Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What size does it feel like
Second largest 143 63.56%
Third largerst 58 25.78%
Fourth largest 24 10.67%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 02:35 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Advertisements

I've never lived in Chicago but have traveled there a few times. I would say it FEELS like the second biggest city in the United States, NYC being number one. Los Angeles looks big on a map, but when you are there just feels like mostly small 1970s single family homes and strip malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 06:49 PM

410 posts, read 634,682 times
I voted 2nd largest years ago. I would say my perspective has changed a bit. Chicago may feel about as large if not larger than Los Angeles. But perhaps in a way, LA feels more cosmopolitan. Whether that makes a city feel larger or more worldly, I'm not sure yet!

Old 01-30-2020, 07:28 PM

381 posts, read 349,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I voted 2nd largest years ago. I would say my perspective has changed a bit. Chicago may feel about as large if not larger than Los Angeles. But perhaps in a way, LA feels more cosmopolitan. Whether that makes a city feel larger or more worldly, I'm not sure yet!
I think LA feels like a bunch of small towns that got connected.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Most commentators on this thread aren't being honest, IMO.

Anyone who has been to LA knows it's enormous and feels much bigger than Chicago. LA is a beast, twice the size of Chicago, and in some ways rivaling NYC and Mexico City in terms of vast, endless urbanity. Chicago is much, much smaller.

LA is like a North American version of Tokyo. A massive centerless, interconnected blob of endless medium-dense neighborhoods, but linked by freeways rather than rails.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:06 PM

410 posts, read 634,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Anyone who has been to LA knows it's enormous and feels much bigger than Chicago. LA is a beast, twice the size of Chicago, and in some ways rivaling NYC and Mexico City in terms of vast, endless urbanity. Chicago is much, much smaller.

LA is like a North American version of Tokyo. A massive centerless, interconnected blob of endless medium-dense neighborhoods, but linked by freeways rather than rails.
They might be dishonest. I personally think everyone has their own criteria so I wouldn't be surprised about differing opinions. Also this is the Chicago sub so there certainly will be bias.

Your assertion about Los Angeles is sort of how I feel about the city. I used to think Chicago felt significantly larger than LA. My opinion began to change after several long hours spent around Griffith Park. For me, they're still neck and neck. But that probably stems from my preference for density. A dense built out city makes things seem much larger with less IMO. Also, the freeway's are totally a contributing factor. There's always a constant stream of traffic while I-94/90 tends to clear out better after peak travel times.

Some examples of this are Taipei, or Montreal. Their urban areas are dwarfed by Chicago and especially by LA. But due to their urban layout are very competitive when I try to compare "size". Of course, it's all arbitrary and up to personal preference.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

LA is most certainly a beast. It definitely is -- and in most cases -- feels like America's second largest city. However, if we are being honest here, if anyone spent time in the central business district for *any* amount of time, they would leave with the very real impression that Chicago is by far a much more massive and vibrant city than LA. LA just seems small in comparison as far as the urban core goes. Not really a comparison. As far as metro though, LA is a beast, as you say. It just goes and goes and goes.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 802 times
I live in Chicago, and for me, it feels like the second biggest town. There are too many people, tourists, and the streets are overcrowded. But I love my city, and for me, it is the best place to live )

Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Of course. Even though this thread is old. KoNgFooCj seems interested in resurrecting old threads of Chicago on topics like this. But, Chicago absolutely feels like the 3rd largest cities. Massive downtown. The Loop is only one part of downtown.

River North, West Loop, and much of the Gold Coast (including a small slice of Old Town) are part of downtown. These are the more "social" downtown sections where you find lots of nightlife, dining, shopping, etc. I agree that most of the Loop can clear out at after business hours, but the other downtown neighborhoods are live and bustling. Then add onto that the endless numbers of neighborhoods (many of them almost setup as mini-cities with their own shopping/dining/nightlife spots) on the North Side, West Side, and South Side, and Chicago absolutely feels like the 3rd largest city!!!

But NYC feels larger. LA also feels much larger because of how spread out it is.
I actually think it looks *and feels like the 2nd Largest. Just that guy calling Philly "tiny" and over exaggerating his measurements is why I responded.

Sure, Philly is substantially smaller than Chicago, but I wouldn't say it's tiny compared to Chicago. I actually think in some parts Philly is even more urban, or at least more like New York, than Chicago.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:08 AM

4,656 posts, read 3,267,221 times
Good day, I have not yet had the opportunity to visit New York, nor Los Angeles. I have only been to San Francisco/Oakland on the west coast, and in South Carolina on the east coast... So until further notice, Chicago has been my personal FIRST largest city. And truthfully, I am happy enough with said status.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:43 AM

1,013 posts, read 913,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
LA is most certainly a beast. It definitely is -- and in most cases -- feels like America's second largest city. However, if we are being honest here, if anyone spent time in the central business district for *any* amount of time, they would leave with the very real impression that Chicago is by far a much more massive and vibrant city than LA. LA just seems small in comparison as far as the urban core goes. Not really a comparison. As far as metro though, LA is a beast, as you say. It just goes and goes and goes.
Agreed BigLake the city of Chicago is much larger and dense than LA and it probably always will be. They’re just laid out differently with different lifestyles in so many ways. And from the air both are ginormous but LA really is on steroids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago