Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What size does it feel like
Second largest 143 63.56%
Third largerst 58 25.78%
Fourth largest 24 10.67%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 45,535 times

Advertisements

durf how can you lie to yourself? Denying your problems is NOT the answer. I know it's hard but trust me...once you click the link and enter the program I promise you, you will not regret it! Crack Rehab Guide Then when you've kicked the crack you can talk sensibly about Chicago. I pity your cracked soul and pray for your speedy recovery. Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
lol durf has gone overboard. How can anyone argue that combination of neighborhoods such as Gold Coast / River North / West Loop / Lincoln Park / Lakeview (plus Wrigleyville) / Bucktown / Wicker Park, etc. don't have a ton of nightlife? Even in Manhattan the nightlife can be scattered among the island's various sections (ie. Chelsea, Meatpacking District, Hells Kitchen, Lower East Side, etc.). Come on man, give it a break.

Last edited by reppin_the_847; 04-11-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Certain posters cross the line from troll into the mentally disabled. This thread has one of those posters.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Then, they need to reduce the crime rate, clean up blighted neighborhoods, improve the transportation systems, not reducing it, and improve the self-esteem of the city.
Every city in America has these goals.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,685 times
Not to blow the topic up with images, but...

Quote:
Chitown, I don't need another LA wannebe with no real vibrant downtown. No crack there. I'm totally against drugs, and I hate them with a passion. I can't stand people on drugs, period! Chicago's downtown is full of them. I also don't need a city with a office park for a downtown. Go to Europe, Africa, Asia and South America, any you'll see true cities with true heart and their downtowns as fun gathering spots to watch street performances and juggling acts/ also paintings well into the nights daily. It sure doesn't sound like Chicago, huh?
Chicago

San Jose

Chicago

San Jose

Chicago

All Images From Wikimedia Commons

Notice the lack of drugs, office parks and a very urban, active Chicago. Not only that, but why compare Chicago to the appeal of many Asian, European, and African or South American cities in the same conversation that you present your problem with drugs, active urban cores and vibrancy? Clearly, you know nothing about the many overwhelmingly large issues plaguing cities on these continents as opposed to Chicago.

Chicago is in a league of its own.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Chitown, I don't need another LA wannebe with no real vibrant downtown. No crack there. I'm totally against drugs, and I hate them with a passion. I can't stand people on drugs, period! Chicago's downtown is full of them. I also don't need a city with a office park for a downtown. Go to Europe, Africa, Asia and South America, any you'll see true cities with true heart and their downtowns as fun gathering spots to watch street performances and juggling acts/ also paintings well into the nights daily. It sure doesn't sound like Chicago, huh?

The sad thing about this guy is that he really has nothing better to do with his time. At the same time its pretty amusing lol.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Just I as was leaving the post, you guys brought me back in. Chicago doesn't feel like a true urban center since its downtown is a lackluster where people just go and work and then take off! Not happy with its mediocre downtown. Chicago feels smaller than LA and NY. It's not any better than San Jose since San Jose has a nice downtown and Santana Row(it acts like a European Michigan Ave shopping district). I even prefer Boston and LA over Chicago. It doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to Chicagoans. They just want a comfortable city with different neighborhoods with cool people. Most Chicagoans are happy with the way it is. I still like that Gino's pizza even though I make better deep dish myself with Pillsbury dough, lots of Paul Newman tomato/basil souce and slices of cheese on the bottom.
durf,

do you know the way to San Jose?

Take it.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Can you please turn up your outdoor temperature? It's freezing in my computer terminal.
Sobering thought: while the air above us in Chicago may be freezing, the ground below us doesn't have a San Andreas Fault.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
In terms of contiguous walkable urban activity, yes, Chicago feels like the second largest city. LA is vast, with lots of little patches of activity separated by miles of parking lots, warehouses, and ranchburgers. San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, and DC (also Toronto and Montreal, for the sake of comparison) have good neighborhoods and contiguity, but I've walked clear across those cities in an afternoon.

Quote:
San Jose has a nice downtown
Just weeks ago, I walked two miles around downtown San Jose trying to find a place for lunch on a Sunday and came up with a few delis, one pizza place, and a churro stand. Fail. A single building in "mediocre" downtown Chicago could easily outdo that pitiful showing.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
I think durf has veered into the territory of being a verb. As in, when somebody gets too looney on here, we can say they've "durfed"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago