Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 10:49 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I have a 2016 Acura MDX with SH-AWD ("Super Handling All Wheel Drive") that tips the scales at about 4300 lbs. The engine is a naturally aspirated 3.5L and produces 290 @ 6200 rpm and 267 lb-ft of torque @ 4700 rpm.

I consider it underpowered - especially driving into the mountains (I live at about 7300 feet elevation). I notice the maximum torque on the Buick is at a modest 2800 rpm - that may possibly make it more driveable than my MDX where to get the same torque I need the engine buzzing at 4700 rpm.
Altitude changes that dramatically. At that elevation you’re getting a LOT less power. You’re a good candidate for one of the turbo engines, they feel the altitude way less.

I’m sitting at something like 500’ ASL. At your height, it’s no wonder your engine is suckin’ wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 11:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,757,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
I really like the 2020 Buick Envision with 2.5L I4. It's the #1 highest-rated reliability I would rank that exceeds Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V for this year only.
Of course, its the worst driving SUV of the three, but you don't care about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I know, I know... the emblem is usually viewed as "everything" when it comes to marketing and branding. The world is practically run on symbols and symbolism and emblematic associations, which drive a lot of consumer decision making (consciously and unconsciously)... HOWEVER, I happened to pass a very nice looking Buick on the road today , and then when it passed ... I noticed it... I noticed the emblem.

And I just got turned off...

I dunno ... I just associated it with an elderly person's vehicle. And that just doesn't jibe with their recent marketing campaigns that are aimed toward that late 20s,30s, 40s market. The emblem just looks dated.

Maybe it's just me...

And I still don't see many "younger" people buying and driving the new Buicks...I know Buick is done with Sedans, but should part of its revamp include changing the emblem?
The emblem is the least of their problems. I feel its a good one, very distinctive. No, thier problem is they are tethered to GMs corporate offerings...

Old 01-04-2021, 02:55 AM

25,764 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But you are buying a vehicle made in China do you really think that all the components in your vehicle are not made by a automotive supplier from China. No such thing as a one nation vehicle. It’s a global market parts made all over the world. So everyone is driving a vehicle that has the county China in it. Unless it’s a classic vehicle.
My classic German car has no Chinese components in it. Our Toyota Camry has 75% American parts. China gets very litle money from me & my company. I'm a human rights consumer, especially with big ticket purchases; like cars.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:43 AM

672 posts, read 699,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I have a 2016 Acura MDX with SH-AWD ("Super Handling All Wheel Drive") that tips the scales at about 4300 lbs. The engine is a naturally aspirated 3.5L and produces 290 @ 6200 rpm and 267 lb-ft of torque @ 4700 rpm.

I consider it underpowered - especially driving into the mountains (I live at about 7300 feet elevation). I notice the maximum torque on the Buick is at a modest 2800 rpm - that may possibly make it more driveable than my MDX where to get the same torque I need the engine buzzing at 4700 rpm.
You're definitely a candidate for a turbo motor.The 2.0T four cylinder that Honda uses now,out runs the 3.5L v6 every single time, no matter what the situation is. Of course this disparity grows at altitude.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:03 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Wasn't Tiger Woods a spokesperson for Buick at one time? If so, it did nothing to change Buick's image and you would think that his presence would have done so.
He didn't do much to change the target demographic of golf, either.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
GM will never change the Buick Emblem it’s 117 years old. That’s like saying Ford will get rid of the blue oval.
Ford didn't have a blue oval on the exterior of their cars from 1939 to 1981.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:13 AM

672 posts, read 699,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The emblem is okay, but the vehicles are boring. Like Hondas (but lacking the Honda reputation for reliability).

I just took a look at their site and the upcoming 2021 Envision may have a chance if they actually do some smart advertising. It's has a modern, somewhat sporty look, that's not flashy, and it's decent size. Reminds me of the Mazda CX-5.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
In 2021, all Buick sells is crossovers. Why would I want to buy any General Motors crossover? If I'm in the Enclave market and could live with the brand stigma of Buick, I'm probably buying Korean with the 10/100k warranty.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:57 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Buick and Cadillac will soon go the way of Oldsmobile and Pontiac. They have failed to excite younger buyers.

For someone in their 30’s in the market for a luxury vehicle, Cadillac isn’t even on their radar unlike MB/BMW/AUDI/Lexus.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I have yet to hear any young professional under the age of 40 mention Buick when in the market for a new vehicle. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone mention Buick when shopping for a vehicle unless it was someone in the market for a Grand National.

No, it has nothing to do with the emblem. It has to do with the name itself and the stigma.

The commercials itself tell the story. The entire commercial is to convince you they it’s no longer your grandfathers Buick.
No one in my family wants a new vehicle, but my 14 year old wants a Roadmaster wagon for his first car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC