Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

What I find most striking about Adventures in Babysitting is just what a pit much of downtown was in the 80s. I mean, I remember it being that way, but over the years it has become more of an abstraction. Seeing movies filmed in much of Chicago in the 80s makes that abstraction more concrete and highlights just how much cleanup has happened in huge swaths of the city. I saw about the first 20 minutes of some early 80s Chuck Norris movie where the opening scenes are filmed in the Wrigleyville/Buena Park area right around the Sheridan station and the neighborhood looked like Dresden circa 1945. I remember when going to Cubs games was a matter of getting in, watching the game, and getting the hell out. Times, they change.

Last edited by Drover; 12-30-2009 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
...I saw about the first 20 minutes of some early 80s Chuck Norris movie where the opening scenes...around the Sheridan station and the neighborhood looked like Dresden circa 1945...
What is the name of the movie?

Btw-parts of the area still do.

The NE and SE corner of Irving and Sheridan come to mind right away.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What is the name of the movie?

Btw-parts of the area still do.

The NE and SE corner of Irving and Sheridan come to mind right away.
VERY small parts of the area still do, but you've certainly been around long enough to remember when the whole area looked like Kabul. Memories fade, but movies like this one bring some of them back...

Code of Silence (1985)

It was very easy for filmmakers to make urban settings look practically post-apocalyptic in the mid-70s through the mid-late 80s. All they had to do was find the right place and set up their cameras. And finding the right place wasn't that hard.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
... Memories fade, but movies like this one bring some of them back...

Code of Silence (1985)...
Good stuff. I can't wait to watch it. I may have seen it years ago,but more than likely I will not remember much about the movie even while watching it again.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:54 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Not the best or most well known of movies, but these are unmistakenly Chicago and really give a good feel for the city in a gritty sort of way.

Next of Kin (1989)

Gladiator (1992)

Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stredman View Post
Are you thinking of the Firehouse Bar and Grill on Chicago Ave in Evanston?
No, he's not. He's thinking of a building that was used for exterior shots for the guy's bar, which is in River North on Illinois 1 lot east from Franklin. The building is actually used as a storehouse for a decorator or something like that.

Streetview of it

Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 AM

44 posts, read 122,598 times
Thanks to this thread, I searched for Early Edition online (it used to be one of my absolute favorite shows!), and found somewhere where you can watch it for free! I'm 3/4 of the way through the second season already. :P

Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 AM

6 posts, read 25,794 times
Default It's not necissarily Chicago....

But large parts of Groundhog Day were filmed in Woodstock. I went to high school with the girl that Bill Murray kicks out of piano lessons.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito711 View Post
But large parts of Groundhog Day were filmed in Woodstock. I went to high school with the girl that Bill Murray kicks out of piano lessons.
Name-dropper.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 AM

134 posts, read 634,034 times
I have several movies and TV shows in mind that were filmed in Chicago.

Movies

Chicago (movie/musical) - Richard Gere; 1920s Style Chicago with flappers.

Never Been Kissed - Mostly filmed in L.A. but Drew Barrymore's job and office scenes were filmed in Chicago. Sun-Times readers were shot on Chicago Ave. stop on the CTA Brown Line.

Cheaper by the Dozen - Filmed in Evanston, IL when the family with 12 children moved there from Midland, Indiana for the father (Steve Martin) to take his dream job as a coach at fictional university being the home of the Stallions. My guess is Northwestern University but using Stallions not its mascot.

Sex Drive - A hormonal teenager from a surburb called Brookfield made a trip to Knoxville, TN in hope of hooking up with a major hottie he met on the Internet.

College Road Trip - Filmed in Evanston and nearby areas. The girl (Raven) decided to attend campus tours of Northwestern University and other college in D.C. Her overprotective father (Martin Lawrence)'s dream was for her to attend Northwestern; however, she chose the one in D.C.

Halloween movies - I know it's not in Chicago but they are well-known horror movies with murders occurring throughout fictional Haddonfield, IL.

Home Alone movies - I liked first two movies better. Kevin's two-stories brick house has to be in a wealthy surburb. I am curious if anyone know which one.

Poltergiest III - Filmed at John Hancock Building

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Uncle Buck

Tommy Boy

What Women Want

My Best Friend's Wedding

Save The Last Dance - It was a great movie. It was filmed in a ghetto somewhere in Chicago. My guess is in the South Side.

TV Shows

Married with Children - Crazy Bundy Family living in middle class neighborhood at 9764 Jeopardy Lane, Chicago, IL. I don't know if the address is fictional or not.

Still Standing - Working class couple with 3 children in Chicago. Since they are huge Chicago Cub fans, I am guessing they live somewhere in North/Northwest surburbs where there are many Irish since they participated in St. Patrick's Parade once.

Roseanne - Working class family living in fictional Lanford at 3rd and Delaware Streets. Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) hails from Edwardsville, IL herself. I was told that Lanford resembles Jacksonville, IL. I have been to that town and it doesn't seem like Lanford to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago