Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM
MKW MKW started this thread

40 posts, read 160,365 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into relocating to Charlotte area and every house we have looked at online has no fence or walls in the backyard. Is this some sort of HOA thing or do people just not put up fences? If we wanted a fence around our yard would be able to do so? Any info would be great. THanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM

182 posts, read 825,001 times
Hi- we were concerned too. We will live in a community with an HOA and they do allow a fence with restrictions; no taller than 4-1/2 ft I believe and it can not be a privacy fence. (there must be spaces of 1-1/2" between the stakes)
We want to keep not only our daughter and pets in , but others out!
So, you will see them but I was told most do electric fence for pets and I'm a big sissy and can't image doing that!
Good luck but be sure and ask if you aren't sure before purchasing; it was a deal make or break for us.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:33 PM

174 posts, read 196,384 times
People generally do not put up fences. Wooden fences tend to fall into disrepair and look tacky.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 PM

47 posts, read 192,831 times
Default It depends on where you move...

My grandma put up a white fence. It's not picket though. LOL

It fits in with her HOA guidelines, I hope.

It's some sort of molded plastic. It looks good and hopefully lasts a loooooong time. She only had to put up a small amount, as the neighbors on either side of her had their own fences.

Side note: the others have wooden fences. One is tall and looks okay but the other is short and it's made of wood and wire.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
My husband and I are looking into relocating to Charlotte area and every house we have looked at online has no fence or walls in the backyard. Is this some sort of HOA thing or do people just not put up fences? If we wanted a fence around our yard would be able to do so? Any info would be great. THanks.

That was a huge concern for me! I like the concrete wall between the properties. It looks so much neater. I don't want to see my neighbors kids toys and I don't want them to see me in my spa With that said some subdivisions allow a 6 ft privacy fence. That's probably my only grip in NC so far. I think that's why it took me an extra year to move also. I was deciding it I could live like that or if I wanted to live like that.

I ended up falling in love with a house in a subdivision that doesn't allow privacy fences Go figure. We'll work it out.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,673 times
My HOA does not allow any privacy fense either. However, have you thought about a "natural" fence? The Thuja Green Giant is a kind of evergreen that I have seen planted in many houses in NC. These trees are like christmas trees and should be planted 6 feet apart from each other. They grow some 5 feet a year, and if planted together, can provide privacy in the backyard that will be within the HOA regulations.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
We was fortunate to have wooded lot backyard but for the neighbors on the side we planted Cedar trees down our side of property line. I did it about 3 years ago and I can no longer see my neighbors. When they get full sun they can grow about a foot a year to create a natural looking buffer and being a evergreen you will have year round privacy. Some HOA might have restrictions on arbor but ours does not.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
My HOA does not allow any privacy fense either. However, have you thought about a "natural" fence? The Thuja Green Giant is a kind of evergreen that I have seen planted in many houses in NC. These trees are like christmas trees and should be planted 6 feet apart from each other. They grow some 5 feet a year, and if planted together, can provide privacy in the backyard that will be within the HOA regulations.

Nice, I'll look into those. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:39 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
Each HOA is different with regard to the fencing they allow in the communities. Many don't allow the kind of fences I was used to up north (6 foot privacy fences) When you start looking at homes, ask your realtor to find out what the HOA allows in terms of fencing if that is important to you.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
We have about 1 acre of our 2.5 acres fenced for our dog and the kids. We weren't interested in any homes where you can see the everyone's backyards. It seemed like a "shared" backyard in many places. Our property also has a lot of trees in the areas that line the neighbors so there is privacy.

Don't get me wrong. Our neighbors are great and I really enjoy talking to them, but we enjoy our privacy too.

There ARE neighborhoods where there are more trees if you look around.

Best of luck.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte