Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Metra will probably work for you. Welcome to Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Technically would not work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat B View Post
Well, I will be working in the office complex just south of the 59 Metra (N Commons Dr).

Any chance I can leave my car out in Aurora for driving to the office and back? Not sure if they allow you to park overnight at the train station...
The rules do allow 12 hours of over night parking, but the car has to be OUT of the lot by 6AM and can't be in before 6PM -- this is not to just frustrate reverse commuters it is to ensure they can plow the lots in winter.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Schedule

Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,774 times
I might actually agree with Chet here, not sure I'd live in the city if I had to commute to Aurora every day.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:15 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,064,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
I might actually agree with Chet here, not sure I'd live in the city if I had to commute to Aurora every day.
I commuted to Oakbrook which isn't nearly as far and that, by car, was pretty bad. After a year I couldn't take it anymore.

I say go for it and try it out, just be aware that after a while of doing this you'll probably either 1) Look for a new job in the city or 2) Consider moving out to the burbs.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Default The kind of job matters quite a bit too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I commuted to Oakbrook which isn't nearly as far and that, by car, was pretty bad. After a year I couldn't take it anymore.

I say go for it and try it out, just be aware that after a while of doing this you'll probably either 1) Look for a new job in the city or 2) Consider moving out to the burbs.
Engineering jobs are more plentiful in the burbs. While the hipster types might lament the fact there those big suburban office campus are not easily accessed via public transit that does not change the fact of where the jobs are.

The nature of most engineering tasks tend not to be conducive to "punch in at 8, out at 5" schedules that fit with the reverse commute. If you firm asks you to go to a client site or travel out of town lack of familiarity with the region / inability to drive could be a negative.

Finally if you do decide to find another job odds are slim it'll be in the city -- despite the talk of firms abandoning suburban office campuses there are lots of firms that like the cheap office space and "everybody drives" combo that is the norm for such sites.

If you wanna shave a couple off your day there are worse places to live than Naperville...

Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,334 times
Have you considered maybe doing a 3-6 month sublet learn the city and see how the commute treats you?

I have done the commute from Aurora into the City and lived in the city and done the commute from Union to Aurora.

It's not terribly long but it does take it's toll. Some days I would feel like I'd put in a whole day before I even got to the office with trains, busses and when heading to the city for work driving to the Naperville train station.

I havn't taken metra in a while but I believe there are expresses on the way home but I think only like one or two which means if you get out after 5:30 or 6:00 your going to be on a milk train.

I just got fed up with it after a while, the normal smooth commute takes its toll but when the weather sucks it gets worse,then you got people committing suicide in front of your train, drunks driving cars in front of the train, happens every few months to my old trains it seemed that means some nights I dont get home til after 10.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,112,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Engineering jobs are more plentiful in the burbs. While the hipster types might lament the fact there those big suburban office campus are not easily accessed via public transit that does not change the fact of where the jobs are.
What's a hipster, Chet?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Folks that ride fixed gear bicycle for no apparent reason, have thick framed glasses, "mad at life" 'tude...

Look at this ****ing hipster

Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,112,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Folks that ride fixed gear bicycle for no apparent reason, have thick framed glasses, "mad at life" 'tude...

Look at this ****ing hipster
Seems like in your posts anyone under 30 who prefers the city must also ride fixed gear bikes with thick framed glasses.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Fixed gear bikes are popular with some fringe riders (not me!) But how can you get decent acceleration? Some of their riders opt not to have brakes, figuring they can back pedal strong enough when stopping. Definitely would not recommend it for pedaling from the Rt 59 station to the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago