Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:02 PM

204 posts, read 774,367 times

Advertisements

Just watched a clip on Food Network re Bar-B-Que King drive in restaurant in Charlotte. All I can say is I can't wait to get there and sample everything. Is it all as good as it looked on TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:42 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
I saw that same show and it's got me wanting to try it too. That fried BBQ chicken looked awesome!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,915,127 times
I recorded it and watched it yesterday. I can't believe I've never been there after all of these years....but that's probably because I don't frequent the Wilkinson Blvd area. My boyfriend is a born-and-raised Myers Park native and when I asked him about it he looked at me in disbelief because I've never been there! So he is taking me down there in the next week to try it out!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I never watch that channel unless I need a good nap lol maybe all the food makes me sleepy of dreaming of eating what they are preparing.

There use to be a show called PM Magazine that would focus on local issues and establishments I wish they would bring it back. Carolina Traveler is cool but I never know when it is on.

I agree with you on the Wilkerson Blvd it a road you dont go on to unless you are going to airport or taking back road into Gastonia.

I remember last year I ate a cool drive in on left side heading into uptown but I do not remember the name of it. Im not knocking down the area but I just remember was ok roll up the window after I got my food (over precautious) but they had very good burgers

Old 06-03-2007, 01:50 PM

204 posts, read 774,367 times
KMWay-you can give a detailed review. It looked really good-not familiar w/neighborhoods yet as we are planning a move from MN to Charlotte area-hopefully soon.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
It's in a neighborhgood that is now pretty rough (known for prostituton and cheap motels). It's about 5 miles from where I work so a lot of people go there for takeout for lunch.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,915,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
KMWay-you can give a detailed review. It looked really good-not familiar w/neighborhoods yet as we are planning a move from MN to Charlotte area-hopefully soon.
Will do!

Groove had it right about the neighborhood...it's sad because years ago it was not that way. For example, BBQ King has been on Wilkinson since 1959! The original family still runs it. It's sad to see what has become of that area, but there is some revitialization going on. Magic Johnson opened the Starbucks down there, and there is new shopping.

Anyway, I'll get back to y'all on how the food is!!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:05 AM

85 posts, read 428,461 times
I just had lunch at the drive-in.
At first, it reminded me of a BBQ drive-in back home in Lexington, NC.
I got the sliced BBQ sandwich with fries and a large iced tea.
You order thru a speaker box and your food is brought to you.
Didn't take long for the food to arrive.
The BBQ sandwich was good, maybe a little on the dry side.
No slaw that I could see or taste.
Fries were good with a touch of salt, which came with 2 little cups of ketchup.
Tea was good but too much ice in the cup.
I was pleased with the meal until I asked for a refill on the tea and was told I had to bring my cup inside for a refill.
Big disappointment that I had to get out of my truck and go inside for a refill.
Next time I'll just drive to Lexington for good BBQ and service.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM

174 posts, read 196,515 times
The Bar B Cue King sign is also featured in Hootie and the Blowfish's video for Let Her Cry.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 39,643 times
forget that place Macs speedshop is the BBQ King. The best BBQ in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte