Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Blue moon, Leinenliugels honey weiss, St. Arnolds lawn mower

Stella and Red Stripe

Thats a good start for someone who doesnt like dark strong beers
Ah Red Stripe, the only beer intended to be served at room temperature. For when you need to be intoxicated more quickly than refrigeration can allow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMegan View Post
I second blue moon! With a fresh slice of orange mmm!!!
not a local brew

Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Ah Red Stripe, the only beer intended to be served at room temperature. For when you need to be intoxicated more quickly than refrigeration can allow.
there are many beers that are intended to be served at room temp. Including Guiness

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,599 times
Goose Island is the only local micro brew that i know of that sells all around the city... micro breweries like Piece have their own beer but only sell privately I believe...

Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,544 times
Why the hate towards Red Stripe? I think that is a good, better than average beer.

As far as local brews go, I'm not too sure. The Goose Island Summertime (or something like that, not sure what its called but it's a Kolsch) is good. I believe Fat Tire is from Colorado, so not very local, and it's also an IPA, which is not a good beer for someone who doesn't really like beer (read: hops).

Crown Imports is a Chicago based company, and they are the importers of Corona (not very good), and Modelo (very good). Does that count as local?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
A couple local breweries worth note off the top of my head...

Bell's. Recently reintroduced to Chicago after a fight with local distributors. Maybe try the Bells Amber.

Two Brothers - Based out of Warrenville, IL. You'll find them in a few bars in the city with a decent number of beers on tap.

Three Floyds - based in Indiana. Big fan of the Gumball Head. If you like 312, you'll be a fan of this guy.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:41 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Two Words:

Ice House

Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
I believe Fat Tire is from Colorado, so not very local, and it's also an IPA, which is not a good beer for someone who doesn't really like beer (read: hops).
thanks for the correction. I'd only ever been able to purchase it here but I've never lived in Colorado so i just assumed it was made somewhere in the tri-state.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

Bell's. Recently reintroduced to Chicago after a fight with local distributors. Maybe try the Bells Amber.
I didn't realize that was the reason that this disappeared for the last couple of years. Someone had told me that due to the global hops shortage that they had forgone any significant production.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think I can actually hear Drover running towards this thread.
It's as if someone rubbed my Genie lamp.

Anyway, if you like things lighter and milder and you want to stay local, 312 Wheat is a good place to start. And speaking of Goose Island, it's about time for their Summertime Kolsch to hit the taps and grocery store shelves. That's a good summer "relax after mowing the lawn" beer. Other good local easy-drinkers would be Three Floyds Pride and Joy Mild Ale and Three Floyds Gumballhead Wheat.

Finally, not all dark beers are dry and bitter. A good initiation into very pleasant and drinkable dark beer is Piece Dark & Curvy, available only on the premises of Piece at North & Damen. Unfortunately, it's not always part of their tap lineup. But God bless the place when it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago