Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM

24 posts, read 62,754 times

Advertisements

I went to college at JMU, and have visited Charlottesville several times. Each time I was there, I felt a very strong attraction to the town. I've always told myself that I'd like to live there one day, and that it's one of my favorite places in the entire country.

I'm currently between jobs right now. For the past 5 years, I've been in the television industry...and Charlottesville is a very small market for that. I've spent the last three years in Norfolk, but now that I'm between jobs...I'm thinking about finally doing what I've always talked about and packing up my car and heading to C'Ville.

Unfortunatly, if I wanted to stay in television I wouldn't be getting paid close to what I make now. I'm thinking about looking into some other work options, but it's looking like most places that I'm interested in pay between mid/high 20s and low 30s. Not good.

My question is this - could a 28 year old, single guy live in Charlottesville on this salary? I'd want a decent, one bedroom apartment (or maybe a 2 bedroom with a roommate if I must) close to downtown so I could do a lot of walking. I don't go out constantly, but I enjoy hitting the bars a few nights a week, or taking in a concert from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Default Roanoke?

Hey! I know you have your heart set on Charlottesville, and It is a nice mountain town. But the cost of living is relatively high up there. I am a young guy myself (22) and Live comfortably in the city of Roanoke and I feel it has many of qualities of Charlottesville, but in a bigger city atmosphere and a much lower cost of living. Of course its not the same thing, to you if you have your heart set on there but I feel its worth the drive up to check it out. It sure beats Norfolk and you may be able to find a job in television here. Check out the Roanoke sub forum and see what they say about jobs in that field around here if your even a little interested in our town. -Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mike View Post
I went to college at JMU, and have visited Charlottesville several times. Each time I was there, I felt a very strong attraction to the town. I've always told myself that I'd like to live there one day, and that it's one of my favorite places in the entire country.

I'm currently between jobs right now. For the past 5 years, I've been in the television industry...and Charlottesville is a very small market for that. I've spent the last three years in Norfolk, but now that I'm between jobs...I'm thinking about finally doing what I've always talked about and packing up my car and heading to C'Ville.

Unfortunatly, if I wanted to stay in television I wouldn't be getting paid close to what I make now. I'm thinking about looking into some other work options, but it's looking like most places that I'm interested in pay between mid/high 20s and low 30s. Not good.

My question is this - could a 28 year old, single guy live in Charlottesville on this salary? I'd want a decent, one bedroom apartment (or maybe a 2 bedroom with a roommate if I must) close to downtown so I could do a lot of walking. I don't go out constantly, but I enjoy hitting the bars a few nights a week, or taking in a concert from time to time.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 AM

168 posts, read 840,727 times
I would think you could swing it. Obviously it depends on what other debt/bills you have!
Look in the Cville classifieds and the Hook classifieds. Not to mention Craigslist as well.

What do you do in TV? I have some friends at WVIR.....

Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm a newscast Director. Started out at WHSV in Harrisonburg and then jumped up to Norfolk. A buddy of mine says he could get me a job at WCAV making 30K

Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 193,692 times
You could lease out a room out of a downtown home or a basement apt. for about $800 per month. $30K is not a lot of money, but I know folks in town who get by with less. You could probably find something right between Downtown Mall and the Newsplex where WCAV is housed (although they do have their eyes on another site in Albemarle Co.) - this way at least for 1 year you'd be able to walk to work, restaurants, bars, etc.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
You could probably find something right between Downtown Mall and the Newsplex where WCAV is housed (although they do have their eyes on another site in Albemarle Co.) - this way at least for 1 year you'd be able to walk to work, restaurants, bars, etc.
that's definitely where I'd want to live...i LOVE the downtown mall. i'm all about walking there.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 PM

395 posts, read 523,230 times
Its gotton so dang over priced, good luck! Maybe you could get an apartment there, buts its prices are getting like NOVA, and frankly so are the people (that Nova is now, not like it was 40 years ago)

Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM

well, i've now been offered 32K...which is a little better

anyone know anything about these apartments:

1924 meets 2004. Steps from the downtown mall...miles from the ordinary.

i bet they're expensive...

Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 PM

they bumped me up to 34K

that should certainly be doable, right?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 PM

67 posts, read 269,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mike View Post
they bumped me up to 34K

that should certainly be doable, right?

In my opinion, absolutely. I currently pay <$400 a month to rent an apartment. This is my second year of living on a grad student stipend. You are earning an actual salary. I don't know how you live (lavishly, below your means, etc.), but I can tell you that what you want to do is certainly possible.

Check out Charlottesville Apartments - Blue Ridge Apartment Council. That's how I found my apartment. Good luck to you and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Oh, and I'm glad you like Charlottesville. It's beautiful, but I hate it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville