Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 75,992 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We(My husband and I) are new to chicago and we am looking to buy a home in Bloomingdale, IL(in BLOOMFIELD CLUB). The homes here are built around 1990. We are considering between Bloomingdale(home built in 1990 with a price between $400k and $450K) and Lisle(condo built around 2005 which costs about the same and is of the same size). However the condo has tons of upgrades.

Please let me know about both the areas. Which is a better area and which property will be good. Also, is a newer condo better than a older house or is it the other way round. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 AM

358 posts, read 847,636 times
Wow, good comparison. They are both strikingly similar in size and demographics. I'd say Lisle has a bit better access to highways and is surrounded by slightly better towns. For me though, I'd never take a condo over a house...but that's just me.
As far as that goes, obviously you have more upkeep with a home, but you get a yard, privacy. etc. That's lifestyle that you have to decide.
I don't think you lose either way, but I'd take the house in Bloomy, if only because it's a house.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Also, you need to consider where you'll be working. The area is so large that I would probably go with whichever is closest to work. Of course, I can't stand a commute longer than 30 minutes, your tolerance may vary.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,042 times
Hi donna. I live in Bloomingdale, and althugh I don't really know anything about Lisle, I'd be happy to tell you a little about B'dale. The town is split up between two different school districts, 93 and 13. By living in Bloomfield Club you'd be in 13, which is the better of the two. The crime here is very low, especially considering who our neighbors are. There is a good park district in place along with two forest preserves. We have Stratford Square Mall, (which is currently under renovation (It really needs it!)) Army Trail and Gary, which combined have pretty much anything you'd ever need. I don't know where you'll be working, but Bloomingdale is only about 25 minutes from downtown.

I am proud to say that I live in a neighborhood of all different backgrounds, of many cultures and religions, and that everyone keeps to themself (not in a bad way) and are very friendly. The houses are kept up well, and I don't have to worry about getting hurt if I take a walk at night.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:22 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
>>but Bloomingdale is only about 25 minutes from downtown.

that commute would be in the middle of the night with no traffic.
at rush hour ... muuuuch longer.

I pretty much agree with Chummy. I'd take the house in Bloomingdale Club. I remember when those were being built.... nice lookin' homes.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,293 times
In my opinion bloomingdale is a much better place.
All stores are close by, good schools, highways not far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs