Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 12,577 times

Advertisements

And I am a White woman in my 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 05:01 PM

73 posts, read 247,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berewickresident2 View Post
I am from the New York area and possibly being from that area is why I am soooo disturbed by the attitudes on this blog. Everything that has been stated is a sterotype! Has anyone ever started to have a conversation with one of these kids? Probably not. Because someone wears baggy jeans and is "colorful" does not mean they are drug dealers or gang bangers. Why don't you get to know these kids before you go judging them.
I thought we lived in an era when racism was far and few between. Obviously from this blog it is not. Living in this neighborhood, I know for a fact it is diverse, which makes it so unique and wonderful. There are people from all different nationalities making up the Berewick Community.
If the people who have spoken on this blog would like to live in the "white" area, get better jobs and move to Southpark. Stop acting like you are better than anyone else in the community.
Be the change you wish to see in the world!
Interesting that you associate high value housing (South Park) with an area that doesn't have a lot of people walking around with baggy clothes.

No one said they didn't appreciate the diversity. I personally couldn't care less which nationality or race the people in the neighborhood are. The blog was talking about the offensive language and people from outside the neighborhood using the basketball courts.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM

182 posts, read 825,515 times
It's great to see everyone has an opinion- you are intitled to yours just like I'm intitled to mine, that's what these threads are intended for.
If you are offended by the content, then start your own.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,967,334 times
Quote:
I am from the New York area and possibly being from that area is why I am soooo disturbed by the attitudes on this blog. Everything that has been stated is a sterotype! Has anyone ever started to have a conversation with one of these kids? Probably not. Because someone wears baggy jeans and is "colorful" does not mean they are drug dealers or gang bangers. Why don't you get to know these kids before you go judging them.
I thought we lived in an era when racism was far and few between. Obviously from this blog it is not. Living in this neighborhood, I know for a fact it is diverse, which makes it so unique and wonderful. There are people from all different nationalities making up the Berewick Community.
If the people who have spoken on this blog would like to live in the "white" area, get better jobs and move to Southpark. Stop acting like you are better than anyone else in the community.

Again I will say my son is half Cuban and half white but looks all hispanic and he wears those gang banger clothers(again I can't do anything about it he lives with friends and is 19) but he may be mistaken for a Mexican gang banger and that's his own stupidity. This is not a racial issue!!

Why do this kids copy gang attire? Aren't they tired of being mistaken for violent criminals? Why dress like this?

Yes it brings property values down, no one wants to take a guess as to whether these are nice kids or not. I have many African American families that live in my new subdivison in Huntersville. Don't believe me drive through Centennial you won't see any kids with their pants down over there, why is this? I doubt their parents would allow it.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 PM

249 posts, read 875,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejanelle1 View Post
Amen! Well said. I just had that conversation on a similiar thread a few days ago with Berewick people...
Stereotyping... and you just said "Berewick people"?

This thread was about people that were not from the community using the facilities we as residents pay for. Who cares about the color of their skin, you could hear them swearing from the playground where little kids play (mine included). Turns out they werent from the neighborhood since the police got involved.

I too like this neighborhood and its diversity so let's not make this something its not. NOBODY said they were looking for an "all white" community or anything like that. Its insulting when someone says get a better job and move to southpark... so we all picked berewick because we just don't have good jobs huh? I picked this community because I like this area. I don't think you will find many racist people moving to an area this diverse.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
And I am a White woman in my 20's.

Why do you associate blacks with baggy pants? My son is not black and neither are his friends and they dress like that. Maybe you are labeling them as black only.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 PM

73 posts, read 247,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Again I will say my son is half Cuban and half white but looks all hispanic and he wears those gang banger clothers(again I can't do anything about it he lives with friends and is 19) but he may be mistaken for a Mexican gang banger and that's his own stupidity. This is not a racial issue!!

Why do this kids copy gang attire? Aren't they tired of being mistaken for violent criminals? Why dress like this?

Yes it brings property values down, no one wants to take a guess as to whether these are nice kids or not. I have many African American families that live in my new subdivison in Huntersville. Don't believe me drive through Centennial you won't see any kids with their pants down over there, why is this? I doubt their parents would allow it.
I guess that is what I don't understand. Are they dressing like their "heros"? Are their heros gangs on the streets of NY and LA, the bloods and the crypts and the rappers on TV who brag about their drug deals and their mistreatment of women?

I wish young people would choose healthier heros like Martin Luther King Jr. or Jackie Robinson or Colin Powell or Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan.......even Obama.....even if I am not a big fan of Obama's policies he would be a respectable hero for a young black man.....any young person for that matter.

Last edited by Berewick Resident; 05-31-2007 at 05:50 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berewick Resident View Post
I guess that is what I don't understand. Are they dressing like their "heros"? Are their heros gangs on the streets of NY and LA, the bloods and the crypts and the rappers on TV who brag about their drug deals and their mistreatment of women?

I wish young people would choose healthier heros like Martin Luther King Jr. or Jackie Robinson or Colin Powell or Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan.......even Obama.....even if I am not a big fan of Obama's policies he would be a respectable hero for a young black man.
Agree on all counts!! The idea that is the fashion is bunk and it's down right dangerous!

Try parking an old beat up truck on your lawn and these same people will be complaining to you about property values.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 PM

295 posts, read 1,062,737 times
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. What is wrong with people playing basketball and expressing their sense of style. These complaints are comming from past bellbottom, hippys. Did the value of homes go down when you were a kid expressing you sense of style?

Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,092,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berewick Resident View Post

I wish young people would choose healthier heros like Martin Luther King Jr. or Jackie Robinson or Colin Powell or Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan.......even Obama.....even if I am not a big fan of Obama's policies he would be a respectable hero for a young black man.....any young person for that matter.
Please don't pretend to know whom would be a "respectable hero" for my children, and I won't make assumptions about whom yours should emulate.

Gangbangers aside, ever hear of "popular culture"?

How do you keep non-residents from using amenities? Take it up with the HOA, band together with like minded neighbors and involve the police if necessary. Isn't that what you've paid for? You needed to begin a thread to sort this out? Sounds pretty darned simple to me.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte