Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times

Advertisements

One of the best things you can do if interested in buying in a new development is buy one of the final homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,276 times
I bought there because I am from out of town and had no idea what kind of people resided in Berewick. I still have not closed on my house, but I am a bit concerned that the development might be pretty bad.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
I bought there because I am from out of town and had no idea what kind of people resided in Berewick. I still have not closed on my house, but I am a bit concerned that the development might be pretty bad.
OK, you're from out of town. So were we when we purchased. But, you saw multiple reasons NOT to buy during a brief drive-thru but you decided to purchase anyway. You were fortunate enough to have it all displayed before you. I think concern about your neighbors, or who your neighbors might be, came a bit late. And that's what I don't understand. It makes about as much sense to me as beginning a thread asking how to deal with trespassers within one's community.

And again, what exactly is the point of the HOA in Berewick? Doesn't sound like much enforcement is going on.

SL

Old 06-01-2007, 09:45 AM

73 posts, read 247,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
I wouldn't be overly concerned. Berewick is a good neighborhood. There are things that have bothered me (mostly people from outside using out amenities), but it looks like the HOA has called the cops several times in the last couple of weeks and that problem has pretty much gone away. You can check the mecklenburg county crime logs and see it is a low crime area. Also, I would suggest stopping by the swimming pool during your next visit to see a "typical" afternoon at Berewick and the "typical" residents. There are some bad apples, unfortunately sometimes we focus on that. I was not trying to make Berewick sound like the "ghetto", I just really hope that it turns into a very nice neighborhood to live, and it certainly has that potential with the lake nearby and the shops going in soon. Plus, traffic is 100% better over on this side of I-77. Biggest thing is report everything to the HOA, the more that people report, the more they seem to be doing.....like I said things have really started to clean up in the last two weeks.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 AM

73 posts, read 247,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
One of the best things you can do if interested in buying in a new development is buy one of the final homes.
you also pay the most for it if you do that.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berewick Resident View Post
you also pay the most for it if you do that.
Do you really?

I think you pay more if you ultimately end up in a community with regret.

SL

Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Do you really?

I think you pay more if you ultimately end up in a community with regret.

SL

Exactly. Or where neighbors are lowering your property value which will cost you more.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 PM

49 posts, read 175,856 times
I'm currently building in Berewick and have made several trips a week (prior to signing and since to check the house progress) and I have been impressed. Many friendly neighbors walking around, often with strollers, and they all wave - a novelty us northern relo's are gladly picking up on . I have also met some of my future neighbors when out there and it seems like some good people. Diversity is a good thing and, if you're worried about SES (Socio-Economic Status) there are plenty of BMW's, Mercedes, and Lexus' parked in the driveways. There seems to be a dominantly prosperous vibe in Berewick and surrounding areas and it shoudl only get better and better. The beauty in the fact that the Steele Creek area used to be questionable means that we all stand to make a lot on our properties going forward. Look at the Southend area where it used to be "ghetto" several years ago. People who bought townhomes and condos for $200k are now selling them for close to a million.

The fact is, the neighborhood is still young and, with Charlotte trying to boost its image (and income averages throughout the south) we shouldn't have much to worry about. Especially with Papas building the area along with the neighboring communities. I'm fairly certain Papas does a whole lot of detailed research as well as projections on how an area will turn out and they have confidence - take some comfort in that.

But like others have been saying, rather than just sitting on here talking about the negatives, use your power as a resident to do something about it by going to the meetings, reporting negatives to the HOA, and, if you have the time and dedication, try to get on the board. It's a small investment in relation to the fact that we all could be here for 10+ years raising or starting our families. After all, our children are our future and so on and blah blah blah...

Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 PM

87 posts, read 329,123 times
Want to talk about property values?

Some of you sit on this site and complain about how bad your subdivision is which is potentialy pushing away more great residents... That to me is lowering your home value. If you talk down on your neighborhood, why would other potential buyers run to invest in the area you live in?

THINK ABOUT THAT!

Personally, I love the area and I think that anyone thinking about moving to Steele Creek area should judge for themselves... We seem to have a lot of exagerated posters here.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:52 PM

The CMPD crime reports don't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte