Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What size does it feel like
Second largest 143 63.56%
Third largerst 58 25.78%
Fourth largest 24 10.67%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 07:47 AM

636 posts, read 612,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
silversp, I see you just joined city-data.com. By chance, is your name on here for the group, Silver Sun Pickups? Because that's a pretty good group!

I've never been to Los Angeles. It sounds very Chicago-esque; in terms of the various types of neighborhoods. Weather sounds way better all year round.

Chicago gets a bad reputation for crime and the political issues. So a question I would pose for all those who CHOOSE to stay: despite the negative attention, feel free to share all the POSITIVE reasons why you stay! I'd rather hear that type of commentary. I've heard plenty of the negative commentary.
Architectural aesthetics aside, most of the residential neighborhoods of LA aren't too different from Chi's in terms of design (excluding areas like River North downtown).. Chicago and the midwest heavily influenced LA's early development...Hollywood was named after Hollywood Ave in Chicago, for instance. Many also don't realize there are huge swaths of Chicago zoned exclusively for single-family homes.The topography of LA is just much more varied and there are less residential high-rises.

I'd spent time in LA before I ever set foot in the Chi. The first time I did (outside O'Hare that is), I remember being a little struck by the similarities (again aesthetics aside).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 08:01 AM

4,656 posts, read 3,267,221 times
VA All Day, good morning. I had never heard Hollywood was named after Hollywood Avenue in Chicago! I am familiar with Hollywood Park. I've ridden my bicycle through there a few times... The only thing I knew about the connection of Hollywood and Chicago was that The Chicago Outfit, under Boss Frank Nitti (Nitto) moved into the extortion of film companies in Hollywood, once the repeal of Prohibition stopped the lucrative alcohol business for them.

What is it about Chicago that you did not like? There are a lot of very nice neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. that are technically in THE CITY, as well.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
VA All Day, good morning. I had never heard Hollywood was named after Hollywood Avenue in Chicago! I am familiar with Hollywood Park. I've ridden my bicycle through there a few times... The only thing I knew about the connection of Hollywood and Chicago was that The Chicago Outfit, under Boss Frank Nitti (Nitto) moved into the extortion of film companies in Hollywood, once the repeal of Prohibition stopped the lucrative alcohol business for them.

What is it about Chicago that you did not like? There are a lot of very nice neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. that are technically in THE CITY, as well.
Turns out I spoke too soon about the origin of the Hollywood name. To think I read that here on cd too...

Also not sure if that second question is to me but I actually love Chicago and had one of the best times of my life living there. No point getting into what I don't like about it since I love more than I hate or dislike.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:17 AM

VA All Day, when you said: I'd spend time in LA before I ever set foot in the Chi, I thought you meant: I WOULD (I'd) spend time in LA before I'd EVER set foot in the Chi.... Do you see how I made the mistake?

Well, the Hollywood version you had was still a GOOD version!

Old 02-06-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
VA All Day, when you said: I'd spend time in LA before I ever set foot in the Chi, I thought you meant: I WOULD (I'd) spend time in LA before I'd EVER set foot in the Chi.... Do you see how I made the mistake?

Well, the Hollywood version you had was still a GOOD version!
My bad..I meant to say spent. Time for another cup of coffee.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:55 AM

VA All Day, per city-data.com there's a relatively new Starbucks downtown
Did you see in a couple of my other posts that the Starbucks in the Skokie Barnes and Noble wrote "Carlos" on my cup? ... well my great grandfather, Carlos Duran, was one of the first Mexican settlers in Milwaukee. He was from Atlixco, Puebla, Mexico.. So, to be called Carlos, I'll take as an honor
So grab that coffee, my friend. I pretty much gave up regular coffee, soda, and beer in December.... So make it a super sized, amigo. Have some for The Master!

Old 02-06-2020, 11:09 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Turns out I spoke too soon about the origin of the Hollywood name. To think I read that here on cd too...

Also not sure if that second question is to me but I actually love Chicago and had one of the best times of my life living there. No point getting into what I don't like about it since I love more than I hate or dislike.
Chicago WAS the silent Film Capital First. Even more then NYC before the move to Hollywood. One big reason was more sun film needed then and year round. Filming outdoors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_film_industry

Film

Old 02-06-2020, 12:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,410,535 times
Lol I chuckle at the "fourth largest" option

Old 02-06-2020, 06:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Taking the CTA lines from the Loop/Downtown to the ends in each direction gives you a feeling of just how massive Chicago is. The view of the downtown core and endless miles of urban Chicago from all angles, definitely makes Chicago feel like the 3rd largest city.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEddy View Post
That's not right: Los Angeles puts 3.8m people in an urban area that is 469sq.mi for a density of 8,092/sq mi.

Chicago puts 2.7m people in an urban land area that is 227sq.mi for a density of 11,841/sq mi.

So Chicago proper puts 70%+ as much people in a land area that is HALF the size of LA proper.

Furthermore, "LA" is really just a big county: Los Angeles county, the most populous county, yes. LA county puts 9.8million people in a land area of over 10,500 square miles.

While Cook County is the 2nd most populous county, which puts 5.4 million people in a land area approx 2,4000 square miles. So Cook county has half the population of LA county in area that is roughly 1/5th the size.

LA feels more sprawling. Chicago feels more dense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
Your post is filled with so much misinformation that it's not worth the effort to correct you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago