Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 AM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,307 times

Advertisements

I'm not as concerned about having a 6ft privacy fence, but we'll be putting in some type of fence once we buy (sorry in advance, neighbors). We have a dog that we like to let roam outside, SAFELY. I have zero interest in finding out through experience whether the neighborhood dogs are as "friendly" as we get told. Already had to deal with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM

122 posts, read 488,222 times
I have a privacy fence here in CA. I live on a 1/2 acre at the base of the San Gabriel mountains and need the fence to protect my family and animals by keeping out mountain lions, bears, cayotes, etc... and I also have a pool and a 5 foot fence is required for safety. (IMHO) It is a very a nice tasteful open rail iron fence with a nice vertigre finish. One portion doubles as a trellis for grapes, one section is trellised with roses. I'm not a fan of fencing in the front of houses as it is my opinion that a neighborhood full of different styles of front yard fences is usually ugly and really don't understand why people feel the need to do it. I have seen new developments that control the design of front yard fences which in my opinion can result in a lovely asthetic.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,307 times
Agreed. I have no liking at all for front yard fences.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM

107 posts, read 120,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
My husband and I are looking into relocating to Charlotte area and every house we have looked at online has no fence or walls in the backyard. Is this some sort of HOA thing or do people just not put up fences? If we wanted a fence around our yard would be able to do so? Any info would be great. THanks.
its a cultural thing usually...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM

28 posts, read 136,331 times
I do not know of any new home subdivisions that puts up fences for u or as a new home pkg.... however if u are in the market for an older home (one some has lived in), u may have better luck

i purchased an older home that already had a 6' privacy fence.... as large as my backyard is, I am THANKFUL... estimate to have it re-done was almost running into $7,000

not sure about the walls u speak of UNLESS its a neighborhood that backs up to a highway or major street and or wooded area...so the wall is up 4 privacy i suppose and to decrease traffic noise or something to that nature

HOA, i would check with their policies BEFORE purchasing a home just in case there is something that does not sit well with how u should comply with their rules... i've heard they can be very strict and rigid and sometimes ppls do not find out bout various things until the HOA has sent them a noticed about they being in violation

Old 06-07-2007, 02:10 PM

[quote=TJ4u;846824]I do not know of any new home subdivisions that puts up fences for u or as a new home pkg.... however if u are in the market for an older home (one some has lived in), u may have better luck

I've seen photo's of neighborhoods in Raleigh with fences designed by the builders (a development in Madison Park comes to mind).

Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 PM

192 posts, read 687,190 times
NCBOUND123, We just moved from Rancho Cucamonga. Where about are you?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:42 AM

36 posts, read 466,986 times
Default Put DeFence up or not!

this is in response to MKW's thread. I can relate to your thoughts about the fence issue around here. We had an older home up north with a 6' fence and it was okay for up there. The houses were closer together and through the years, as our neighbors moved out and new neighbors moved in, the benefit of having that fence was even greater..to us.

When we moved into our new home in 05, the development was still new and there were only a couple homes with fences. One had a pool so they had the required 6' fence. The others were the low, split rail with chicken wire. We were planning on putting up a similar fence down the road however, the more time we spend on our back porch, the more we feel a fence would be too confining. Why would someone wanting to get away from the confineds of a fenced-in box, turn their new home into that very thing? Boggles the mind. In any event, there have been several early mornings and evenings where we've seen deer....several deer run the length of the neighborhood to the surrounding trees. We have Beaver living in the nearby creek, crane which occasionally land in the backyards. We have even had numerous occasions where we will be sitting on the back porch and our neighbors would stop by, one-by-one, to sit and chat with us. Our newest neighbor moved into a home which had a split-rail fence for their dogs and, after seeing how friendly everyone else was, they took the fence down. For these reasons alone, we have decided NOT to put up a fence. We live in a very friendly neighborhood and all of us in this part of the development have gotten to know each other and we enjoy each others company. The freedom to enjoy all of this is just too precious to ruin with a fence. Oh yes! "Good fences do make for good neighbors"...this is so true. However, all of us here seem to respect each others privacy so far, and until this changes, we will keep our wide open space. This is just my opinion and observation so good luck with your decision.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggleflap View Post
NCBOUND123, We just moved from Rancho Cucamonga. Where about are you?

I'm from the Eaton Canyon area of Altadena/Pasadena.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 AM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
What is the objection to privacy fences by the HOAs? I don't get that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte