Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,107 times

Advertisements

Refade I would say there are no accidents . I am so happy that these things are all falling into place. Good luck and if I can be of any further help, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 PM

73 posts, read 201,426 times
I don't know if this is something you have looked into(probably not as the baby wont be due for awhile) but many hospitals have birthing classes for young parents and it is a great way to meet other young moms in the area. I am personally studyign to be a doula(labor support for mom and family) and looking for a job as a nursing assistant in labor and delivery, so I know about some of the options open to her if you have any questions.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Samma - that is so funny - I PM'd Refrade about Duola's - maybe you could say more about it. Studies have shown that Duola's can recude the need for c-sections and use of drugs during delivery.

See- no accidents!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 PM

This is very true, Doulas also can help prevent postpartum depression which teen moms are at a greater risk for. I know not everyone thinks doulas are as wonderful as I do but I have never heard of anyone who had a trained doula and regreted it. We can't work magic and we can't make birth painless, but we can help a family get the most enjoyment from the birth and walk away happy with their experience and look back on it and smile, instead of looking back in horor, which sadly a lot of women tend to do.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 AM

With the way healthcare is today I would absolutely recommend and use a doula if my insurance covered it. They are a huge asset to the birth experience. The pre-birth services are wonderful too.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 AM

For anyone looking you can get a doula VERY cheap if you get a doula in training. I took my class and have been working on all my requirements and the last one is the births(3-4 depending on what program you are in) so many women will only charge their gas fees and hospital parking(thats what I do) when they are first starting out. It's a great trade off. Yes, you will get a doula who has had a little less experience, but we all have to start somewhere and you dont have to pay the $100's of dollars.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM

I didn't realize that. Where are you planning to work once you complete your training?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 PM

Being a doula would be my side job, I am tryign to get a job as a L&D nursing assiatnt as I work my way to being a midwife, pregnancy, birth and babies are my passion.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 AM

31 posts, read 126,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by refade View Post
Thank you - but People will think what they want to think. I know that this is a trial for my family and I know we will get through it. A baby can only be a blessing and if people want to think otherwise than, well that's sad.
I'm still looking for a good OB/GYN who see's things your way and not theirs. And I can't believe they are that hard to find. I contacted the number given to me by JericoHW and that organization doesn't even recommend doctors. ( but thank you JericoHW for your suggestion. )So how do these kids in this kind of situation find help on there own, much less with the help of family and friends?
most females set up appointments with doctors/nurses/obgyns in hospitals or whatever on their own or go to the nearest Planned Parenthoods or places similar to them!

then some of then are already on welfare and use medical cards and then there's the others who apply for WIC and Medicaid and the like if they're eligible because some hospitals like in Elgin, Illinois at Sherman Hosp. have to take you in even if you dont have insurance or anything!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 AM

125 posts, read 380,938 times
That's true. But when those places - like in my case - lead the girl to bad doctors or places that treat them poorly, these girls aren't getting the real help they need. I've been lucky, through this forum, I have found a lot of people I don't even know that are so willing to give me information and knowledge to help my daughter. So, I really think we'll be okay. We're hoping now for a happy and healthy pregnancy that leads to a happy and healthy baby. I'll keep you all informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs