Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved to Charlotte a couple weeks ago after graduating college with a degree in Business Administration with emphasis in Marketing. I have been job-hunting since I got here and am having no luck so far. It seems as though there are NO job postings for recent grads/entry-level positions. If anyone could suggest anything, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:16 AM

148 posts, read 423,767 times
I know for one that Bank of America always has lot of jobs.
Bank of America | Careers | Overview
All the best and happy hnting

Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 AM

148 posts, read 423,767 times
Check out the post by bibit612 (yesterday) about the upcoming job fair.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Its tough out there all around. We have a friend who graduated a year ago and is still looking for work in his field as well.

Just keep sending resumes, going to job fairs...just keep at it and try not to get discouraged. Use every interview as a learning experience. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,816 times
You're right - this is a tough job market all around, and I expect especially so for new grads. The general high unemployment rate means that employers can often get experienced people for those lower, "entry level" jobs, which means you may very well be competing against some very experienced people.

Unfortunately, right now a couple of weeks of job hunting is only just the beginning. Many people are finding it takes 6 months to a year to find a job. And some have had to move out of the area, at least temporarily in order to find work.

Like Tober said just keep trying, it could take a while.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
You might consider joining some marketing associations in the area. That is a way to network and meet folks who may be able to give you leads on jobs.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 PM

16 posts, read 48,255 times
I graduated with your degree. I'm in school now because I decided to change careers but my first 'real' job out of college was selling copiers. It's not glamourous but it is generally always hiring because of high turnover. If you're willing to do sales, I would check that out. Plus, if you want to stay in sales, it's the best starting point to get you to very lucrative positions 3 or 4 years out.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:19 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
Not sure if this is helpful advice or not, but it's taking so many people SO long to find work, it may be a good idea to seek out internship or volunteer opportunities in the meantime. Although it'd be great to find work soon, if that doesn't happen you could at least say you were doing something productive and maybe make a few contacts.

Plus, even a few months of semi-relevant experience could be enough to qualify for better, paying jobs.

Also, even if your college is out-of-state, see if they have an alumni network or any career contacts for Charlotte.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:32 PM

43 posts, read 95,809 times
what about customer service call centers? any jobs in that field? ha u gotta start somewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: