Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:57 PM

73 posts, read 247,213 times

Advertisements

I'm a little worried about housing prices in southwest Charlotte. Whereas I first thought that Berewick would turn into a nice master planned community, I'm certainly seeing a lot of riff raff by the basketball courts and walking around the community. I wish these people realized that they are lowering the value of their homes by walking around with their pants down around their ankles. We like Berewick, but are very concerned about the way that the community will swing in the next couple of years....any thoughts? and how can we help keep people who don't live in the community from lowering our property value (because I have a theory that many locals (not Berewick residents) are coming to Berewick to use our facilities)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 PM

255 posts, read 885,536 times
Require a lock for everything and only allow private access (homeowners) to the ammentities?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 AM

182 posts, read 825,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
Require a lock for everything and only allow private access (homeowners) to the ammentities?
This should probably be brought up at the next neighbor hood watch meeting or at the HOA meeting.
We all pay for these ammenitites and outsiders should not be allowed unless with a resident, and then it should be limited.
We did notice the basketball courts last week had some colorful folks hanging around; we are trying to get away from that and we were questioning it ourselves. (gang banger-ish attire and FOUL language)
But, we made the mistake once about buying near a community park and we will never do that again. It attracts all kinds......

Old 05-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Bring it up

I agree it needs to be brought up! We should ensure that no outsiders can use the ammenities that we pay for. I get tired of seeing butt cracks and fake gold teeth of outsiders at our fitness centers. This isn't Harlem, it is supposed to be a nice neighborhood on the lake in North Carolina!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:40 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,434 times
Your community should have a crime watch group. Most of the Steel Creek developments are working with the police to bring the needed attention to the area. Berewick is not the only area seeing problems. I moved away from gangbangers along time ago and hate to see this problem coming to Charlotte so quickly and in high numbers.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 AM

140 posts, read 590,347 times
Unfortunatly, if the problem is getting bigger it is because these kids are moving here with their parets. As usual...it is likely a lack of good parenting. My kids are 20 and 19 and I still set rules and make sure Iknow where they are who they are going to be with and when they will be home....

Old 05-28-2007, 09:34 AM

249 posts, read 875,101 times
Actually, about a week or so ago the police came and broke up the group playing on the bball court. It was obvious that most of them werent residents (I wont say anymore), when I drove by there were two cops and they had everyone lined up. That area has shown improvement since and hopefully stays that way.

In the end its up to us, the residents, to stay on top of this and report it to the hoa or police. The hoa also put out a notice with their contact info to report common area abuse and also said to call the police directly if its after hours.

As for the other riff raff, there is one group in particular that hangs out at the entrance to evanton village... its frustrating that the parents let them dress like thugs and pretty much hang out on the corner all day long.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:00 PM

I agree with you completely. I notice the people on Evanton Village and walking down Gales. I just saw a thug with his pants pulled half way down and gold chains walking down Gales when I was taking a walk with my wife today. Very Frustrating. It honestly makes me want to move. There must be a way to stop the loitering at least. For every kid walking down the street looking like that our housing value goes down. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Charlotte, people don't want to look out the window and see people that appear to be ready for a drug transaction.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,568 times
I am from the New York area and possibly being from that area is why I am soooo disturbed by the attitudes on this blog. Everything that has been stated is a sterotype! Has anyone ever started to have a conversation with one of these kids? Probably not. Because someone wears baggy jeans and is "colorful" does not mean they are drug dealers or gang bangers. Why don't you get to know these kids before you go judging them.
I thought we lived in an era when racism was far and few between. Obviously from this blog it is not. Living in this neighborhood, I know for a fact it is diverse, which makes it so unique and wonderful. There are people from all different nationalities making up the Berewick Community.
If the people who have spoken on this blog would like to live in the "white" area, get better jobs and move to Southpark. Stop acting like you are better than anyone else in the community.
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 PM

87 posts, read 329,209 times
Amen! Well said. I just had that conversation on a similiar thread a few days ago with Berewick people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte