Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:13 AM

6 posts, read 34,639 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, however, I can't resist. I live in Charleston, SC - about 4.5 hours away from downtown Charlotte, depending on how ya drive. When my two girls were growing up, we made the trip to Charlotte at least two times a year to go to "Discovery Place."

Discovery Place is the coolest "hands on" kids museum ever. It's MORE than just a museum. They have a tropical rain forest, aquarium, a petting zoo for live crabs, and other sea creatures, an IMAX Theater, several floors of science experiments....and science shows. It's just a great place. I think we loved it as much as they did.

Everything in the whole facility is meant to be touched and played with. It's worth the drive if you are ever traveling through or only live a few hours away. That's one of the things I love about Charlotte, NC.

Discovery Place
301 N Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202

"Spend a day at Discovery Place and we’ll introduce you to a world of wonder, where science amazes, educates and entertains. There’s something for everyone in the family to enjoy, from little ones just starting to explore to adults who have seen the world. No matter your age, we’re dedicated to connecting you with science and connecting science to the world." -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 AM

33 posts, read 63,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinedesign View Post
I know this is an old thread, however, I can't resist. I live in Charleston, SC - about 4.5 hours away from downtown Charlotte, depending on how ya drive. When my two girls were growing up, we made the trip to Charlotte at least two times a year to go to "Discovery Place."

Discovery Place is the coolest "hands on" kids museum ever. It's MORE than just a museum. They have a tropical rain forest, aquarium, a petting zoo for live crabs, and other sea creatures, an IMAX Theater, several floors of science experiments....and science shows. It's just a great place. I think we loved it as much as they did.

Everything in the whole facility is meant to be touched and played with. It's worth the drive if you are ever traveling through or only live a few hours away. That's one of the things I love about Charlotte, NC.

Discovery Place
301 N Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202

"Spend a day at Discovery Place and we’ll introduce you to a world of wonder, where science amazes, educates and entertains. There’s something for everyone in the family to enjoy, from little ones just starting to explore to adults who have seen the world. No matter your age, we’re dedicated to connecting you with science and connecting science to the world." -
I'm glad you couldn't resist. I can't wait to take the kids there. It sounds strangely familiar to COSI in Columbus, Ohio, where I used to go as a kid on field trips with a group from school. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinedesign View Post
I know this is an old thread
got that right. lol

Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Yes, it is old, LOL! Ancient! But glad to know that folks enjoy coming to Charlotte to Discovery Place.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
If you do go, be aware they are in the process of a major renovation and large parts of it are closed now, just an FYI...

Info: Discovery Place » Blog Category: Renovation

Old 09-01-2009, 10:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Yep - even as members of Discovery Place, we've only gone a couple of times since they started renovations. And we went mainly to play with the thousands of Kapla blocks they had! They have hardly any truly interactive displays right now. I know it'll change, and they're working on it, but I'd give it until they're done!

I am very grateful that when I renewed our membership last year, they renewed it for two years because they thought they were going to close for a few months. We usually love going there!

I didn't read through most of this thread - but I do, absolutely do, love Charlotte. I'm a native, although I grew up outside the city limits, in the Mallard Creek area. There have been times I really felt like: I gotta get outta here! but I'm glad to have stayed. Charlotte is still growing and changing, and the amount of diversity and energy and creativity that's coming in steadily is changing it for the better. I used to say that Charlotte had no soul, but it does - sometimes you have to look for it, but it's there!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
In answer to the OP, I love Charlotte!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswife View Post
I love all the shopping in Charlotte. I'm a girl who likes to shop and I can assure you that there's better shopping here than in L.A.
I know that shopping is very good here. My friends from London come here and do quite a bit of buying when in town. But, I find it pretty hard to believe that it is better than L.A. which is one of the world fashion centers. Nevertheless, the things that brought me back here are:

- International airport
- Cost of housing
- lower taxes and insurance rates
- always some place to go on weekends, ie. mountains, beaches, etc.
- safe in most areas
- restaurants
- entertainment
- down to earth people mostly
- promptness (people show up as scheduled)
- trees
- nice parks for walking
- booming town although a slowdown is in process due to recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte