Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 12:46 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times

Advertisements

I know, I know... the emblem is usually viewed as "everything" when it comes to marketing and branding. The world is practically run on symbols and symbolism and emblematic associations, which drive a lot of consumer decision making (consciously and unconsciously)... HOWEVER, I happened to pass a very nice looking Buick on the road today , and then when it passed ... I noticed it... I noticed the emblem.

And I just got turned off...

I dunno ... I just associated it with an elderly person's vehicle. And that just doesn't jibe with their recent marketing campaigns that are aimed toward that late 20s,30s, 40s market. The emblem just looks dated.

Maybe it's just me...

And I still don't see many "younger" people buying and driving the new Buicks...I know Buick is done with Sedans, but should part of its revamp include changing the emblem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 02:36 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,863,405 times
Yes, we all have our biases, I would have rather been driving a Pontiac, I think they should have kept the Pontiac for US and sell the Buick in China since apparently in there it is almost a status car/brand.

My wife, for whatever reason dislikes the name "Kia", she is okay with Hyundai. No matter how much explaining I have done that they are essentially the same company, she wouldn't settle. I have passed on a few good Kia deals and settled for the similar Hyundai with the same engine/transmission.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:56 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Association of Buick with old age is long forgotten. The parents of the kids who are buying cars never drove Buick to stigmatize it. May be their grandparents did but they are long gone along with their cars. Buick just doesn't conjure up anything. It once did but not now. Buick is now one of the gazillion of brands that make small cross overs. Emblem isn't their problem.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:57 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,948,003 times
I really like the 2020 Buick Envision with 2.5L I4. It's the #1 highest-rated reliability I would rank that exceeds Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V for this year only.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:58 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
GM will never change the Buick Emblem it’s 117 years old. That’s like saying Ford will get rid of the blue oval.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:01 PM

648 posts, read 432,073 times
Historically, Buick was always the engine innovator of GM.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:17 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Association of Buick with old age is long forgotten...

I wholeheartedly disagree lolololol

There are a number of recent articles out about it too still exploring while Buick hasn't "broken through" with a younger demo. Here's just one of them...

https://blog.cargurus.com/2009/08/10...er-buy-a-buick

I'm telling you... it's the emblem...

Old 12-31-2020, 03:27 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
I have never known of a sane person to buy or not buy a car based on the emblem lol There might be some tarot card reader or the like out there that won't but I have never even heard of anyone.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
My aunt and uncle always drove Buicks, and yes, they were old at the time. I remember their 1959 LeSabre, and later 1965 Riviera, when they would take me to their mountain cabin some weekends. The logo was the 3 overlapping shields, red white and blue as now, but has been "modernized. I don't think the logo makes any difference to buyers, it's the premium cost for a Chevy with a little more upscale trim, just like Pontiac and Oldsmobile.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:06 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I know, I know... the emblem is usually viewed as "everything" when it comes to marketing and branding. The world is practically run on symbols and symbolism and emblematic associations, which drive a lot of consumer decision making (consciously and unconsciously)... HOWEVER, I happened to pass a very nice looking Buick on the road today , and then when it passed ... I noticed it... I noticed the emblem.

And I just got turned off...

I dunno ... I just associated it with an elderly person's vehicle. And that just doesn't jibe with their recent marketing campaigns that are aimed toward that late 20s,30s, 40s market. The emblem just looks dated.

Maybe it's just me...

And I still don't see many "younger" people buying and driving the new Buicks...I know Buick is done with Sedans, but should part of its revamp include changing the emblem?
So you're a young guy? Like 21?
Rilly, though, I see a lot of young guys driving the Buick utility critters. More so than the classic geriatric set. FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Yes, we all have our biases, I would have rather been driving a Pontiac, I think they should have kept the Pontiac for US and sell the Buick in China since apparently in there it is almost a status car/brand.

My wife, for whatever reason dislikes the name "Kia", she is okay with Hyundai. No matter how much explaining I have done that they are essentially the same company, she wouldn't settle. I have passed on a few good Kia deals and settled for the similar Hyundai with the same engine/transmission.
I was a big Poncho fan for a long time. GM watered everything down and finally dumped it. My last was a 2008 GP GXP 5.3.

Funny how that works. I just like the way KIA rings better. Long ago I associated it with a tragic military acronym. After owning four of them, three of them Souls (no Hyundai equivalent), I really appreciate the brand. Not a lick of trouble out of any of these cars.

But I understand how the name or brand resonates. Fur instance, I just don't like the name Nissan. It's not any improvement over Datsun. Just don't like the sound of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC