Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:35 AM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
I'd really be interested to hear what you disliked about Charlotte and why. I don't think it would be fair for anyone to give you a negative rep for posting your opinion. Isn't that the idea of the forum in the first place - to hear different information and perspectives?
My husband and I moved to Charlotte after we were first married. He was promised a police job, was told a spot was waiting for him in the academy. We got down there, got settled and they called us 2 weeks before the academy(he had been bumped), they had to make their quotas. So here we are no job, nothing. My husband had 5 year military police experience but was bumped because of his race. He got a job working corporate security and I worked for Char Meck schools. I was a substitute teacher with an associates degree. As soon as I had my fingerprinting done, I got a phone call from a Title I school and was asked to long term substitute there. That tells you how good the school system is. I could go on and on about that. Dr. Smith was the super at the time...enough said. LOL. We ended up renting a home off of WT Harris Blvd, wasn't the best area, but wasn't the worse area either. I had a rottweiler and no one would rent to us. We had several Mexicans in our apartment complex, the reason this bothered me was because there were 9 of them in the apartment above me in a 2 bedroom apartment. They slept in shifts so someone was always coming and going. They put their trash out on the balconies it stunk. After complaining enough times, the apartment manager put them in the downstairs apartment next to mine, well then I got roaches. They finally got evicted, when they were cleaning out the apartment you should have seen the infestation of roaches, it was gross! So that experience didn't help much I do not care for the drivers there. They are either going like a bat out of hell or they are going soooo slooowwww in the left lane. I hated eating out because the service was always cruddy. The food just didn't taste the same. I couldn't find a decent pizza place(except for Fuel) or deli(except for 7th St). I also experienced so much racism and discrimination, which being from a small town in northern NY I had never had to deal with. It seems like the north VS south, the blacks vs whites, the rednecks vs city dwellers, the rich vs the poor...so divided there. I also hated the drive home to see family, it just seemd soo far away. There also seemed like there was not a lot to do in Charlotte. When we first moved there we were very excited, got our season passes to Carowinds, went to a few Panther games, explored downtown, Lake Norman area, etc...but this got old after a few months and it left us wanting to see more. But the ocean was a good 4 hour drive, we had seen enough of the mountains on our drive up 81 LOL.

However, I after sifting through these people, I did meet a lot of nice folks too. Mainly on the outskirts of Charlotte(Concord, Asheboro, Spartansburg, Gastonia) more native folks. I absolutely LOVED the weather! The electric bills were so cheap especially compared to where I live now and that goes along with housing prices. And I loved my job! That is the one thing I took away from the experience, I now am going to finish my degree in elementary ed and work in a Title I school. Most teachers want to work with the soccer moms, not me! Even with the city not offering much for me, it still seemed alive and full of life. Just that I didn't fit in there.

So I guess it was a mixture of my husbands getting screwed out of a job, hating his work, hating where we lived, wanting more to do so we didnt have to be at our house. And the city just not being what we thought it would be...now here we are 5 years old and wiser and living in MD. Prices are going through the rough thanks to the influx from DC. Now we need to find somewhere else to relocate because I want to buy a single family home and throw some roots down. So believe itor not we are looking back at the Carolinas, however this time RAleigh. I have friends there that love it and say it is different from Charlotte. I have only been to visit once so far, however I am planning another visit in June. I have been reasearching this move for 8 months now...trust me i do not plan on going in blindsided! And you know I might have liked Charlotte more if I lived on the outskirts and the jobs would have fell in place. OH well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 11:27 AM

38 posts, read 210,980 times
Default They are right form your own opinon

We have been looking to relocate to nc. We have been there many times. I have been to wilmington area, charlotte, raleigh, ashboro, greensboro, burlington. My husband thinks charlotte is to busy and to big of place, traffic everywhere . He hates the traffic on the loop around raleigh. He says can you see me in that traffic on the loop around raleigh on my motorcycle?
Form your own opion and check it out. You don't know till you live somehwere.
I liked charlotte myself. I especially liked concord, huntersville area. I like raleigh except for the loop. I liked burlington a lot. Greensboros o.k.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
My husband and I moved to Charlotte after we were first married. He was promised a police job, was told a spot was waiting for him in the academy. We got down there, got settled and they called us 2 weeks before the academy(he had been bumped), they had to make their quotas. So here we are no job, nothing. My husband had 5 year military police experience but was bumped because of his race. He got a job working corporate security and I worked for Char Meck schools. I was a substitute teacher with an associates degree. As soon as I had my fingerprinting done, I got a phone call from a Title I school and was asked to long term substitute there. That tells you how good the school system is. I could go on and on about that. Dr. Smith was the super at the time...enough said. LOL. We ended up renting a home off of WT Harris Blvd, wasn't the best area, but wasn't the worse area either. I had a rottweiler and no one would rent to us. We had several Mexicans in our apartment complex, the reason this bothered me was because there were 9 of them in the apartment above me in a 2 bedroom apartment. They slept in shifts so someone was always coming and going. They put their trash out on the balconies it stunk. After complaining enough times, the apartment manager put them in the downstairs apartment next to mine, well then I got roaches. They finally got evicted, when they were cleaning out the apartment you should have seen the infestation of roaches, it was gross! So that experience didn't help much I do not care for the drivers there. They are either going like a bat out of hell or they are going soooo slooowwww in the left lane. I hated eating out because the service was always cruddy. The food just didn't taste the same. I couldn't find a decent pizza place(except for Fuel) or deli(except for 7th St). I also experienced so much racism and discrimination, which being from a small town in northern NY I had never had to deal with. It seems like the north VS south, the blacks vs whites, the rednecks vs city dwellers, the rich vs the poor...so divided there. I also hated the drive home to see family, it just seemd soo far away. There also seemed like there was not a lot to do in Charlotte. When we first moved there we were very excited, got our season passes to Carowinds, went to a few Panther games, explored downtown, Lake Norman area, etc...but this got old after a few months and it left us wanting to see more. But the ocean was a good 4 hour drive, we had seen enough of the mountains on our drive up 81 LOL.

However, I after sifting through these people, I did meet a lot of nice folks too. Mainly on the outskirts of Charlotte(Concord, Asheboro, Spartansburg, Gastonia) more native folks. I absolutely LOVED the weather! The electric bills were so cheap especially compared to where I live now and that goes along with housing prices. And I loved my job! That is the one thing I took away from the experience, I now am going to finish my degree in elementary ed and work in a Title I school. Most teachers want to work with the soccer moms, not me! Even with the city not offering much for me, it still seemed alive and full of life. Just that I didn't fit in there.

So I guess it was a mixture of my husbands getting screwed out of a job, hating his work, hating where we lived, wanting more to do so we didnt have to be at our house. And the city just not being what we thought it would be...now here we are 5 years old and wiser and living in MD. Prices are going through the rough thanks to the influx from DC. Now we need to find somewhere else to relocate because I want to buy a single family home and throw some roots down. So believe itor not we are looking back at the Carolinas, however this time RAleigh. I have friends there that love it and say it is different from Charlotte. I have only been to visit once so far, however I am planning another visit in June. I have been reasearching this move for 8 months now...trust me i do not plan on going in blindsided! And you know I might have liked Charlotte more if I lived on the outskirts and the jobs would have fell in place. OH well...

When you relocate back to the Carolinas make sure you don't pick a bad apt complex in an iffy area.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
I'm moving to Charlotte in the next few months, and it's been great to read all these replies.

I live in Scotland and let me tell you I am *sooo* looking forward to those mild winters.

I have one very, very important question...

What's the spider situation?

Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
What do you mean "bumped", CMPD has a process for hiring and then if you get through all that successfully then city council has to approve your package. I never heard of them having a "spot" waiting, you get a letter if you get in....?? And race? I don't get it...I have seen a mix of races on their force. Being 5 yrs in the military I hate to say it doesn't guarantee anything, it depends on a lot of factors.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garumphul View Post
I'm moving to Charlotte in the next few months, and it's been great to read all these replies.

I live in Scotland and let me tell you I am *sooo* looking forward to those mild winters.

I have one very, very important question...

What's the spider situation?

I hope their isn't a spider situation. I'm getting an exterminator. I had an exterminator in Phx and I didn't see a darn thing.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:17 AM

95 posts, read 101,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
It seems like the north VS south, the blacks vs whites, the rednecks vs city dwellers, the rich vs the poor...so divided there.
With your and your husband's employment situation it sounds like you were on the wrong side of that divide. I can see why you didn't like Charlotte but divides exist everywhere.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:26 AM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I hope their isn't a spider situation. I'm getting an exterminator. I had an exterminator in Phx and I didn't see a darn thing.
Not sure about the spider situation. The bigger issue are the ant hills that will pop up overnight. All you have to do is go to Home Depot or Lowe's & buy the ant killer.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
Not sure about the spider situation. The bigger issue are the ant hills that will pop up overnight. All you have to do is go to Home Depot or Lowe's & buy the ant killer.

Oh I didn't think of that. I hate ants!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 AM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Oh I didn't think of that. I hate ants!
Just wait. You should see how big some of these hills get! And the fact that they can pop up overnight- sometimes within hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte