you don't want to be singled out for being gay, don't wave the sexual orientation banner and say I want special treatment because I'm gay. I don't want to see heterosexual couples out in public acting sexually inappropriate and I don't want to see it from homosexual couples either.
I had to double check to see if it was me that wrote this article. It wasn't, so I agree with you 100 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte