Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Been going for 40 years! Great bar b que chicken, love it, love it! So juicy and a little spicy and cooked just right. If you love trout then you have to try theirs. I was surprised when I got my first trout dinner because the pieces were so thick and white. Very, very good. The Po Boy is a meal in itself and the mustard sauce really makes this burger different than other burgers. My husband loves their minced bar b que best. We don't live in Charlotte anymore and it takes about a hour to get there but we still go, matter of fact we just went about 3 days ago because we were in Belmont, which isn't too far away. We took home a pound of minced bar b que for dinner the next night. I would suggest an extra container of the sauce because one just isn't enough. It's spicy but that's because it's vinegar based. Love Bar B Que King!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulkid View Post
forget that place Macs speedshop is the BBQ King. The best BBQ in the world.
Sorry but I tried Macs after people here said it was so great. A full rack of ribs was 19 bucks and were almost too tuff to chew and had little meat on them....The pulled pork tray was ok but nuthing to brag about. Macs doesnt even have the vinagar base BBQ sauce,,, BBQ KING drive in very good and MUCH cheaper than Macs..

Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 PM

54 posts, read 115,658 times
no vinegar-based barbecue sauce??

BZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I will never go there...

Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
BBQ King was a big west Mecklenburh High School hangout in the 60s along with Town and Country Drive in that was just down the road which was the Harding High School hang out in those days. The place has been owned by the same Greek family since their opening which I believe was around 1960. The BBQ is still good and portions big. Doesn't offer any atmosphere, just pretty descent BBQ. It has never been in what would be considered as a good part of town.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
Just watched a clip on Food Network re Bar-B-Que King drive in restaurant in Charlotte. All I can say is I can't wait to get there and sample everything. Is it all as good as it looked on TV?
Was it on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives? I have been meaning to try BBQ King for a while but it looks like the type of place that only takes cash, which I rarely have.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:56 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
The BBQ King isn't located in a dangerous part of town though it's little known because a lot of people think this. It's also one of the few authentic places to eat in Charlotte that has great local food at good prices. I put it in the same category as places like South 21 (another long term drive-in), Prices Chicken Coop, and the now destroyed Coffee Cup and once well visited McDonald's Cafeteria. It's certainly worth the visit.

There used to be a really nice steak house located near there called Staley's Steak House. In addition to good food, it was set in what would now be considered a retro, grotto like setting called the the Charcoal room.

It's great the Food Network did a piece on it. It deserves the recognition especially considering the endless places we have in Charlotte offering up some sort of fake, opps faux in Charlotte, experience.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM

314 posts, read 1,136,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Sorry but I tried Macs after people here said it was so great. A full rack of ribs was 19 bucks and were almost too tuff to chew and had little meat on them....The pulled pork tray was ok but nuthing to brag about. Macs doesnt even have the vinagar base BBQ sauce,,, BBQ KING drive in very good and MUCH cheaper than Macs..
No Vinagar based BBQ sauce!?!

Fan-Freakin-Tastic! I can't stand the vinagar based stuff and it seems like everyplace around here uses it. I LOVE BBQ and it seems like I can't get a decent rib or pork sandwich without someone slathering it in vinagar.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post

Fan-Freakin-Tastic! I can't stand the vinagar based stuff and it seems like everyplace around here uses it. I LOVE BBQ and it seems like I can't get a decent rib or pork sandwich without someone slathering it in vinagar.

If you want some of the best ribs in Charlotte where you won't taste the vinegar then go to

Bodrick's BAR-B-Q

I admit the building it isn't much to look at but that isn't the reason to go there. Usually packed with people at lunch. Takeout only.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Their sandwiches are O.K. I ordered a Macs sandwich at the Festival at the Park last year and it was all fat. It was really sickening. It was from the Macs on South Boulevard. Although I am not a beef eater, I have heard that their brisket is excellent though. Not sure what brisket is. Lots of quantity with less quality as I see it.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,455,392 times
Quote:
I agree about Macs. I see people raving about it but to me their BBQ is just okay. I'd recommend BBQ King before Macs any day. They have good food and great customer service.

Honestly I'd recommend many places before Macs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte