Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 PM

829 posts, read 2,089,752 times

Advertisements

Either way, the far southern suburbs is in the perfect position to continue to benefit with population growth from black middle class flight from chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM

61 posts, read 85,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mess View Post
Did the alderman fight to get them in the neighborhood?
I think Borders wanted in but Helen Shriller didn't want it...some kinda compromise was reached and Borders went in...I just can't believe Helen Shriller would have tried to lure Borders...

Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 PM

829 posts, read 2,089,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mess View Post
Yes but that depends on the dermographics of the new residents. If they're low income then...yeah you know.

I feel the biggest problem for the Lincoln area is that the stores are outdated and not popular anymore. I bet if Hollister and Aeropostale were both in Lincoln Mall that place would easily be along the lines of Orland Square in terms of shoppers. River Oaks is somewhat in the same boat, but it is known as the poor, trashy, ghetto mall. Some people go so far as to call it "N*gga Oaks". That place REALLY needs to do something about the kids ages 12+ from the nearby apartments that run around the mall unsupervised. The advantage that Lincoln has over RO is being located in a better suburb/area that doesn't have all of these issues.

Most of the population growth in matteson came from new single family homes being built. As for river oaks, I have never had a problem with anyone while shopping there. I happen to enjoy shopping in places that have other african american shoppers or a racially mixed crowd as opposed to a mostly all white crowd such as orland. I guess it all comes down to what you personally feel comfortable with.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge31 View Post
I think Borders wanted in but Helen Shriller didn't want it...some kinda compromise was reached and Borders went in...I just can't believe Helen Shriller would have tried to lure Borders...
That doesn't sound right... the Uptown Borders isn't in Helen Shiller's ward. It's in the 48th ward (Mary Ann Smith).

Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM

69 posts, read 231,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Don't forget about the Borders in Hyde Park. It's closing too.
I know the Borders in Highland Park close but is the Deerfield location closing too? If they could not survive on the North Shore where will they continue to conduct business? Demographically the North Shore should be an ideal location: affluent & educated.

SK

Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 PM

61 posts, read 85,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
That doesn't sound right... the Uptown Borders isn't in Helen Shiller's ward. It's in the 48th ward (Mary Ann Smith).
Pretty sure Borders is in the 46th Ward...Helen Shrillers old ward...

Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
good, I was boycotting borders anyway. I purchased a book there not too long ago that was a gift for somebody, on my credit card, and with their label, still mint! Would not even let me exchange it.
How do they expect to stay in business with somebody like amazon AND have poor customer service?
Maybe some more neighborhood specialty shops, w/ good customer service, instead of some Truman college wanker eating his boogers will be working up front.
I've had much, much better experience with Barnes and Noble, as far as big corp bookstores go.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge31 View Post
Pretty sure Borders is in the 46th Ward...Helen Shrillers old ward...
Nope. At Broadway the northern border of the 46th ward is at Leland Avenue. Borders is just north of there.

Along Broadway, you can really see the difference between the two wards as soon as you cross from one into the other. The area around Broadway and Lawrence used to look like crap, but has undergone a pretty impressive transformation in the past seven or eight years or so. The area just south of Leland, around Broadway and Wilson, still looks like crap. Two different wards, two different aldermen.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,340,776 times
Quote:
You're one of those emotionless shoppers excited about the discount and not even caring the place is going out of business. You can't even get a drink in the cafe anymore and books weren't put away and were scattered everywhere. It was a terrible sight and it pissed me off that people had no respect.
Aren't you one of those that go there, read things, and don't buy printed materials? You have a lot of nerve talking about someone that actually buys things in bookstores kiddo.

Quote:
And because not enough people buy books at Borders. People might buy something from the cafe and read a book in the cafe but we don't buy it.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Oh come on now. Let's not turn border's bookstore filing chapter 11 into another opportunity to bash the far southern suburbs.
Many of your posts scream out and beg for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs