Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
That was a huge concern for me! I like the concrete wall between the properties. It looks so much neater. I don't want to see my neighbors kids toys and I don't want them to see me in my spa With that said some subdivisions allow a 6 ft privacy fence. That's probably my only grip in NC so far. I think that's why it took me an extra year to move also. I was deciding it I could live like that or if I wanted to live like that.

I ended up falling in love with a house in a subdivision that doesn't allow privacy fences Go figure. We'll work it out.

We were told at one point we could have a privacy fence. This was when we were first looking at what/where to buy. After talking about it some more we have found that they are not allowed I think an upgrade of something will be thrown in for this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 PM

94 posts, read 356,459 times
The neighborhood we used to live in had "zero lot lines," which meant that our yards were basically all connected! You could go through the HOA and have it approved for certain types of fences. I have to say that when our neighbor about four doors down put up her fence, everyone talked about how rude she was to close everyone off from her! Ah, suburban drama.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:38 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,380,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contreras-21 View Post
Hi- we were concerned too. We will live in a community with an HOA and they do allow a fence with restrictions; no taller than 4-1/2 ft I believe and it can not be a privacy fence. (there must be spaces of 1-1/2" between the stakes)
We want to keep not only our daughter and pets in , but others out!
So, you will see them but I was told most do electric fence for pets and I'm a big sissy and can't image doing that!
Good luck but be sure and ask if you aren't sure before purchasing; it was a deal make or break for us.
Personally, I'm not a fan of the "invisible fence" system. Yeah, it'll keep your dog from roaming off your property, but what about the neighbors dog from getting onto yours? It's not a real fence, IMHO, it still makes your kids & pets vulnerable to unwanted intruders.

My crazy dog would probably like the zap they get from the collar if they cross the line!

BxRosie

Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
We were told at one point we could have a privacy fence. This was when we were first looking at what/where to buy. After talking about it some more we have found that they are not allowed I think an upgrade of something will be thrown in for this
My husband thinks maybe once the HOA is really up and running we'll change the rules

Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clt1774 View Post
The neighborhood we used to live in had "zero lot lines," which meant that our yards were basically all connected! You could go through the HOA and have it approved for certain types of fences. I have to say that when our neighbor about four doors down put up her fence, everyone talked about how rude she was to close everyone off from her! Ah, suburban drama.

That wouldn't bother me if they thought I was rude. I'm used to my own area and I'm sure they wouldn't mind having a private space of their own either.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 PM

122 posts, read 488,456 times
When fences are not allowed, are you generally allowed to create privacy with landscaping (plants, trees, berms, etc...?)

Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
When fences are not allowed, are you generally allowed to create privacy with landscaping (plants, trees, berms, etc...?)

Not sure about berms (may affect drainage of the lots, which is very important around here) but I haven't heard of any HOA rules prohibiting landscaping...yet...

Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM

192 posts, read 687,569 times
Privacy fences....Where are they popular? Who had/has privacy fences and where are you from?

Just wondering. I grew up in the midwest with a big yard and we didn't have privacy fences. People had split rail, chain link or nothing. Moved to the Charlotte area and people have split rail fences or no fences. Moved to TX and it's ALL privacy fences but the homes were much closer together. I talked to a neighbor behind us quite a bit and I always felt like that guy from the show Tool Time! It was crazy. I had to stand on a box to see who I was talking to. Moved to Calif and it's the same there. All privacy fences but homes were even closer together. I felt so claustrophobic there. But believe me, from the sounds I heard next door, I sure didn't want to SEE them.

In deFENCE (sorry couldn't help myself) of an open yard, I live on a corner .4ac lot without a fence (except for a required one around the pool) and I LOVE being able to see up and down the street. It has taken some getting used to after living behind a fence for 6 years, but I don't feel hemmed in. We have trees and shrubs and some of those Cypresses that are all the rage and we plan to plant more trees and shrubs. So I don't feel like everyone is looking at me. But I AM looking at them! ha

Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 AM

396 posts, read 972,802 times
We are actually the opposite. We are looking forward to not having privacy fences. Here in CA everyone has them and because of them, no one knows their neighbors. We lived in the same house for 8 years and never knew our neighbors behind us. You can't see them. I grew up in NJ and there were no fences. The neighborhood was much more friendly.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
MKW MKW started this thread

40 posts, read 160,425 times
Default A safe space

I have lived in CA all my life and everyone here has privacy fences. In fact, my house growing up had walls, cinder block walls. I like having my own space, and its not because I want to be anti social, but rather because I want to be able to sit down in my yard and watch my kids play, and not worry about them running into the street or into someone elses yard. I dont think that a fence would prevent me from getting to know my neighbors and with all the crime, especially crimes against children, I would definiely feel safer with a fence so my house and my yard are not totally exposed and free for anyone to wander into. And thats my argument defending fences/ walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte