Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

^Nice ad

I especially like the dig at neighboring towns...

Really classy.

Did you learn that tactic while your were selling Chevies and warning buyers about "how Toyota ain't what it used to be" or when you were selling Toyotas and warning buyers how the "US car makers are better'n they used to be but'll nev'r come close to quality we got"....

The low prices of areas out on the fringes are generally not a slam dunk -- with gas prices climbing and time away from family being something that no amount of "saving" can replace that alone is a huge factor in our region where employment is heavily focused in the Loop and a handful of suburbs. Further the lack of commercial developments in fringe areas genrally burdens home owners who choose to live out there with enormous property tax bills.

While I can appreciate that for some folks there are valid reason to live further out I cannot stomach any underhanded tactics of poorly trained salespeople in denigrating superior competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
At $650K you should have a pretty good run of the newer subdivisions in Chicagoland, but most are pretty far from the Loop. If you want to be closer to the Loop or in an older community, you could look in to tear downs or fully rehabbed older houses. Both are quite common in suburbs with higher real estate values. Ether way, $650,000 will go pretty far in all but a few of the most expensive suburbs.

Bottom line: Yes, new subdivisions exist in Chicagoland, mostly on the fringe of suburbia. But there are other options for people who don't want a fixer upper and have the housing budget--including rehabs and new construction to replace a tear down.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
^^And Plainfield is so inexpensive because of its location. Meaning if you work, and feel confident you will ALWAYS work nearby then it's OK. If you work downtown or similar distance, you need to have your head examined.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 AM

72 posts, read 92,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
Naperville is a very desireable area with top schools and a great downtown that has a riverwalk, tons of shops and restaurants.
This caught my attention.... Possible relocation from New England to work in Schaumburg. What other communities slightly north/south or west of Schaumburg have this type of downtown description? We love to eat, walk, entertain in nice little downtown area.

Once we find this..... we can look for the rest of the house description. thanks......

Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Default Many towns in the region that have a focus on their traditional "rail centric"'cores would fit the bill...

There are many towns along the popular commuter rail lines that have very vibrant, walkable downtown cores. Among the nicest such town is Naperville along the BNSF, towns near to Chicago that have a similar focus include Downers Grove and Lagrange along the same line. Towns like Hinsdale, Western Springs, Clarendon Hills, Berwyn, Brookfield and Riverside all share similar characteristics to varying degrees.

The other rail lines that include the UP-W, NW and N lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue8 View Post
This caught my attention.... Possible relocation from New England to work in Schaumburg. What other communities slightly north/south or west of Schaumburg have this type of downtown description? We love to eat, walk, entertain in nice little downtown area.

Once we find this..... we can look for the rest of the house description. thanks......

Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue8 View Post

Close to Schaumburg? Arlington Heights fits your description.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Close to Schaumburg? Arlington Heights fits your description.
Yeah, Arlington Heights is definitely your best bet near Schaumburg. Or perhaps Barrington if your budget allows it.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM

I think Barrington "in town" is a terriffic value -- might actually be "more house for the money" than any other town in the area' Distance to Chicago is not as good as Park Ridge but overall value is first rate.

If you don't have a big budget I would also consider the core of Palatine which is a very easy commute to Schaumbur via secondary roads...

Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 14,066 times
Default Huh?

My post was not supposed to be an ad!

Being new to the forum, I thought that I would give a comprehensive answer to the question of NEW Subdivisions and my family's experience in Grande Park.

For the record, my house is NOT for sale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs