Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Just to be clear, my post was in no way targeting CMPD, for these men and women are among the best. I in fact fly a blue ribbon on my car and a few at my house in honor of Sean Clark and Jeff Shelton who were slain by, as you said, scum. My target was addressing the social worker who has a police costume and acts as chief of Charlotte.. This man is in bed with Charlotte City Council and their Hug-a-Thug program. About the scumbag who murdered those cops...the question was thrown out there "how and where did we lose him?" HOW DID "WE"??? WE didn't lose him. His mother lost him. His father lost him. We didn't.

Now back to Darrell Stephens...did you know that he has directed our officers to NOT question ILLEGALS about their immigration status?? Charlotte has one of the biggest illegal alien problems in the country. We have become a "refuge" city, if you will. Our cops must turn their heads when it comes to illegal invader issues.

Stephens has also attempted to ban the open carry of firearms in Charlotte. This is a violation of the 2nd amendment. He in fact has even lied in this issue. Do YOUR research.

This moron has also stated that making more arrests WON'T decrease crime, huh?? come again??

Now, as you mentioned about the courts, I will certainly agree with you there. But it's not just the courts who are letting these fools go to commit more crimes, although there are plenty of corrupt judges in this district. The problem begins with funding, which starts in the pockets of the Charlotte City Council. Regarding your comment about my understanding, sir, it is not I who needs understanding in funding issues. There is no law that says all monies must come from state legislature. City council would rather buy shiny new things like baseball stadiums, nascar halls of fame, basketball arenas, CHOO CHOO trains, and ugly art rather than build more jails, raise police salaries, and hire more judges and street cops. This town is so a** backwards on spending it's ridiculous!

So, my friend, while you are correct in that the absolute root cause of crime are the scumbags who commit it, no one benefits at all from a city who practically endorses that crime.

Chief Stephens is an officer of law and is to work within the existing framework of the law. He didn't create the law, he's following state law that clearly states that matters related to immigration status are the jurisdiction of
the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Department of Homeland Security). So he didn't pull it out of his sleeve because he's a friend of illegals. The absolute last thing any city needs is to have an illegal alien sue the city for violation of Federal Law. As absurd as it sounds- that's what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 06:26 AM

146 posts, read 638,414 times
lovesMountains writes...Look at what just happened last Friday...a kid ALREADY awaiting trial for charges of breaking and entering, was arrested for murdering a man last week. This was all after he had already had charges of terrorizing people and firing a gun into occupied property dismissed, AFTER having already served time for violent crimes involving guns!!
If your comments are correct, and I believe they are, this is turnstile justice at its worst. As a future resident of Union county, 11 days, I have been reading the Observer and going to the site crimeincharlotte.com on a regular basis. There seems to be MANY instances where criminals are back out on the street right after their arrest. This includes repeat offenders, like this case, and other violent crimes. This is where Chief Stephens needs to do his job. He must meet with the DA and criminal court judges to get these guys higher or no bail. This protects the citizens and the police officers who need to deal with these losers repeatedly. I'm sure the chief will be told that there is limited jail space. Armed with that he needs to get on the politians butts to secure money for additional space. You just had two police officers who were husbands, fathers, sons and brothers, executed by a predator. If the police can fall like that what about its citizens? It all starts at the top, Chief Stephens.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Chief Stephens is an officer of law and is to work within the existing framework of the law. He didn't create the law, he's following state law that clearly states that matters related to immigration status are the jurisdiction of
the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Department of Homeland Security). So he didn't pull it out of his sleeve because he's a friend of illegals. The absolute last thing any city needs is to have an illegal alien sue the city for violation of Federal Law. As absurd as it sounds- that's what it is.
Thank you Miker You have written almost exactly the same thing I was about to write. Chief Stephens is a seasoned law enforcement veteran - he knows what he can, and can't, do to get his job done. He is well-regarded by most people who know him and work with him.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
Crime is interesting in charlotte...lots of ppl in and out of jail. Lots of speed related deaths on the road as well...it won't stop until ppl go to jail and STAY there and stop being "nice" and giving ppl second and third and fiftieth chances. The police chief comes from another state vs through teh ranks..wonder why Charlotte does that?

Last edited by resident; 07-03-2007 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad View Post
lovesMountains writes...Look at what just happened last Friday...a kid ALREADY awaiting trial for charges of breaking and entering, was arrested for murdering a man last week. This was all after he had already had charges of terrorizing people and firing a gun into occupied property dismissed, AFTER having already served time for violent crimes involving guns!!
If your comments are correct, and I believe they are, this is turnstile justice at its worst. As a future resident of Union county, 11 days, I have been reading the Observer and going to the site crimeincharlotte.com on a regular basis. There seems to be MANY instances where criminals are back out on the street right after their arrest. This includes repeat offenders, like this case, and other violent crimes. This is where Chief Stephens needs to do his job. He must meet with the DA and criminal court judges to get these guys higher or no bail. This protects the citizens and the police officers who need to deal with these losers repeatedly. I'm sure the chief will be told that there is limited jail space. Armed with that he needs to get on the politians butts to secure money for additional space. You just had two police officers who were husbands, fathers, sons and brothers, executed by a predator. If the police can fall like that what about its citizens? It all starts at the top, Chief Stephens.

Actually, starting at the top would mean the governor and state legislature. And believe me, the Chief and mayor have been to them numerous times to try to get them to understand this "turnstyle justice" going on in Charlotte. I am confident it bothers them just as much, if not more, than the rest of us citizens.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 PM

16 posts, read 52,249 times
My husband and I are moving to Charlotte. We have heard to saying "Go North and South, Not East and West". But we are not sure what is east! My husband will be working in the Univ. area (IBM Drive). I like the Huntersville area but my husband is concerned about the traffic. He likes the Mint Hill area and Farmwood North (off Rocky River and Hood). Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by km5er View Post
My husband and I are moving to Charlotte. We have heard to saying "Go North and South, Not East and West". But we are not sure what is east! My husband will be working in the Univ. area (IBM Drive). I like the Huntersville area but my husband is concerned about the traffic. He likes the Mint Hill area and Farmwood North (off Rocky River and Hood). Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
My wife and I are in a similar situation. We will be relocating to Charlotte in a couple weeks and will be in temporary corporate housing at The Lodge at Mallard Creek for up to 90 days. I will be working in Huntersville and we are thinking of buying either there or in North Charlotte near our temporary housing. Does anyone have thoughts on the Harris Boulevard/Mallard Creek Road area? What about the Davis Lake neighborhood?

Last edited by Minneapolis to Charlotte; 08-11-2007 at 03:00 AM..

Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolis to Charlotte View Post
My wife and I are in a similar situation. We will be relocating to Charlotte in a couple weeks and will be in temporary corporate housing at The Lodge at Mallard Creek for up to 90 days. I will be working in Huntersville and we are thinking of buying either there or in North Charlotte near our temporary housing. Does anyone have thoughts on the Harris Boulevard/Mallard Creek Road area? What about the Davis Lake neighborhood?
As a general rule I do not like that side of Harris Blvd. A temporary stay is probably just fine, but I would not advise buying a home in that area at all. Instead, travel further up Mallard Creek and you will be safer and find neighborhoods with better resale value. Or, look in Davis Lake for sure, you get a lot of house for the money

Old 08-11-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5er View Post
Here's the thing, IBM is much closer to Huntersville but with traffic he would probably spend just as much time on the road no matter which town you choose. That's because even though Mint Hill is further away, the traffic is lighter and moves much better on I485. Going toward Huntersville I77 so often comes to a complete standstill, I'd personally hate to have to use it every day. Although... there are other routes depending on where in Huntersville you would live that he could avoid the interstate, then it might be worth it. Either way, both towns are nice

Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 AM

12 posts, read 38,104 times
Agree that Ballantyne, South Park, etc. are highly desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte