Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:51 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times

Advertisements

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but check out Lake Geneva Wisconsin. It's only about 20 miles from Harvard, is a very active area in both summer and winter, a lot of young people, (college is there) and has some beautiful areas ( for the Midwest anyway) it might not be a bad option while you are settling in.i certainly would like it better then living in Harvard,or commuting over an hour each way by train.
My daughter lives in LA, and I agree, you are in for a different experience, but will be delighted what kind of bang for the buck you get in housing/rentals compared to LA.
If you are set on Illinois suburbs commute to Harvard , I would agree with Arlington Heights for your age as being a better option then other burbs mentioned
Good luck to you and hope it's an excellent adventure.

Last edited by nanannie; 09-27-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:46 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,451,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but check out Lake Geneva Wisconsin.
I wouldn't advise Lake Geneva for the OP. That's where I actually spent the majority of my time working for Mercy Health. Close to Harvard? Yes. Beautiful? Yes. But that's where it ends as far as what he's seeking. LG is mostly a summertime vacation/tourist spot, and is known for being the outdoorsy, getaway playground for Chicago and Milwaukee. Again, very nice little downtown area, but geared much more toward the established/well off crowd rather than younger folks. No train service to Chicago (there used to be one that ran up there to Williams Bay I think) and every bit of 75 to 80 miles from the Loop. Not to mention things really shut down up there during the cold months unless you're into winter sports/activities (I'm sorry, I worked there for a year and could hardly describe LG as "very active" during winter from what I saw). I can't see a 23 year old single person moving to a spot like LG unless they're either an avid outdoorsman - looking for a very tranquil setting away from the hustle and bustle - a total loner.....or all of the above. The commute from Harvard to LG isn't long, but it's extremely rural.....I'm talkin' Hee Haw rural - not that there's anything wrong with that because I happen to love that kind of landscape as much as I do the city, but based on the OP's first post I don't think that's what they're seeking at all.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 09-27-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 11,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I wouldn't advise Lake Geneva for the OP. That's where I actually spent the majority of my time working for Mercy Health. Close to Harvard? Yes. Beautiful? Yes. But that's where it ends as far as what he's seeking. LG is mostly a summertime vacation/tourist spot, and is known for being the outdoorsy, getaway playground for Chicago and Milwaukee. Again, very nice little downtown area, but geared much more toward the established/well off crowd rather than younger folks. No train service to Chicago (there used to be one that ran up there to Williams Bay I think) and every bit of 75 to 80 miles from the Loop. Not to mention things really shut down up there during the cold months unless you're into winter sports/activities (I'm sorry, I worked there for a year and could hardly describe LG as "very active" during winter from what I saw). I can't see a 23 year old single person moving to a spot like LG unless they're either an avid outdoorsman - looking for a very tranquil setting away from the hustle and bustle - a total loner.....or all of the above. The commute from Harvard to LG isn't long, but it's extremely rural.....I'm talkin' Hee Haw rural - not that there's anything wrong with that because I happen to love that kind of landscape as much as I do the city, but based on the OP's first post I don't think that's what they're seeking at all.
Yeah, that doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I'm more interested in the Chicago area because of these reasons: I have a friend there, it's ethnically diverse, it's a theater town, beautiful, exciting, etc. I grew up in a small town within the Bay Area, Oakland was 20 mins away and San Francisco was about an 1hr away by bus, and I'm good with that kind of situation. I don't want to feel isolated (within reason) from the big city.

Also, how affordable is the Metra? Could I buy a pass that couldb get me to Harvard and Chicago from Arlington Heights?

And I've been to Chicago once for a week, I loved it, but was warned about the weather. Now LA has great weather and I hate it. But I am a little concerned I don't really have the full idea of what I'm in for. How do you guys handle the weather? Is it ever depressing? Or is it something easily overlooked because Chicago is fabulous?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:12 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
AH would be the best option for you. Unfortunately, it will still be lame suburbia. Depending where your work location is exactly, you might want to consider reverse commuting from the west loop and take the UPNW and bring your bike to get to work from the station.

Unless you are the boss and can get to work whenever, reverse commutes to Harvard do NOT work. Besides, with all of the stops, you are probably talking a 90 minute commute each way.

Ever try riding a bike in Harvard ... most of the year??

==================================

By the way, METRA Rail is NOT cheap. Arlington Heights to Harvard would be $7.50 OW and you can expect frequent and substantial fare increases.

If you are going to work in Harvard, I see three options.

1) Live in Harvard or Marengo. Those towns have the most affordable housing and your commute is shortest.

2) Live in Woodstock. Housing is a bit higher but there is a bit more of a town. That is a nine mile drive.

3) Live in Crystal Lake which is a much larger town and has much more commerce.

Or you could live in Wisconsin ...

For the record, I lived in Woodstock for 15 years and commuted to Crystal Lake for work six days a week. When I started in 2000, I could make the trip down US-14 in about 17 minutes. By 2014, the county added SIX stop lights along my route and the same commute took 25-30 minutes.

No one has mentioned snow. When a storm strikes the area, mostly January - March, that 25-30 minute drive could take 1-2 hours, no kidding. And that is despite the fact that ILDOT snow removal is pretty good. The roads around Harvard, IL are all rural (except US-14) and take longer to be cleared.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 09-28-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM

120 posts, read 298,996 times
I'd suggest the opposite (and I travel through harvard on a regular basis along with all the other towns mentioned here). Live in Harvard (dirt cheap, not much going on but your working M-f right?) and then travel via the train or car to the city/locations when you want. You'll save a bunch of money and have a 5-10 minute commute 5 days a week, and a 3 hour round trip to the loop during the weekends.

Live in harvard for a year and in the meantime see which suburbs you like the most and then get a new rental next year. The area is great if your into a very rural setting but there is not much to do for younger people unless you setup stuff. Harvard/Marengo/Fontanna/Lake Geneva/Crystal lake are not hotspots for young people (unless driving to buffalo wildwings or the bar are considered hotspots). They are great cheaper areas to raise a family but don't have a bunch of fun cheap activities to do for young people.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog49 View Post
I'd suggest the opposite (and I travel through harvard on a regular basis along with all the other towns mentioned here). Live in Harvard (dirt cheap, not much going on but your working M-f right?) and then travel via the train or car to the city/locations when you want. You'll save a bunch of money and have a 5-10 minute commute 5 days a week, and a 3 hour round trip to the loop during the weekends.

Live in harvard for a year and in the meantime see which suburbs you like the most and then get a new rental next year. The area is great if your into a very rural setting but there is not much to do for younger people unless you setup stuff. Harvard/Marengo/Fontanna/Lake Geneva/Crystal lake are not hotspots for young people (unless driving to buffalo wildwings or the bar are considered hotspots). They are great cheaper areas to raise a family but don't have a bunch of fun cheap activities to do for young people.

Agreed.

If you find a cheap place in Harvard, you will save enough from commuting that you'll be able to find a good Priceline deal in the Loop or North Michigan Ave. area and spend a weekend a month in the city.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 5,360 times
Arlington Heights would be great. I grew up in the area and the downtown area is good place to hang out. Metropolis is also there since you like theater. Lots of shopping, foodie type restaurants, bars...a cool piano bar, if you're into that. You would be close to the train and there are some swanky rentals in the area. Palatine by the train is also good...similar vibe but smaller.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:35 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,729,725 times
I'm thinking that you live in or near Harvard during the week, to minimize your commute (especially if the vast majority of your day is spent working, and coming home at night you're mostly just having some dinner, watching television or reading, and then going to bed), and going to Chicago on the weekends. There's just no good spot out that way for a young, single twenty something. Eons ago, my husband and I (when we were about your age) ended up living in an apartment in Palatine, because we just could not afford the city. Palatine is a fine place, and a great place for a family to live. It's right next to Arlington Heights, and yes, places like Palatine, AH, Schaumburg (with the mall and lots of restaurants), and even Crystal Lake have a whole lot more than Harvard, I don't think they have enough of the excitement you'll want living there by yourself, as it still won't be all that easy to meet other young, single people. I mean, yes, they would be better than Harvard, but given that you really want Chicago, I don't think they're close enough to what you want to justify the extra commute you'll have every day. (And you'll probably be able to get a place even cheaper out near Harvard.)

I hate to say this, but I'd say if the job really looks like a good career move, take it, stick it out as long as you can, and hope you can find a new job in the next year or two in or near Chicago.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:55 PM

128 posts, read 233,449 times
Before you commit to using Metra for getting to Harvard, make sure to check the schedule on Metra's website. Harvard is the end of the UP-NW line. About 15 years ago, I lived in Fox River Grove and took Metra to work in Des Plaines. I remember from the schedule that most trains stopped in Crystal Lake and few went all the way to Harvard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs