Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Yeah, I'm being facetious...point is that if Buick has any pretense of being upscale having them tacked on to what looks like a truck dealership is not helping the brand in the least. I drive by a GMC dealer all the time, I assume they sell Buicks but its not noticeable.
Buick's don't sell well enough to have an exclusive dealership. If it weren't for GMC, those Buick/GMC dealers would likely go out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 07:57 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
As long as their underpowered like that they will remain a old persons car.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:27 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
I think GM still has a stigma of not being a leader in reliability. I grew up in a GM family and was a loyal GM buyer from my first car, a 1961 Buick LeSabre to a 1985 Cadillac Sedan De Ville. The Sedan De Ville was a disaster reliability wise. It left my chronically ill wife stranded several times. Once with a blown engine, GM replaced it for me free, must have been a known design issue? A second time with the same symptoms as when the engine failed but which turned out to be a failed belt. Never again have I owned a GM product. Driven a few as rental cars and cant help but bring back those feelings of a poor quality car.

Has GM improved reliability? Sure. They had to so they followed the Japanese lead. Have they caught up overall? Not in my view. they are still chasing the leader in reliability. So why would I reward GM by following a lead of the Japanese? I wont and haven't. Infiniti and Lexus is all I have owned since 1994.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:49 AM

25,761 posts, read 12,840,301 times
I like some of Buick's models, & they've been getting some decent ratings on reliability, but the Chinese connection turned me away.

I will not buy a car made in China...period!...ever!

I will not buy a car from a company owned by China either...like Volvo; no matter how much I like their cars.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Not everyone gets to experience being "elderly". Don't knock it.

Emblems don't make a car better or worse, engineering and quality of manufacture are what makes the difference.
I love this - so true and a great way to appreciate life.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I like some of Buick's models, & they've been getting some decent ratings on reliability, but the Chinese connection turned me away.

I will not buy a car made in China...period!...ever!

I will not buy a car from a company owned by China either...like Volvo; no matter how much I like their cars.
But you are buying a vehicle made in China do you really think that all the components in your vehicle are not made by a automotive supplier from China. No such thing as a one nation vehicle. It’s a global market parts made all over the world. So everyone is driving a vehicle that has the county China in it. Unless it’s a classic vehicle.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:13 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But you are buying a vehicle made in China do you really think that all the components in your vehicle are not made by a automotive supplier from China. No such thing as a one nation vehicle. It’s a global market parts made all over the world. So everyone is driving a vehicle that has the county China in it. Unless it’s a classic vehicle.

Maybe so, but if there is an option to buy vehicle that's MADE in the USA vs. one that's not, many people (such as myself) would choose against one that's entirely made in China (or other 3rd world country).

For me, I'd much rather buy an "import" that's made domestically, vs. an "American" car that's not. That's why I recently got myself a new Honda CRV which was assembled in Liberty, OH (instead of it's sad Buick competitor, the Encore, which is made in Bupyeong).

Last edited by bfrabel; 01-03-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-03-2021, 10:27 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
As long as their underpowered like that they will remain a old persons car.
Even though I generally find GM’s 3.6 to be meh, I wouldn’t say they’re underpowered. My van has a roughly equivalent 3.6l Pentastar with 283hp and weighs right around 5000lb with a driver and it gets around quite well.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:59 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Buick and GMC seem like the last holdovers of GM's strategy of selling the same car under different names. I think that strategy is dead in the water essentially.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:07 AM

1,156 posts, read 942,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Buick's don't sell well enough to have an exclusive dealership. If it weren't for GMC, those Buick/GMC dealers would likely go out of business.

Exactly, in the US Buick is basically a zombie brand that died along time ago. So no the problem is not the emblem/logo. The problem is there is zero reason to care about it at all. Put it out of its misery and get rid of it. I don't miss Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn and wouldn't miss Buick for a nano-second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC