Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Matteson just by the sheer percent of growth of middle class residents
Link? Proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
black middle class flight from chicago.
Link? Proof?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge31 View Post
Pretty sure Borders is in the 46th Ward...Helen Shrillers old ward...
WRONG AGAIN.

http://www.aldermanshiller.com/images/wardmap.jpg

Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Aren't you one of those that go there, read things, and don't buy printed materials? You have a lot of nerve talking about someone that actually buys things in bookstores kiddo.
Umm.. What? These two things have nothing to do with each other. You're really stretching.

First of all, I bought a (normally) eleven dollar book, a magazine and wrapping paper at the going out of business sale. So there goes that.

Second of all, I couldn't even begin to estimate how much money I've funneled into Borders over the years, both from buying four dollar drinks in the cafe, brownies and occasionally buying a book or another product. Most of these people who have no respect for the aesthetics of the store and leave books all over the place prabobly haven't even stepped foot in Borders for years. If someone went on a hundred dollar shopping spree the other day for their going out of business sale, I can guarantee you I've spent quite a bit more than that in the past year. Everyone who works in the cafe at Borders in Matteson knows my name. It was my place to go and relax. I know the whole store front and backwards like my own house and I've even helped out customers before who thought I worked there.

Third of all, what do you think the cafe is for? It's for reading books in the store over a cup of coffee or a coffee drink (the two are not the same thing - it's not "a four dollar cup of coffee" because it's not coffee, lol. That's like calling a milk shake "milk"). Have you ever been inside Borders cafes? It's a place to sit and chat with someone, read a book from your store by yourself or take take advantage of the free wi-fi if you have a labtop. Not all Borders are like this but at the Borders in Matteson, there are three cushioned chairs in front of almost every section of the book store! What do you think these chairs are for? They're for reading the books at the store, that's what! You're talking like reading a book at Borders without buying it is some kind of deviant behavior. It's not. It's not illegal and it's not "frowned upon" either. It's expected and ordinary.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Link? Proof?
The front page article of today's Southtown Star is about how "hisorically white southland towns" like Matteson has seen an influx of "middle class minorities". There are three articles inside today's Southtown Star that I seriously think Humbold1 should read.

Quote:
By the way Azizi Books in lincoln mall I believe will be the only bookstore in matteson after borders closes.
Aside from fading memories, Azizi Books is the only thing that makes Lincoln Mall special anymore. No, I didn't say shoppable. I said special.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about Borders....
I wanna hear from some north/west suburbanites and city folk who haven't even heard of Lincoln Mall before.

Last edited by urza216; 02-21-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
Quote:
Link? Proof?
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that a decline in chicago's black middle class population has meant an influx of middle class blacks in the far southern suburbs. I am black and I live in the area. I can see first hand where most of the new influx of middle class black residents are coming from. Mostly chicago and closer in suburbs that have also experienced black middle class flight over the past decade do to former CHA residents moving in. Matteson's population has grown by 47 percent since 2000.

Not surprised about black migration to burbs - Chicago Sun-Times

Last edited by allen2323; 02-21-2011 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
The front page article of today's Southtown Star is about how "hisorically white southland towns" like Matteson has seen an influx of "middle class minorities". There are three articles inside today's Southtown Star that I seriously think Humbold1 should read.
Whoops, I was actually talking about yesterday's Southtown Star, the Sunday paper. I threw a stack of them out in the dumpster during my overnight shift.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Anyway, let's get back to talking about Borders....
I wanna hear from some north/west suburbanites and city folk who haven't even heard of Lincoln Mall before.
I'm a North Sider and I'd never heard of Lincoln Mall before I read this thread. As far as I can remember, the only south suburban mall I've ever been to is River Oaks, and only because I had a friend in Hegewisch who took me there a few times.

I don't think I've ever even been to Matteson.

I was in the Lakeview Borders (Broadway/Clark/Diversey) today... Although it was a lot busier than usual and the checkout line was pretty long, the place still looked mostly intact except for the 20% off signs all over the place. Books in place on shelves, no materials strewn about haphazardly.

Man, I'm really going to miss that place. It's been a favorite hangout of mine for the past 15 years.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that a decline in chicago's black middle class population has meant an influx of middle class blacks in the far southern suburbs.
When I see numbers from the census showing a large amount of middle class blacks moved out of the city, maybe I will believe it.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
I don't know...I think Borders and Barnes and Noble are well aware of the fact that many people just come there to read with no intent to purchase.

Every time I have purchased a book it has been after reading it there. But I have not purchased a book every time I have sat and read there. From my perspective as a consumer, if I'm just browsing for books, I would not go to a store where I could not do that without being obligated to purchase a book.

I haven't seen any signs saying no books in the coffee shop area, and furthermore people take their coffee into the bookstore area anyway. You're just as apt to spill coffee on a book sitting in a chair outside the coffee shop as you are sitting in a chair inside one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs