Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 AM

298 posts, read 565,159 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about Olde Whitehall neighborhood. Olde Whitehall street/drive, steele creek elementary, Kennedy middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 08:10 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I wouldn't buy a house there. I used to live near there and the neighborhood has been declining steadily for the past few years. Very high property crime rate in that area and too close to a rough street (Nations Ford Rd) despite the police station being nearby. Many homes for sale in this area for obvious reasons.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM

I haven't been there yet, assumed since it was in S Charlotte it would be somewhat nice and going up. Guess I was wrong! There is a gorgeous Colonial for sale that has been extensively renovated, and I was thinking that if the neighborhood had good housing stock, it would go up, not down. That was my experience in Portland. An area right off Martin Luther King Blvd, that was the bad street, went through the roof price wise and was gentrified with upper class families because it was full of gorgeous houses that had been in decline through the years. I am just so unfamiliar w/Charlotte. Have only been to Ballantyne...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 AM

Well, it's a far cry from Ballantyne. It is one of the few nieghborhoods in Charlotte that has been declining and not the other way around. One of my coworkers lived there and moved out three years ago. She had a really nice house and it still took almost a year to sell (people are trying to sell them for more than what the location is worth).

Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM

what is happening to make it decline? Is is houses that have been owned many years and owners haven't been able to fix up (fixed income types, etc) or is it the people that are buying the houses? They don't seem like the type to turn into rentals. Crime wise, is is house theft, or walking down the street someone robs sort of thing, or are the local shops full of bars in the windows... Does Nations Ford have the strip joints, etc? In the West we always knew that if a Starbucks went into a neighborhood, you knew it would turn, and people started snapping up the houses! Ha ha. The investors would come in and you didn't stand a chance...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
It isn't Ballantyne but I like the area. I live near Olde Whitehall and I have to agree that it looks likeit is on a decline. I don't have any firsthand experience but from what I see driving by many of the homes and yards need a lot more upkeep. The overall area is nice with lots of shopping, including Ayrsley, just minutes away. The new Rivergate shopping center is closeby as well. I sugesst checking out the other single family homes and townhomes.

PS. If it means anything to you, there are three Starbucks nearby (and one inside SuperTarget).

Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM

We don't want a townhome, 3 kids, 2 dogs, and I grew up with horses, so i just don't like them. I have been thinking Indian Land in Union would be good, but I am a sucker for a Colonial, and this house on Olde Whitehall looked nice, but I have to see the neighborhood, too hard to tell from pictures. My husband will be working in Ballantyne, so want to be in S Charlotte area.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 AM

I think it is just more of the bad neighborhood is spreading into this one. I still come up South Tryon Street (the main street through old Whitehall) and it just appears to be getting worse. I have some gang graffiti (possibly from gangs) and other bad things happening around there. Would I walk through there during the day? Yes. At night? Heck no.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM

28 posts, read 136,331 times
interesting as i had a girlfriend who lived in this neighborhood long ago when it was nice and fairly new (at least it appeared that way and i think they built a ole whitehall 2 if i am not mistaken)...... earlier this yr i paid a visit to a near by school and driving by it did appear as if the neighborhood was on the decline - HOWEVER I would pay a personal visit to ANY home i am interested in purchasing as well as talk to neighbors and get a first hand feel for the people and the area... what one person can not deal with, maybe another is... good luck

we are ppl looking from the outside in.... so i would value someone opionion who either lives there or just recently left from living there...again, good luck

Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM

I actually lived in an apartment almost within walking distance of the neighborhood. I was there for almost 5 years and I work less than 3 miles away, so I am pretty familiar with it.

And Ayrsley is a really nice shopping center. But there is hardly any parking there.

Last edited by groove1; 06-07-2007 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte