Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM

57 posts, read 224,364 times

Advertisements

we actually looked at the Avalon in the cul-de-sac at WT that was $425,000. I couldn't believe it. Felt that you could buy in with $100K equity plus whatever downpayment you put down. Even if they kept a deposit of say $25,000, that's still well below the price to build a new one ($520ish or so I'd say).

Both those Avalons were beautiful but the back yard had one of those huge silver powerlines in the back yard. I worried about our family's health being affected by that. I couldn't live anywhere near those. Ultimately, that fact and the fact that Ryan wanted $50K premium for the backlots turned us away.

Did they ever build the pool at WT yet? I think it's a great neighborhood other than those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Evan where did u end up buying?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Believe it or not we're still on the hunt. We had signed a deal in Stone Creek ranch contingent on our house selling. Contingent time came and went and we pulled out. Thinking about Summerwood now or Canterbury Place if we build new. May look at some exisiting. I think we'd like to be in south Charlotte.

Summerwood seems great and Shea builds a fabulous home out there but it seems far from uptown, where I hopefully will be working (if the banks stick around). We really liked Canterbury the first time we looked there. No amenities but it's got a really neat community feel.

I looked at Callonwood but didn't like it. And the Orleans neighborhood near Ballantyne didn't light my fire either. Great homes, but feel was a little off for what we were looking for.

I do think I want one of those Endless Pools though wherever I go. they seem cool.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 PM

92 posts, read 274,284 times
Default W Trace

Hi Peeps, our house on WT is almost ready, I think if you look at most of the neighborhoods, not much is moving this year, it is not a good time to keep trying to assess market value. My view is get the best deal you can right now be it new or resale. I bought new, because I had 6 months to decide and I knew my kids would do bettr if they were'nt the only new kids on the block. If you're seriously interested in WT you should get an official price from Bill Cotton he is very true to his word and the PM has been great too.
Evan, what is an Endless Pool

Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 PM

It is a somewhat small pool with a motor that pushes water towards you so you can swim endlessly.

Endless Pools® - Swimming Pools, Exercise Pools, Therapy Pools & Personal Swimming Pools

Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Oh uk2va2nc, forgot to ask, is Cathy Pierce still at WT?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:01 AM

92 posts, read 274,284 times
I think she's moved to another UC new neighborhood, she was wonderful though while the house was being built she sent me photos online, it was a great experience so far

Old 06-28-2008, 07:21 PM

interesting. cathy was very thorough. we worked with her some. never met bill cotton.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,746 times
Unhappy Turn that frown upside down - Happyman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyman View Post
Wow, a lot of talking has been going on here. Welcome to the Community Raybourne I feal you will love it. I don't understand some of the people that comment on this site because it is just a hand full of what is really here. I wish that there were not so much negativity but telling more about how nice Weddington trace is. Iv lived here about a year and have been very pleased. Yes you have things that come up but every place does. There has never been 1 problem that has come up that my neighbors and I have talked about that has not been taken care of. Ryan has done a great job and Im proud to live in Weddington Trace. This Lutz guy is just trying to make other places look better so he can sale a home faster and move on. He is the one missing out not thinking that this is a great neighborhood. My neighbors were building with Orleans in lake forest and there storys scare me, They came back here to build. They tell me that the problems that they had there were 10 times worse then any problem that they have had with ryan. Yet This lutz guy would push a home buyer to go through that. I dont need a realtor like that. Power lines are only in the front of the community and run through weddington trace and weddington Chase. Once more lutz likes weddington Chase cause the homes are all complete and can make a quick sale. Weddington Trace is nice, Very nice and I looked at tons of communitys before moving in here and glad I did. Sorry to go on and on. All I can say is take a look at the community and the builder in the comunity.
OK, here is the Lutz guy.

Overall I do not think, I was that negative. As a matter of fact, I think you misrepresented me saying, "He is the one missing out not thinking that this is a great neighborhood." Look below, don't be so hostile - happyman!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, WT is gorgeous, and I would move there in a second or two, if I was not seeing High-T's.

Yes, every neighborhood has it's problems, and busted pipes in WC is a problem in the older homes. Actually just put a home "under contract", in their and the buyers questioned that. I assume they got there info from city-data. You (an I) can learn alot from City-data. Listen to what people are telling you. Besides trying to give knowledgeable information, I try and pick things up from CD, it is a great resource.
Just was making sure, Raybourne, was aware that probably 7 out of 10 people see HT's as a BIG negative. I think as a realtor, pointing that out is a good thing. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Your opinion and mine, is what makes CD a good resource, before buying. I do not think it is negative. If anything you were kind of on the aggressive, saying this "Lutz guy", x amount of times!

Just to re-iterate, I have no doubt Ryan builds a fine home, as does Orleans, as does John Wieland. If you wanted to compare the three, JW wins every time, hands down. Also every builder is going to have a problem here and there - you said it yourself, "Yes you have things that come up but every place does." As for a quick sale statement, well lets face it, you honestly believe that your Ryan home is better than a John Wieland home, with awesome amenities, and a 5/20 warranty? PLEASE, time to wake up and smell the coffee!

I wish you and Raybourne the best. Hope to see you frolicking in the pool soon!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 AM

373 posts, read 1,472,113 times
We have a new Ryan home (bought in 2007) in Weddington and we have standing effluent in our back yard from the failing septic system. We found out (after we closed) that our lot failed the county perc test and we have a type v system (classified by the state as experimental and & innovative). In other words, if it can't be fixed there is no other alternative system to put in. Bill may be a great guy but he was one of the sales agents in our neighborhood and we spoke with him many time and this was never disclosed. Anyway, NC Dept of Environmental & Natural Resources is coming out to see if it can even be fixed and so is the EPA as our sewage is running directly into a public stream. Ryan has been aware of these issues for months. Needles to say, they have lost our phone number. We have not been able to let our kids play in the back yard all summer or let the dog out without a leash. Please do your research. We would have agreed with you about Ryan 8 months ago but not now.

Last edited by CarolinaCruzes; 07-06-2008 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte