Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 AM

24 posts, read 39,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You could also live in neighborhoods that aren't huge nightlife areas, but since the only areas you've considered so far are LP Lakeview and WP, it sounds like that's an important factor for you.
I just found the "quote" button on the forum page- my, that is easier! (I wear my thinking cap.) I just wanted to add on top of what I already said in response to this statement that much of my point in creating this topic was to see if I am on the "right track" in respect to what areas I should consider given thhe specifications I've mentioned. So, if you have any suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear them! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
OP: I understand what you're saying about the counter-culture trendiness. I was surprised at the difference between this crowd in Baltimore (where I'm from) and in Houston (where I live now). The Houston artsies, if I may, are artsy in "look" moreso than their actual interests/hobbies relating to art. I know this is a huge generalization; the truth is it's just a different vibe and a different crowd. Not to say that one is better than the other. I guess my point in posting was to say that I noticed the same thing when I moved to Houston. I'll be moving to Chicago within the next couple of months so I'm interested to check out the neighborhoods that are being recommended to you.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
I'd suggest a bike ride up Milwaukee all the way from where it starts to maybe Diversey & Kimball, if not Belmont. Then ride back east, zig-zagging around. That should give you some good perspective.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
well there is always rogers park...will get differing opinions on here, but its extremely diverse and one of my favorite neighborhoods. plenty of younger people, and laid back w/a strong community feel...smack in the middle between loyola and northwestern.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM

24 posts, read 39,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo
OP: I understand what you're saying about the counter-culture trendiness. I was surprised at the difference between this crowd in Baltimore (where I'm from) and in Houston (where I live now). The Houston artsies, if I may, are artsy in "look" moreso than their actual interests/hobbies relating to art. I know this is a huge generalization; the truth is it's just a different vibe and a different crowd. Not to say that one is better than the other. I guess my point in posting was to say that I noticed the same thing when I moved to Houston. I'll be moving to Chicago within the next couple of months so I'm interested to check out the neighborhoods that are being recommended to you.
If you are at all interested in what I decide on/why, feel free to DM me in the future and I'll try to give you some input from my personal perception of the area(s)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native
I'd suggest a bike ride up Milwaukee all the way from where it starts to maybe Diversey & Kimball, if not Belmont. Then ride back east, zig-zagging around. That should give you some good perspective.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico
well there is always rogers park...will get differing opinions on here, but its extremely diverse and one of my favorite neighborhoods. plenty of younger people, and laid back w/a strong community feel...smack in the middle between loyola and northwestern.
Great! I will definately look into Rogers Park, thank you! Is there any particular streets/sections you would say I should check out in the area to get a good sense of it?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM

300 posts, read 952,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post
If you are at all interested in what I decide on/why, feel free to DM me in the future and I'll try to give you some input from my personal perception of the area(s)!

Thanks!

Great! I will definately look into Rogers Park, thank you! Is there any particular streets/sections you would say I should check out in the area to get a good sense of it?
If safety is your concern I would not recommend Rogers Park. Its far from good night life as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:28 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post

Thanks!

With Rogers Park, I've only personally started to get familiar with the SE portion near Loyola. There is some good stuff on Sheridan, Devon, and Clark.

Otherwise, I frequently cycle to work using Pratt as an E/W street, sometimes. That lower portion of West Ridge (West Rogers Park) is quiet and fairly well kept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
If safety is your concern I would not recommend Rogers Park. Its far from good night life as well.
Depends on your definition of "far" and what qualifies as "good night life" to you. If someone resides closer to the lake, or at least close enough to Clark, you could hop on the bus and literally be minutes from the Andersonville stretch on Clark and just a little bit further until you hit :::shudder::: Clark and Addison.

I hope nobody misconstrues this as me defending Rogers Park. Xavier Xerxes would have a field day.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Depends what you consider good night life... Mayne Stage is right there that gets great acts, and there are several good bars in the area and restaurants down Jarvis/Morse/Sheridan/Clark/Glenwood. Rogers Park also has the metra that can get you DT extremely fast, faster than taking the red line or brown line from lakeview. It also has the best farmers market in the city. And some of the nicest beaches... And the closest neighborhood to Evanston, which people practically circle jerk to on here.
I find it ludicrous people on here will say stay away from Rogers Park, but they will gladly move to "west wicker park" aka East Humboldt Park and not bat an eye...
Plus you know...Rogers Park is affordable...for actual artists? not trendy hipsters.
OP I think you'll find what you are looking for around logan square/rogers park/edgewater.
http://glenwoodsundaymarket.org/
http://www.glenwoodave.org/
http://www.maynestage.com/
If people took opinions on cd the only place they would end up is naperville and lincoln park.

Last edited by grapico; 06-21-2011 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
... And the closest neighborhood to Evanston, which people practically circle jerk to on here.
LMAO.

You forgot to throw Oak Park into that mix, somehow. Anyhow, that was a helpful, informative post. I have yet to check out the Rogers Park farmers market, but may do so now.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Everything you're saying is pointing in the direction of Logan Square. Logan is close to nightlife (Wicker), its less pretentious, more diverse (seems like a pretty good sized latino population) and still pretty safe.

I'd even venture that it seems like Logan is where refugees from Wicker wound up as they were either priced out of or felt the neighborhood changed too much. It seems like a similar but more "Rough hewn" crowd, to overgeneralize a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago