Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 70,225 times

Advertisements

North Chicago's nickname is NoGo... that tells you right there. Waukegan actually has major grocery stores, Walgreens, and commercial development. Commercial development is at a HALT in North Chicago. There isn't ANY.

There are still good neighborhoods in Waukegan... I swear you wouldn't even think you were in the horrid city that people describe it as.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 32,391 times
I have lived in the Zion area for the last 6 years, and have never felt like it was an unsafe city. Like all cities (yep that includes Gurnee, Grayslake, ect) it has it's problem with crime from time to time. It in no way can compare to North Chicago, or even Waukegan for that matter (though I don't really feel Waukegan is that bad) I would recommend Beach Park or Winthrop Harbor, based on the fact you have children. The primary schools in Zion aren't very good. Beach Park and Winthrop Harbor both have strong school systems. Pleasant Prairie Wisconsin is also very nice. The western cities and villages of Lake County are nice also, but a lot more people moving about, and higher taxes and home prices. I also wouldn't consider Gurnee or Grayslake very diverse, unless you are talking about the all of the shops, strip malls, and restaurants. I drive everyday from Beach Park to Highwood (passing Great Lakes) via Sheridan Road, which is a 40 minute drive on a good day during normal rush hour times of 6-7am and 4-5pm. The base is about 15 minutes shorter. BTW- There are brand new houses being built on the far west side of Zion, almost in Wadsworth, that are within your price range.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,052 times
Hey i have one question, my boyfriend is in A school now in Great lakes and i am just hoping that someone will be able to answer one question. We were talking about getting married and us liveing together. Now does anyone know if they have on base housing for married people. I would greatly appreciate if i could get responses back.

Thank you Jessica

Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 PM

65 posts, read 292,489 times
Hello Jessica--I was recently chatting with a person who just transferred to where I am from Great Lakes and she lived in base housing with her husband. However--she said that particular housing area was not adequately protected from gang/crime activity; cars were regularly stolen on her street and someone tried to break into her house while she was in the shower...! Just one anecdote from a person I don't know well, but while there seems to be housing for married recruits/sailors, you might want to do your homework before you plan on moving there.

Might not hurt to just give them a call...

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/GreatLakes...sing/index.htm

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:24 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misconceptions View Post

Of course Waukegan does have some problems due to it being a bit urban, but there is a plan and there are a lot of dedicated citizens who are trying to help make Waukegan better.

Waukegan IS scary. Don't put a sheep's hide on that wolf! Might have "some problems due it being a bit urban"... LoL... It's called ghetto culture. Mexicans, Blacks and a few whites adhere to it, but this is not positive diversity, that culture is the epitome of negativity. Waukegan, being the county seat, attracts those who want handouts (gov't jobs) as well as those who need to be close to the Lake County's public services; ie, jails, public works depts., etc. Not a good place (Waukegan) and there's no hope in sight.

Having lived "in the area" for 20 years, and I would recommend Libertyville, it has A+++ schools that are diverse enough, and there would be no problem finding a house for $250,000, especially in todays market. Try finding a home in North Libertyville, it is a newer area and would make the 5 mile hop to the Navy base seem even shorter. It would be about a 20 minute drive to work each way.

Good Luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 PM

694 posts, read 2,017,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Waukegan IS scary. Don't put a sheep's hide on that wolf! Might have "some problems due it being a bit urban"... LoL... It's called ghetto culture. Mexicans, Blacks and a few whites adhere to it, but this is not positive diversity, that culture is the epitome of negativity. Waukegan, being the county seat, attracts those who want handouts (gov't jobs) as well as those who need to be close to the Lake County's public services; ie, jails, public works depts., etc. Not a good place (Waukegan) and there's no hope in sight.

Having lived "in the area" for 20 years, and I would recommend Libertyville, it has A+++ schools that are diverse enough, and there would be no problem finding a house for $250,000, especially in todays market. Try finding a home in North Libertyville, it is a newer area and would make the 5 mile hop to the Navy base seem even shorter. It would be about a 20 minute drive to work each way.

Good Luck!

"Good Luck"? Why are you responding to a post over a year old? I'm sure they have already made their move.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:49 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
"Good Luck"? Why are you responding to a post over a year old? I'm sure they have already made their move.
I didn't see that

Old 01-22-2009, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,761 times
Can we start this discussion up again? We are a military family who are going to be stationed at great lakes. I really don't care whether the neighborhood is diverse or not, I'm looking for safe. I thought for sure base housing was safe, I have never once felt unsafe on a military base, but after reading the earlier comment I am more than alarmed. Are there any safe places to live up there? We want to rent. We want to be able to have a Harley without the neighbors getting pissed everytime we start it. I want my caucasion kids to go to a school where they are not the minority and picked on for being white. I would perfer to live near base but have heard that south wisconsin is more reasonable. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 PM

85 posts, read 95,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenboats View Post
Can we start this discussion up again? We are a military family who are going to be stationed at great lakes. I really don't care whether the neighborhood is diverse or not, I'm looking for safe. I thought for sure base housing was safe, I have never once felt unsafe on a military base, but after reading the earlier comment I am more than alarmed. Are there any safe places to live up there? We want to rent. We want to be able to have a Harley without the neighbors getting pissed everytime we start it. I want my caucasion kids to go to a school where they are not the minority and picked on for being white. I would perfer to live near base but have heard that south wisconsin is more reasonable. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I would suggest Gurnee. Great schools, safe area and a short commute. I may be looking for a renter (3br, 2.5ba, fenced yard) for my home and/or willing to do a lease to own or under market price sale. Shoot me a message if you are interested.

-John

Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 AM

694 posts, read 2,017,216 times
I agree with Gurnee. Remember, only the immediate 5 mile area around Great Lakes itself is bad news. Once you are out of that area, for the most part, you are living among very affluent people with high incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs