Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,513 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have two questions for you, one especially geared toward the senior members. Is the subdivision of Loch Lomond a good area? There is a house there that I'm going to go see soon.

Second, where do all you informed people get your information, i.e.:

Theres some areas in the downtown area that are not really too desirable. Same for the southside of Mundelein. Your best bet is west of Route 45 and north of Division st. ,all the way north to Winchester rd. Property taxes are out of sight in Mundelein which is why i moved to Lake Villa unincorporated and got ALOT more value in a home , half an acre, and almost half the property taxes. Its only another 20 minutes up the road north.

Hi Chet. With a $4,000,000 Police Dept. built and Re-refurbishing the Downtown area....I suspect alot of current Mundelein residents are going to yell 'Uncle' and move out . I finally moved out in 2005 and wish I had left in 1993 right after my divorce. I suspect Mundelein is trying to make thier Village more like a Libertyville..but its never going to be a Libertyville or anything close. While i had some good times and memories of Mundelein, it was for the most part a big money sponge to live there.

Honestly, where do I look to get information on towns, etc.? I feel very fortunate to have come across this site but I would like to be able to do my own homework. I copied and pasted the above posts because they are examples of the information I would like to be able to find.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Business idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityheart View Post

Honestly, where do I look to get information on towns, etc.? I feel very fortunate to have come across this site but I would like to be able to do my own homework. I copied and pasted the above posts because they are examples of the information I would like to be able to find.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I bet that if City-data had some sales people that could TALK to the owners of various suburban papers they could advertise links to the papers. That would be good for CURRENT local info, but even better would be a well indexed archive of all these local development /tax issues so that people's eye's would not bug out when they found out the costs of either "keeping up with the next town" OR deciding not too

Old 07-20-2008, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 25,423 times
Mundelein is OK, I lived there for 10 years. Anything south of Diamond Lake Road I would stay away from, as the previous poster stated, it's pretty well gang infested. Diamond Lake itself is an interesting transition point, with million dollar homes on the north side & a somewhat seedy restaurant area to the south, with a trailer park near the west coast

Lake St. going north from Allanson/Diamond Lake Rd. was getting worse & worse when I moved from there a few years ago, and that's too bad, because it's a nice area...and you can't beat peanut palace Bill's Pizza.

Downtown Mundelein is pretty ho-hum, not much there really. It's good to know they plan on doing something with it, finally. I do miss that old hardware store where the owner yelled at the customers (never could figure that out), and the butcher shop next door on the north side of downtown. Those are probably gone, as well that great shoe store next to the roller rink.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,840 times
This is not a reply but I can't navigate yet to this forum. New to me. I want some info on train service from Midway Airport to Downers Grove on the Aurora line. Can you post it for me or let me know how. [email]cvgal3@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,041 times
I'm a Mundelein High grad (2004) and I am not proud to say I went to Mundelein High School. There were a lot of gangs, drugs, and other problems that are usually associated with low income areas. Funny thing was, Mundelein was not one of those kind of towns, but it is starting to be one. The 25% Mexican population took a huge chunk out of the school's budget to teach them in Spanish. Many gang fights between the Mexicans, and there was one event where there was a knife fight in the hallway closest to Hawley street. This activity no doubt spreads to the rest of the community when these gang bangers drop out.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,063 times
I left Mundelein in 2004 for retirement in Florida, after having living there, on-and-off, for some 27 years. In the years since, when I revisited it a few times, the place seemed run down and drab. In the 1960s, Mundelein was semi-rural, and so dull that we used to joke, "It's a good place to be from." In later years, the farmers' fields surrounding the town center changed into subdivisions full of new houses. It is a sad fact that parts of Mundelein (including Mundelein High School, which is a zoo, alas) now are seeing increased gang activity, although Mundelein has an excellent police department, with many anti-gang efforts pioneered by then Chief Rose, a respected leader in Illinois law enforcement, but now retired. East-west traffic in the area is very slow during rush-hour times. Mundelein is not far from the North Shore, which has excellent shopping and cultural activities, and there is good shopping also in nearby Vernon Hills, just to the east. Northern Lake County is a nice place to live, with all its greenery and open space (though that has diminished with increased population), plus it is not that far from Lake Michigan. Other areas in northern Lake County are very bad, such as downtown Waukegan, which is a crime-ridden, run-down, desolate moonscape. I expect that, in the decades ahead, the line of gentrification will eventually travel north to Waukegan, and such bad areas will be reborn eventually. If you have kids, I would not put them in Mundelein public schools (I am an MHS grad), which are burdened by the chaotic social and instructional atmosphere that unavoidably accompanies students coming from deprived demographics. Mundelein, however, does have a good Catholic H.S., Carmel High School. And, with all the housing developments, property taxes have risen sky high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs