Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
I agree with Gurnee. Remember, only the immediate 5 mile area around Great Lakes itself is bad news. Once you are out of that area, for the most part, you are living among very affluent people with high incomes.
And given that the person who re-opened this thread said he was looking for some place "more reasonable," I think this is something he's also looking to avoid. Pleasant Prairie fits the bill, but yeah, that's somewhat of a haul from the base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 11,759 times
Thanks for the info guys! John if we decide to move up there we will send you an email about your rentals. I have to tell ya though, the winter you guys are having is scaring me off.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 22,271 times
Default South Wisconsin is a great place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenboats View Post
Can we start this discussion up again? We are a military family who are going to be stationed at great lakes. I really don't care whether the neighborhood is diverse or not, I'm looking for safe. I thought for sure base housing was safe, I have never once felt unsafe on a military base, but after reading the earlier comment I am more than alarmed. Are there any safe places to live up there? We want to rent. We want to be able to have a Harley without the neighbors getting pissed everytime we start it. I want my caucasion kids to go to a school where they are not the minority and picked on for being white. I would perfer to live near base but have heard that south wisconsin is more reasonable. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I live in South Wisconsin, Kenosha, and it is a very safe place to live. The area that I am in is only minutes from I-94 for easy commute. The new school, Nash Elementary School, is one of the best in Kenosha. I have asked almost each kid in my area and each of them said many nice words about this school. I also heard nice words about the middle school and high school around. There are houses for rent, for sale, and for rent to buy. My neighbor also has a Harley, and nobody ever had any problem with it when they started it. The area that I am in is very family friendly and kids friendly.

If you need a safe place to live and a good school area for your kids, please come to Kenosha. It is a smart decision for parents.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Default Kenosha is a good place to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurlondamove View Post
Yes, we'll be at Great Lakes, but because we lack a marriage certificate, we are not authorized base housing. That's quite alright.
Thanks for your reply and help. I've been looking at Gurnee a bit. I'm actually from Ohio and have lived in the East Cleveland suburbs, so I understand the weather, but the rest of the family will be in total shock!
I'm hoping to take a trip next month and do some house-hunting so I can get a feel for things. There's some new construction I may check out in Kenosha, any idea what it's like up there? The city web page speaks of making attempts at diversity...must mean it's still pretty far from it. We're more concerned with good schools and good people. Somewhere that's open-minded works for us. Thanks for the information.
I live in Kenosha and can tell you that it is a great place to live. It is not far from the base at all. There are also houses that are just a few years old for you to buy with a resonable price. I know it is not easy to adjust to a new place. Please let me know if you need more information about Kenosha. Many of my neighbors are from the Great Lakes base, and many work in Gurnee and Waukegan. Kenosha is a very nice and safe place to live, great schools, too. Best luck.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 AM

3 posts, read 11,759 times
I have also heard good things about Kenosha. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM

It is true that Kenosha is a better choice. Actually, some of my friends have rented houses for the military families in Great Lakes. They are nice families. Let me know if I can help you with any information about Kenosha.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 40,146 times
We are a military family as well and have been here at Great Lakes Base for the past three years. We are getting ready to sell our house. We have 3 boys (16,10, and 7) who have had no problems adjusting to the school system. We live in Zion right off of Greenbay and 173. We are close to everything. We came from Japan so adjustment for us was tough. we had to get used to the states again. The schools here were great and very understanding. We have a neighboorhood full of military families with and without kids some retired some still active duty. Rest of neighbors are great as well. Schools have a diverse population but our boys have never been picked on and have gotten along well with everyone. If you would like more info about this area let me know. Moving is never easy but I do kinda like the cleaning out of the house every three years before the packers come! It's the military wife's version of throughly Spring cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs