Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times

Advertisements

There are over a 130K residents and Naperville and tens of thousand more shoppers and office workers . The cops barely have enough staff to enforce legitmate traffic laws. Beleive me the professionally trained admintrative police leaders know they'd face a massive DOJ investigation if there is ANY imbalance in their traffic stops by race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,873,399 times
Default Target POS cars, not skin color

From what I have seen, Naperville police target POS cars with busted tail lights as well as aggressive drivers and those who run red lights.

Driving in a POS just makes you a bigger target for the police as well as bad driving habits.

If a subset of the population drives a disproportionate number of the POS cars in Naperville, so be it, though I have seen plenty of POS cars in Naperville being driven by Asians, Whites, and Hispanics.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
It's not uncommon for cops to target young males, regardless of skin color or the even the car they're driving. I wouldn't be surprised if Naperville Police behaved this way. I'm a young white male and if I my 2000 Jetta was searched in Naperville, I wouldn't be shocked about it.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
What's a matter with Naperville? I know several African Americans who live there and enjoy it.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 PM

I know several of my black co-workers who live in Naperville and love it though one lady says you can be pulled over for DWB. However, she loves Naperville and finds it to be an excellent place for her son to attend high school, much better than the west side of Chicago where they used to live. She is one of the lucky ones. Yes, she started out young (she is 34 with 17 year old son) but was able to attend Depaul and work hard and is now one of my better analysts.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
It's interesting how you act like its a huge problem there wont be other black kids on the block for the psters kids to play with. What's wrong with them playing with white kids?
This is what I say. My city is 93% Hispanic, and when my half white mutt/half Filipino babies come there will be no problem with them playing with Hispanic kids. I don't get why people see the need to only socialize with the race they are. If white people say they want to live where there are mostly white people, that person is a racist. No one ever talks about the lack of diversity where I live, that's for sure.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Diversity to most people is non-white. This is totally wrong of course. Everyone always talk about the lack of diversity in Naperville, not the west or south sides of Chicago in areas like Austin and Englewood (which have almost no diversity).

I am sure if given a choice (and provided money was not an issue) most black families would choose to live in mostly-white Naperville vs Calumet City or Harvey. People may value being around other people of the same race but most won't sacrifice their kids education and their family's safety to do it.

Most people just want to live in a nice neighborhood, regardless of race. Hardly anyone with options will choice to live in Englewood.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM

This is nonsense usually perpetuated by people with an agenda. I can't remember the last time anyone's ever called the city of Detroit "diverse". Or Ford Heights.

Diverse does, in fact, mean diverse. Or at least diverse from a euro-centric perspective. 60% white and a diversity of other races is great. 60% black and a diversity of other races.. not so much.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Me neither. My particular neighborhood was 97% black according to 2005-2009 Mapping America census tract and the elementary school just down the street from me is 95% black. Monoracial if you ask me. Still accurate heading towards 2011 because my block is all African American. The last white person moved out when I was in 5th or 6th grade.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-24-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Me neither. My particular neighborhood was 97% black according to 2005-2009 Mapping America census tract and the elementary school just down the street from me is 95% black. Monoracial if you ask me. Still accurate heading towards 2011 because my block is all African American. The last white person moved out when I was in 5th or 6th grade.
Contrary to popular belief, there are in fact white people who live in Harvey just as there are black people who live in Naperville. A friend of a friend of mine is a white guy from Harvey. He was private schooled his whole life. The last time I was in Harvey, I saw a middle aged white lady who appeared to be walking home from the train station. This was on the way to a work-related event and we were picking up someone at the Harvey train station.

Harvey is a lot more diverse than Ford Heights which is virtually all black. I say "virtually" so no one can argue with me. Harvey has a sizable Mexican population. And apparently, as I've read on City-Data, there's a little South Asian section of town. And yeah, there are even white people..

This doesn't make Harvey a nice place to live. I wouldn't advice anyone to move there. I'm just saying..

Last edited by urza216; 12-24-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs