Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM

70 posts, read 350,232 times

Advertisements

Good Morning everyone. I moved to Charlotte last Feb and then my future wife moved up to join me in May 2006. We bought a house when she arrived in May. We got married in December 06. We have a nice home in the university area, but the thing we are having trouble with is making friends. I am 22 and she is 21. I work for a Bank and she works for an insurance company and is a student at UNCC. The problem we have is we have no one to hang out with, watch sports with, work on cars, take day trips, or anything else.

What did everyone else that moved to Charlotte do to make friends. It gets lonely not having any close friends to do anything with. It seems like everyone at my work thinks they are better than me and everyone at her work is much older than her.

thanks
ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertrule View Post
Good Morning everyone. I moved to Charlotte last Feb and then my future wife moved up to join me in May 2006. We bought a house when she arrived in May. We got married in December 06. We have a nice home in the university area, but the thing we are having trouble with is making friends. I am 22 and she is 21. I work for a Bank and she works for an insurance company and is a student at UNCC. The problem we have is we have no one to hang out with, watch sports with, work on cars, take day trips, or anything else.

What did everyone else that moved to Charlotte do to make friends. It gets lonely not having any close friends to do anything with. It seems like everyone at my work thinks they are better than me and everyone at her work is much older than her.

thanks
ron

I made friends on this forum. I also had a friend already here but I didn't know it until I almost got here and then I found out she was here. That was weird.

Or how about joinging a new-comers club?

Did you buy in an older subdivision?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:03 AM

My subdivision is probably 7 years old, but my house is only 3. My wife and I are only 22 and 21, but everyone else is on subdivision is there 30s with kids. We like it (Hemby Woods) because it is close to uptown- only a 15 minute drive in the morning without going on the interstate.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:26 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,014 times
What about joining some sports leagues? The Y? Church? just some ideas...

Old 05-04-2007, 06:51 AM

85 posts, read 362,257 times
Now, ya see there Gilbert,......if you had bought a home in South Charlotte, or Union, you might have met some of those other people that 'love sitting in their cars' (as you said in another post) while driving to work! Spending only 15 minutes on the road to work gives you no time to socialize at all. No time to call anyone on the cell, have a 'quad-shot mocha' or even see some of the great manicures people love to show off on Providence Road.....and they are proud of the buff job on that one digit!!
Anyway......I concur with 'resident'.....a sports league, the YMCA and the best network of all....your Church. There is another thread that speaks to a 'progressive dinner'.....organize one in your neighborhood. Similar to a gourmet club affair....appetizers at one home, a main course at another home, another main course at another home and then dessert at yet another. It's fun and you'll end up with more friends than you can imagine. Have fun!

Last edited by Eagleheart1; 05-04-2007 at 07:01 AM..

Old 05-04-2007, 06:55 AM

928 posts, read 3,851,465 times
Good Luck.

One key ingredient is Kids, you meet ton's of people when you have kids,
this might be the logistics piece, along with creating driving envy because you don't have a hectic commute.

It sounds like you guys are pretty busy between work and school. Church would be a good start, I met most of my 'friends' even NY ones at daycare once I had my child. You no longer remain anon when you have a kid.

Good Luck Making Friends. Food always wins people over.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:56 AM

201 posts, read 804,014 times
My husband and I have made a point to meet our neighbors, and have been able to make some friends in the short few months that we've been here. But, it sounds like our neighborhood is a bit more social than yours. Not many kids around ours.

However, the Y is a great place to meet people. We've had experience with it and know of others who have as well. I would definitely give that a try.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
OP:

First of all, you are both young...20 and 21 years old. There are a ton of Young Professionals groups that have awesome social events and a lot of newbies meet people there. Please don't be led to think that you must breed or find religion to make friends.

Check out:
http://www.youngaffiliates.org/membership.asp (broken link)
http://www.operacarolina.org/involved_bravo.php (broken link)
http://www.operayoungprofessionals.org/ (broken link)
http://www.blumenthalcenter.org/offe...p?id=clubblume
http://www.opening-night.org/
This one is new, I have not been to their events unlike the above: http://www.ypscharlotte.com/ (broken link)

Plus, I'd look at Charlotte Outdoor Adventures. There are events pretty much every night of the week. No better place to meet people.
http://www.choa.com/
Check out their events list; impressive. http://www.choa.com/events/eventlistpublic.aspx

Old 05-04-2007, 10:09 AM

191 posts, read 236,003 times
join a church

Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 AM

We actually go to church out in locust, nc with my grandmother every sunday, but we only go out to church on sunday because it is a 45 minute drive. we go to church eat lunch with grandma, and then come home. We like the church but cant hang out with anyone because it is over 45 minutes away

I really am not busy at all. I go to work at 7 and get off at 3:30 everyday. And the one who says call people, who can I call at 6:45am in the morning?

The idea about the opera is a nice thought, but theaters and plays bore me to tears. I need a sports car club or something of interst. Also, the kind of people that socialize at those type of events arent my type of people. I am more down to earth, rather drink a beer than sip some wine. The CHOA does look very interesting that you for that info.

My neigborhood is actually hard to me people because most of my neighbors work at night and are double my age. I would go to the Y, but cant reason with spending 45 dollars a month for a gym. I miss FSUs amazing gym.

We dont plan to have kids for 6 or 7 years. I dont mind them I just have other stuff right now we would prefer to do and kids get in the way and are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte